PDA

View Full Version : Do you use a full length butt bar across back of box stall trailer?

Whitfield Farm Hanoverians
Apr. 7, 2011, 10:53 AM
I'm afraid of mare/foal sitting down on back door & pushing it open. It's a new, very large Shadow trailer with cam locks on both full sized doors with ramp over that. They'll have both the box stalls to walk around in so it's not like they're crammed into a small box area.
Most people I know just put them in & shut the doors.
I checked on having full butt bar made by Shadow & they want $350 for one. That's a lot but I might have it made anyway just to be on the safe side.
Normally when I leave mare & foal loose, the big mare faces backwards anyway so it shouldn't be a problem. Also it's a well made trailer. But even so, I like to be over protected.
What do you folks do?

TheBandit
Apr. 7, 2011, 10:57 AM
I do. It makes me feel better when I trailer a mare and foal.
I have a Shelby 2 horse slant load.

CDE Driver
Apr. 7, 2011, 11:33 AM
I do as well. I just hate opening the back of the trailer and having them loose to the world! I want to have some sort of barrier.

I also know a gal that had a horrific experience with a latch failure on a back door and she had no butt bar. I won't go in to details.....

Blishon
Apr. 7, 2011, 11:54 AM
definitely do the butt bar ! my good friend had an awful experience and he horse ended up falling out of the trailer while driving !

fordtraktor
Apr. 7, 2011, 01:25 PM
The other issue is that loose back there, one could quite easily paw or half-rear and get a leg between the butt "bar" and the door and make quite a mess. I don't know that it is any safer to use a butt bar than not. I do not like the look of the ones I have seen that are full across for that reason. (Like the 4-Star ones, a sort of hanging, drapey chain -- no way would I use that hauling loose).

Horses can get into scrapes in so many ways. I tend to think that hanging a leg over/between the butt bar and the wall is more likely than a latch failure if the trailer has a good latch that is well-maintained, unless the bar is firmly against the ramp/door and there is absolutely no space between them or give in the butt bar. But then I have a horse that likes to get a leg over things, such as into his pasture-mates blankets and over Centaur fences and other things, to the tune of thousands of dollars of vet bills. I am extra-sensitive to that threat. YMMV.

When I haul loose there is NOTHING in there, except the thinnest, cheapest leather halter money can buy, the kind that fall apart when you sneeze on them. And some hay tossed on the ground.

Edgewood
Apr. 7, 2011, 06:07 PM
I do. It makes me feel better when I trailer a mare and foal.
I have a Shelby 2 horse slant load.

I definitely do too. Originally, my Trailet did not have one and I did buy one special order. When I ordered my new Hawk last year, I ordered that as well.

Edited to add: I don't allow the broodmare loose, she is tied. The foal is loose.

Whitfield Farm Hanoverians
Apr. 7, 2011, 10:26 PM
Yea, I usually also tie the broodmare but have a friend who does many many trips at her large breeding farm & she just puts mares/foals in without tying. I might put mare & foal up front in this trailer just to be on the safe side.

CDE Driver
Apr. 8, 2011, 12:31 AM
The other issue is that loose back there, one could quite easily paw or half-rear and get a leg between the butt "bar" and the door and make quite a mess. I don't know that it is any safer to use a butt bar than not. I do not like the look of the ones I have seen that are full across for that reason. (Like the 4-Star ones, a sort of hanging, drapey chain -- no way would I use that hauling loose).

Horses can get into scrapes in so many ways. I tend to think that hanging a leg over/between the butt bar and the wall is more likely than a latch failure if the trailer has a good latch that is well-maintained, unless the bar is firmly against the ramp/door and there is absolutely no space between them or give in the butt bar. But then I have a horse that likes to get a leg over things, such as into his pasture-mates blankets and over Centaur fences and other things, to the tune of thousands of dollars of vet bills. I am extra-sensitive to that threat. YMMV.

When I haul loose there is NOTHING in there, except the thinnest, cheapest leather halter money can buy, the kind that fall apart when you sneeze on them. And some hay tossed on the ground.

The bar I have is snug up against the back door, so no way they could get a leg over it.

judybigredpony
Apr. 8, 2011, 08:41 PM
I tie my mare as well, and my full length butt bar for Hawke Elite WB was $80.00

TrotTrotPumpkn
Apr. 9, 2011, 08:12 PM
No, I have not used a full length butt bar. I borrow the stock I use, so it isn't an option anyway.

I can't think that the doors on these trailers come open any more than the floor falls out while someone is going down the road--they are designed to hold loose cattle crammed in there, etc. Maybe the horse-only doors are not as secure? I have to hope that's not true.

I would worry about a leg over the bar (unless it was absolutely flush).

If I questioned the door or the latch's integrity, then that would be different.

Mr.GMan
Apr. 9, 2011, 09:49 PM
I definitely do too. Originally, my Trailet did not have one and I did buy one special order. When I ordered my new Hawk last year, I ordered that as well.

Edited to add: I don't allow the broodmare loose, she is tied. The foal is loose.

I have a Hawk that I am contemplating ordering a butt bar for the back to go straight across. Is it one solid piece? Also, what is the price point for the one you bought? I have a 2H BP. If Risa is reading, she might chime in...Thanks!

Mr.GMan
Apr. 9, 2011, 09:50 PM
just read Judy's post. That answers my question about the price point, but is the bar one solid piece? Easy to put up? I guess I could load from the side ramp and then tie him....hhhmmm. Thanks :-)

grinanride
Apr. 10, 2011, 06:48 AM
Chime! Hey Gman - A Hawk full width bar is $95 ( plus shipping ) I would use a bar...tied or not you choose, I do not tie for a box stall, I would only consider that in a trailer with substantial doors, outside latches on the escapes, never on trailers with camper doors used as horse doors... because the full bar is awkward to remove with a horse waiting to exit and there you are holding it, do consider in and out the side.
Risa
HappyTrailsTrailers
BalancedRideTrailers
SterlingHorseTrailers (in process)