PDA

View Full Version : leasing pasture land?

tidy rabbit
Apr. 7, 2011, 11:14 AM
Hi all,

I'm considering contacting the owner of 12 acres adjoining us which are unused and asking if he would be interested in leasing it to us for pasture.

Have any of you leased land like this? If so, what sort of rates were you paying? PM me if you like if you don't want it to be public info.

I'm also going to ask my hay guy what sort of fees he's paying to lease land, but not sure if he'll answer that question.

Thanks!

tidy rabbit
Apr. 7, 2011, 11:17 AM
well, google is my friend apparently.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/fr-fact/0008.html

Looks like good old OSU has the perfect answer.

GoForAGallop
Apr. 7, 2011, 12:36 PM
well, google is my friend apparently.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/fr-fact/0008.html

Looks like good old OSU has the perfect answer.

Wow, I just skimmed the article looking for numbers, but those rates seem really cheap.

We charge $300 an acre...more for our certified organic land. Then again, we're in a different part of the country so that does make a big difference.

We also let out neighbors keep their beef cows on some of our scrubby land for free just to eat down the baby trees and keep it as a pasture. They offered us some meat at the end of the season as a nice gesture, but it was mutually beneficial anyway.

ReSomething
Apr. 7, 2011, 12:43 PM
Wow. That's a lot of math.

Anyway,a guy next door used to lease the farmland for his cattle and part of the deal was to maintain the fences - which was stupid on his part as they were at the end of their useful lifespan and needed to be replaced. Since it wasn't his place he did a lot of cr*ppy repair with Barb wire and the cows eventually escaped one too many times, and he lost the lease.

And the place where I started re-riding was a six acre pocket facility that leased an additional 5 acres from the adjacent neighbor. They kept the Shire horses in the five acre paddock and they too had fence problems, the horses seriously damaged the dividing fence between the two properties and I guess there was some question about who had to pay for it.

So there's my cautionary tale, but it was great to have the five extra acres!

Laddy Boy
Apr. 7, 2011, 08:39 PM
we pay our neighbor (dairy farm) 300.00 a year for a field. i'm not sure how big it is and I dont know how we came up with that figure - my husband just gives him the cash each year. we put up the fencing - it is T posts and electric tape so we can take it down if we decide we dont need it any more. we dont have any contracts or anything in writing - we are just neighbors. I know - could spell trouble some day, but I like to keep my rose colored glasses on!!;)

SMF11
Apr. 8, 2011, 07:59 AM
I leased an 11 acre field for free, but the lessee had to fence it -- so his costs were thousands. When he goes (10 years) I'll still have the fence.

katyb
Apr. 8, 2011, 09:13 PM
I'm leasing 30 acres next to my place for $125 a month. We installed some gates, bush hogged (and it was BAD) and are doing some fence repair. I'm hoping it lasts forever!