PDA

View Full Version : Exercises to help posting w/out stirrups

3 is the limit
Apr. 6, 2011, 08:22 PM
My trainer suggested that I do exercises off the horse to strengthen my legs so I am able to post the trot w/out stirrups. I am thinking excercises for the glutes and core. Any suggestions of what I can do around the house? She mentioned the side of the couch, but I just clamp my knees to hoist myself up...

wildhorse188
Apr. 6, 2011, 08:31 PM
I don't know if you have access to an exercise ball, but you can kind of try sitting on a small one with your knees touching the ground and try "posting". I [I]think[I] that helps your glutes.

This might not be relevant for you if you can't practice on a horse outside of lessons but my trainer actually doesn't really like the posting trot without stirrups exercise, but she makes us do tons of sitting trot without stirrups. When I was a kid I didn't think that was very hard, but if you try to ride as effectively as possible in the sitting trot without your stirrups, it will make you sore (and tighter in the tack)!

Prime Time Rider
Apr. 6, 2011, 11:33 PM
Try Pilates, it works wonders for core muscles!

SnicklefritzG
Apr. 7, 2011, 12:07 AM
I second the pilates.

If you do opt for workouts on an exercise ball though, just make sure your shades are drawn so your neighbors won't see. :lol: