PDA

View Full Version : PNW: NWEC Roll Call! Need Entries!

Heinz 57
Apr. 6, 2011, 07:09 PM
According to the NWEC website... they are running low on entries.

Any COTH'ers planning on going? I'm debating my own entry right now, but would love to meet up with some folks if I do go - very few eventer friends around here and I'll likely be travelling alone.

On that same note, if there is anyone south of Rainier interested in going that would like to trailer-pool, PM me! I'd be heading up from Salem and am happy to make a detour to pick up a horse or two.

Coeur*de*Cheval
Apr. 7, 2011, 12:40 AM
I was planning on going but my horse pulled a suppensory in November so I can't take him. An the other horse that I am riding for the season won't be anywhere close to fit enough :( but I was hoping to go, I went last year and it was a very nice event.

Lucky_Break
Apr. 7, 2011, 01:30 AM
I got the email regarding there low entries for their Mothers Day Classic and have been toying with entering. I was planning to do an HT later in the season (mainly because I'm so inundated w/work during the summer that it's hard to get away from the barn). Any input on how the course there would rate for a young horse doing his first HT? I would certainly love to meet up with other COTHers!

Mtn trails
Apr. 7, 2011, 02:20 PM
I'm not planning on going this year, but do plan on going to Aspen. Lucky, the course is a good one for a first timer. Very straightforward with no big surprises. There is one steep hill to navigate down so be prepared for that. Otherwise, it's really nice. I hear they're redoing their dressage arenas so the dressage phase will be on grass I believe.

fanfayre
Apr. 7, 2011, 03:22 PM
Lucky;
it's a LOVELY course, and a beautiful setting.
I wish I could go, but as my filly's only turning 3 and not yet started, we'll have to wait for a couple of years. See you then, though!

ShadowDansere
Apr. 7, 2011, 04:36 PM
My trainer is planning on taking a couple down, I think, and her client maybe one or two of her own horses.

Dunno if they've entered yet. I'm just hoping to tag along to groom!

Heinz 57
Apr. 7, 2011, 06:32 PM
Well, if I can get out schooling first... we'll go. I'd wait for Aspen but it's just not in the budget for spring, especially not in the same month as Inavale.

Lucky, technically this would be my horse's first event that I'm aware of - he's a jumper that seems to be transitioning quite nicely so far. He's more than got the flatwork down (been showing First/schooling Second), but I'd like to get him out a few times before the season starts up.

three_dayer
Apr. 9, 2011, 04:27 PM
I would have loved to go, but finals are the same day, and there is no getting around that in nursing school, so I am pretty bummed right now....Oh well!

Jane Honda
Apr. 9, 2011, 05:27 PM
I wanna go!!!! Whats the date? And, where is it?

It would be super cool to meet fellow enthusiasts, since I have NOBODY to hang with that loves eventing as much as I do...

Hopefully, when Aspen turns 5 ish, (pending his readyness, although, he's so steady and reasonable) I may take him to our first trials in a year and a half. I want to go to some before hand.

Lucky_Break
Apr. 11, 2011, 12:34 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys! This is what I was hoping to hear. My entry will go out in tomorrows mail! VERY exciting!

I will be alone so would really like to meet up w/others who will be there. This will be my first time doing an HT w/out a friend tagging along to help I hope I can pull it all off by myself. :eek: Regardless I'm super stoked.

I've heard some murmers that the footing will be a mess and I should plan to run my boy in studs. He's never worn shoes (just turned 5) and I would prefer to keep him shoeless as long as I can. Any input on if I absolutely should shoe him and get the shoes drilled and tapped?

Thanks!

Lucky_Break
Apr. 11, 2011, 04:30 AM
OH! Where is the best/closest hotel to stay at? Found great prices in Tumwater but that seems a bit far?

Outyougo
Apr. 11, 2011, 11:20 AM
entries filled out ready to visit PO today

A bit hard to realize it is indeed Event Season given record rain.

Here's to lots of road work for conditioning.

Of course drill and tap for NWEC (and most area VII events)

bewarethechestnutmare
Apr. 11, 2011, 12:22 PM
Lucky, saw your post and just thought I'd say hello. I'm an area vii eventer, and I actually live not too far from Rainier, so thought I'd add my two cents. I'm not riding at the event-- with this weather, I haven't been able to gallop at all, so I don't feel like my prelim mare is fit enough and the baby just doesn't have enough miles quite yet. :)

But Rainier is an excellent place for a first outing. The questions are all very straightforward-- mostly logs and inviting coops or ramps. All natural colors, and not a ton of decoration, and mostly under max height. They are completely rerouting the course this year, since some of the lower fields have recently been designated protected wetlands.

Footing-wise, for XC it's generally fine. You're on grass, so it's wet but the soil there drains really well, except for down on some of the lower fields-- but I'm guessing that's the new wetland area so it won't be huge deal. Some of the track that everyone uses will get mushy, but that's where taking a slightly different line comes into play, and there's plenty of room to do that! I generally have studs in, but I think that's personal decision based on what's best for your horse. Dressage and stadium are also on grass, and truthfully, I find that much more slippery than XC. But again, smart balanced turns and paying attention are key.

You might look in Yelm for places to stay. Or even Centralia. Welcome to the area. You and your pony will have a blast. But bring a rain slicker. :)

Heinz 57
Apr. 11, 2011, 12:55 PM
I will be alone so would really like to meet up w/others who will be there. This will be my first time doing an HT w/out a friend tagging along to help I hope I can pull it all off by myself. :eek: Regardless I'm super stoked.
Thanks!

Lucky Break - I'd be thrilled to meet you! I'll be going alone and besides Outyougo, who I've known in real life for a while now (prior to COTH!) - don't know anybody going and will be travelling alone. If it's not too awkward I'd offer to help out if you need anything or just want someone to hang out with during all the down time. As for hotels, there's another thread somewhere that I think mtn trails mentioned a place to stay that was only about 7 miles from NWEC - I'll have to go look it up, I was just thinking about that myself. My eyes were a little :eek: at the thought of having to spend the same amount on a hotel as I am on the entry + stabling, but alas - that's the downfall of competing alone!

Cricket - look forward to seeing you out there. Who will you be riding? Do you have any students going?

Lucky_Break
Apr. 12, 2011, 04:17 AM
Lucky Break - I'd be thrilled to meet you! If it's not too awkward I'd offer to help out if you need anything or just want someone to hang out with during all the down time. As for hotels, there's another thread somewhere that I think mtn trails mentioned a place to stay that was only about 7 miles from NWEC - I'll have to go look it up, I was just thinking about that myself. My eyes were a little :eek: at the thought of having to spend the same amount on a hotel as I am on the entry + stabling, but alas - that's the downfall of competing alone!

Heinz57, EXCELLENT! It would not be awkward and as I have never had to compete w/out someone around to help, hang out with, etc it would be GREAT to meet up!!! I found a great deal on the Extended Stay hotel in Tumwater but was afraid it's too far? Maybe not. Like you I balked at the $200 price tag for a Thu-Sun stay!

YAYAYAYYAYAYAY! I will be SO HAPPY to have someone to chat with, maybe walk my courses with and generally have another hand if you have one to spare!

Heinz 57
Apr. 12, 2011, 11:19 AM
Heinz57, EXCELLENT! It would not be awkward and as I have never had to compete w/out someone around to help, hang out with, etc it would be GREAT to meet up!!! I found a great deal on the Extended Stay hotel in Tumwater but was afraid it's too far? Maybe not. Like you I balked at the $200 price tag for a Thu-Sun stay!

YAYAYAYYAYAYAY! I will be SO HAPPY to have someone to chat with, maybe walk my courses with and generally have another hand if you have one to spare!

I'm strongly considering pitching a tent, if it wasn't so likely to still be as cold as it is now. I've actually been looking at campers for the truck, thinking that if I can find a good deal on an older but usable one that it would pay for itself in just a few shows.

I'll PM you with my phone number, I usually check COTH regularly but don't always see PM's right away.

Heinz 57
Apr. 12, 2011, 07:26 PM
I'm trying to plan a schooling trip to NWEC for this coming Saturday - the 16th. If anyone would like to go, its just me at this point. If anyone nearby/on the way wants to go - please let me know, I'd be happy to pick you up or meet you there.

The weather right now says sunny and clear - here's your chance!

Lucky_Break
Apr. 13, 2011, 01:02 AM
Heinz,

SO wish I could join you! I'll be on the westside but shopping for lesson horses all weekend. Blah. :D

Mtn trails
Apr. 13, 2011, 01:15 PM
The Pioneer hotel is a great place and make sure you ask for the corporate rate and you'll save a few bucks. Maybe you could camp in your horse trailer and forego the hotel altogether? I know plenty of people who do just that and think, no driving after the competitor party! :)

Heinz 57
Apr. 18, 2011, 02:10 PM
There will definitely be camping of some sort - I can't rationalize the cost of a hotel and the drive to and from every day!

Just popped in to report back about our schooling trip Saturday - weather was lovely, footing in the main field was pretty decent but we will definitely have studs handy for the show. My jumper-turned-eventer was a total star and seemed even more relaxed galloping XC fences than he does schooling in the ring at home. He eyeballed the water the first time in, but I'm hoping now that he's gotten his feet wet it'll be no big deal.

:)

Blugal
Apr. 28, 2011, 08:36 PM
I just sent my entry - they are still accepting late ones as of Tuesday! MREC here is BC got cancelled so I needed to re-route. I'm coming alone - I've never been to NWEC and would love to meet up with fellow COTHers.

Also bringing a tent - but considering the back seat of the truck if we get a lot of rain!

Heinz 57
Apr. 29, 2011, 10:50 AM
I just sent my entry - they are still accepting late ones as of Tuesday! MREC here is BC got cancelled so I needed to re-route. I'm coming alone - I've never been to NWEC and would love to meet up with fellow COTHers.

Also bringing a tent - but considering the back seat of the truck if we get a lot of rain!

Ditto the backseat! As of right now, the weather says highs in the mid-50's and showers, so I expect it to be wet and cold - not sure how fun that will make camping, but I'll survive.

What level are you doing, Blugal?

Blugal
Apr. 29, 2011, 10:54 AM
Training. I will try to PM people on this thread before I leave!

fanfayre
Apr. 30, 2011, 10:39 PM
Have Fun, Blugal!!! Wish I was going with you!

Lucky_Break
May. 2, 2011, 08:43 PM
Okay! Leaving on Thursday for the show and planning to stay in my trailer. My boy got his first set of shoes. The trial run w/our studs have proven quite useful and my boy seemed to figure out quickly that they give him excellent traction.

When/where is the competitor party? Getting myself presentable for a party seems dubious in a horse trailer w/no running water! I'm looking forward to seeing the AR's under their blue tent and hopefully meeting up w/Heinz57 and I hope other COTHer's... how will we know each other?

I have never 'roughed' it so worrying about how to pull it all off! :D

Heinz 57
May. 3, 2011, 11:22 AM
Lucky,

Just look for the truck with the primer grey fender/door and a seriously cracked windshield (thank you, wreck). If that doesn't work, my gelding is the mostly-solid-chestnut paint with three splashy whites and one blue eye - I'm stuck showing him under Caliente until I get his USEF info changed.

If all else fails, you've got my number!

I will also note with antipathy that the weather says RAIN, RAIN, RAIN for Friday, Saturday, AND Sunday. I'm bringing lots of extra clothes. Oy. And wine!

Lucky_Break
May. 4, 2011, 01:44 AM
Aw heck Heinz, can't you do something about that weather report. My last HT 4 years ago was in a downpour and I did not enjoy that at all. Sigh. My pony and I have never been out riding in the rain (oh what a sheltered boy he is!) so this will be interesting.

Thanks for the heads up about extra clothes! Sounds like I need rain gear which I do NOT have. UGH UGH UGH! A hotel is sounding better and better but may stretch the budget too far. Sigh.

fanfayre
May. 8, 2011, 06:21 PM
CONGRATULATIONS, Blugal!!!
What happened with the Intermediates? All but 2 didn't finish!...

Heinz 57
May. 8, 2011, 07:59 PM
I can vouch that Blugal did a fantastic job!

I, on the other hand... we had some miscommunication at the Trakehner, fence 15 of 19 - I took the wrong line (darn trees are confusing!), horse blew through my outside aids on the turn, and by the time I was able to get him straight and back onto the fence he had stalled out so much that we met that no-man's land distance, too close to add but almost too far for a flyer.

We took the flyer, and launch he did. I came a-tumbling off on the landing side, right into a mud puddle. I'm hoping the on-site photographer got some pictures pre-fall so I can verify but he was really blasting hard off the ground to every fence. Prior to the (totally my fault!) fall, we were having a good go and had really just gotten into the groove.

I wasn't able to get the helmet cam set up in time but I do have pictures of the entire course, fence by fence. The Snowy River drop is quite the hair-raiser.

As for the I division... I didn't stick around to watch, but considering I ran at 9:38 and the footing was already unbelievably dicey in spots, I'd guess that the footing was just too horrible by the time they ran all the training & prelim divisions.

Calvincrowe
May. 8, 2011, 09:21 PM
I saw you had that RF, Heinz--so glad you are ok. My SIL's trainer ran in the intermediate division--clear CC, but jumped the wrong fence in stadium. She laughed about it afterward, but her boy was jumping really, really well to that point and she was in first. I'd guess that the footing sucked, yes, but that many folks haven't gotten out to school this season much (if at all) with this weather.

I love reading about how our PNW eventers are doing- it is fun trying to figure out identities from here to the scores posted online. Oh..that sounds a bit stalkerish, doesn't it:lol:

Heinz 57
May. 9, 2011, 10:43 AM
You are probably right, calvin. I *did* get out to school at NWEC beforehand just for that reason, and I was glad I did. IMO, the course was decent for the first event of the year - there were a few lines I wasn't totally fond of but everything rode nicely on a game horse.

We had some issues in dressage - I've never had such a terrible, misbehaving test on this horse, and I've been showing him at straight dressage shows all spring with consistent mid-60's scores at First level. Just too much commotion, as best I can figure - all three rings AND the warmup area/bit check were clustered in one small area.

Despite the rain, we still had fun. :) I have some saddle fit issues to figure out on my end - I'm starting to think my Delgrange's stirrup bars are just in the wrong place for my legs, which contributed to my temporary loss of upright orientation. If I can get that figured out, we'll be game and fired up for Inavale in June.

fanfayre
May. 9, 2011, 11:14 AM
Calvinc- I know to whom you're referring! A good friend, and she posts here too! I wondered how she got the TE...
Heinz- glad the weekend wasn't a complete washout- the main point IS fun, after all. I wondered if you were getting rain- we had clouds, but not a drop all weekend- for a change!

Lucky_Break
May. 9, 2011, 07:33 PM
NWEC was wet and cold but wonderful! I couldn't believe how helpful and nice the staff were. In addition I was delighted to meet many fellow eventers who were so friendly and helpful!

Camping out was cold but fun and I was really delighted w/the way my boy handled everything. Thanks to all who volunteered and to NWEC for putting on a fun event! I hope to be back soon!

Bummed I didn't manage to meet up w/any of the COTH'ers! :(

Blugal
May. 10, 2011, 02:41 AM
Thanks fanfayre - my horse was amazing (she's a bit of a machine - gets the job done despite what I'm doing on top) and I had a great time. My sister showed up at the last minute which was nice since she is an expert at tarping tents! It was very necessary!

Met Heinz 57 which was great - disappointing weekend though for you! Sorry I did not meet you Lucky_Break & Outyougo - I seemed to spend quite a lot of time standing in my horse's stall waiting for the rain to pass so I could go do something before hanging out in my horse trailer waiting for the rain to pass etc. etc.

As far as the Intermediates, I heard some of them decided in advance to pull up before going to the bottom field. Yes, the footing was muddy but they weren't on the same track as everyone else so I don't think that was really the problem. I was approximately the 50th Training rider to go so I did have a deeper track to deal with and it was fine (kept my leg on and had studs in).

Mtn trails
May. 10, 2011, 01:03 PM
Blugal, which training were you in? There were about 4 divisions. Did you win?

Blugal
May. 10, 2011, 04:37 PM
We were in Training Rider, and unexpectedly won (if anyone had seen my dressage lesson the day before... I think a monkey would have done a better job!)

Mtn trails
May. 10, 2011, 06:12 PM
Congratulations then! A friend of mine was in your division, Caitlin on Red Dwarf, she came in 4th.

Now on to Aspen...

Blugal
May. 10, 2011, 06:58 PM
Thanks! Congrats to Caitlin too - the scores were very close.

If anyone has any pictures, please post!

Heinz 57
May. 11, 2011, 11:33 AM
Thanks! Congrats to Caitlin too - the scores were very close.

If anyone has any pictures, please post!

Not that it's quite the same, but I'm working on uploading my course walk photos of each fence - I'll post the album as soon as they are done. I was particularly interested in sharing the Snow River drop/hill! :)

ETA: Here it is - http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/1003/erin7264/NWEC%20May%202011/

They should be in order.

I emailed Michelle Reed and it looks like she got some pictures of us - my CD should be here around the end of next week. You might check with her to see if she managed to get any photos of you; sounds like she was able to catch some moments of a lot of folks (like me) that didn't actually sign up.