PDA

View Full Version : Area II: Redland Post entries accepted until April 13th

In_
Apr. 6, 2011, 10:13 PM
Just spoke to the organizer. Due to low entries they are accepting post entries until April 13th.

Just wanted to post in case someone else might have been waiting to enter.

yellowbritches
Apr. 7, 2011, 07:10 AM
Wow. That's different. Used to be if you didn't enter on opening day, there was no way you were getting in. Such a fun little event, too.

judybigredpony
Apr. 7, 2011, 08:22 AM
Yeah..no need to worry those last minute mail ins won't make it :)

Beam Me Up
Apr. 7, 2011, 11:41 AM
Is the consensus that the BN/N courses are relatively straightforward?

IronwoodFarm
Apr. 7, 2011, 01:14 PM
Their problem this year is Easter. We has a similar problem last year when CDCTA was originally scheduled on Easter Sunday. It is really hard to get entries and volunteers on Easter. Even if you are not particularly religious, school breaks and family events seem keep people away. We ended up moving the HT to Saturday and did much better. My guess is that Sunday entries are low for them based on our past experience. My horse will be there on Saturday.

yellowbritches
Apr. 7, 2011, 07:32 PM
Their problem this year is Easter. We has a similar problem last year when CDCTA was originally scheduled on Easter Sunday. It is really hard to get entries and volunteers on Easter. Even if you are not particularly religious, school breaks and family events seem keep people away. We ended up moving the HT to Saturday and did much better. My guess is that Sunday entries are low for them based on our past experience. My horse will be there on Saturday.
Yeah. I keep forgetting that it's Easter, but that is exactly why we're only taking one horse instead of the 3 or 4 we thought were originally going...most of our families will be out of town or just getting back into town.

SparklePlenty
Apr. 7, 2011, 08:13 PM
Last year there were some difficult questions IMO for an opening spring HT. That said - i do like going there and they have really tried to improve it over the years.

:)

Sonoma City
Apr. 7, 2011, 09:29 PM
Anyone know who the photographer was last year so I could get an idea of what the jumps and venue are like?

Zoomd
Apr. 7, 2011, 09:49 PM
I did Redland as my mare's second training level last year, and I thought it was acceptable for a Spring low level event. The levels seemed to have a good variety of questions, including some that might bring a challenge to BN/N horses, but most of the jumps were well under height, making them pretty inviting.

Also, I believe its RedLine photography.

asterix
Apr. 7, 2011, 09:51 PM
It's usually Redland Photography.

Re: the venue. It's VERY lowkey and friendly. The dressage warmup is on grass, not entirely flat. Usually 2 rings (I think) are on footing; actually they might all be, as I can't remember riding in one that wasn't.

SJ is on grass, on a bit of a slope. It's usually an early season course, friendly, but very bright (the pony clubbers usually repaint everything with a heavy hand before the event).

XC typically is pretty soft, although they have to contend with a piece of property that slopes down to creekside bottom land -- there have been years when they've had to omit the bottom loop entirely (which means there will be no water for any division) when it is truly muddy. There is a new water complex that is less weather dependent but even so I think one year T had to skip that loop.

They have on occasion had a slightly uneven course design (itsy bitsy, itsy bitsy, itsy bitsy, MAX AND UNFRIENDLY, itsy bitsy...)...but it is overall a "soft" and good early season course.

That said they do have a water, a proper ditch, and a proper bank complex.

pharmgirl
Apr. 8, 2011, 08:11 AM
It's usually Redland Photography.

I believe it's "Redline" not "Redland".

Sorry, had to correct you on this one ;)

Ditto on what asterix said. The weather is often unpredictable the weekend it's held (usually one day is pretty crappy, or the day before is so bad that they have to take out some xc jumps), but since it's a week later I don't know how it will fare weather wise.