PDA

View Full Version : Big Consignment Tack Shops?

Spartacus
Apr. 6, 2011, 06:07 PM
Hi everyone,

Besides Middleburgh Tack and Rick's Heritage, can you all suggest any other really big consignment tack stores that have an online following? Specifically for h/j saddles, I mean.

thanks!

meupatdoes
Apr. 6, 2011, 06:13 PM
I just dropped off two saddles with Patricia at www.fine-used-saddles.com

While the saddles haven't sold yet so I can't speak for the completed transaction, I have to say that she was very professional in person, the website looks fab with great pics, and I got a very good first impression from her.

Also she charges 20% commission instead of the 25% I started to see when looking around, and no little "photographing it" or "re-cleaning it" fees which some of the other places were adding ON TOP of the 25%.

She pretty much only deals with the higher end brands though; not sure what you're interested in selling/buying.

Spartacus
Apr. 6, 2011, 06:17 PM
Thanks! It's an Antares--so I"m thinking she would take it.

ynl063w
Apr. 6, 2011, 06:20 PM
Agree with meupatdoes. I tried a saddle from Patricia a few years ago and although I didn't buy it, she was awesome to work with and the shipping back and forth was totally painless (and I was worried about that).

kelsey97
Apr. 6, 2011, 06:30 PM
My barnmates have purchased saddles through Patricia at fine-used-saddles.com and I currently have one for sale with her. She gets good traffic on her site and is wonderful to deal with.

vxf111
Apr. 6, 2011, 09:13 PM
Meup, what did you send her?

Green Acres
Apr. 6, 2011, 09:31 PM
I bought a saddle from Patricia last fall, great transaction - love the saddle. I'm about to send her my other saddle to sell sine I'm having no luck selling it myself. :(

Her website is great and she's easy to work with!!!

meupatdoes
Apr. 6, 2011, 09:32 PM
Meup, what did you send her?

My infernal Tad that I have been trying to get rid of forever and an Amerigo Pinerolo that I quite like but it isn't right for either of my current horses and the up and coming First Year horse would really like one that fits *justright* instead of sharing the other horse's Albion.

So if anyone wants an infernal Tad or an Amerigo Pinerolo, holler now before they get sent off for detailing.

vxf111
Apr. 6, 2011, 09:51 PM
Oh, go fig that you're getting rid of those. I am hunting an Albion/Black Country-- both a close contact and dressage. I thought you maybe maybe might be relinquishing one of those. Drat...

meupatdoes
Apr. 6, 2011, 11:05 PM
Oh, go fig that you're getting rid of those. I am hunting an Albion/Black Country-- both a close contact and dressage. I thought you maybe maybe might be relinquishing one of those. Drat...

Ahahaha! noooo, I'll keep that one.
Sporting try though!* ;)
:lol::lol:

*(that said, there are some Black Countrys on Patricia's site.
Just sayin'...)

Infernal Tad, anyone?
...Anyone?

bluebuckets
Apr. 6, 2011, 11:41 PM
I bought a used saddle through Pinnacle Horseware in Colorado, and I had a very good experience. I am going to be sending it back to them for consignment as well, as I have had no luck selling it on my own and their consignment policy seems straightforward. (It fit my mare for a while, but then she started to go from racing muscle to riding muscle and it didn't fit anymore- nothing to do with Pinnacle!) You might try there?

Green Acres
Apr. 7, 2011, 07:37 AM

Any interest in a County Stabilizer?? :lol:

vxf111
Apr. 7, 2011, 08:08 AM
Any interest in a County Stabilizer?? :lol:

Yes, maybe... not exactly what I was looking for but in the realm! If it's a 17.5, PM me.

Goddammit I hate saddle shopping!

vxf111
Apr. 7, 2011, 08:09 AM
Ahahaha! noooo, I'll keep that one.
Sporting try though!* ;)
:lol::lol:

*(that said, there are some Black Countrys on Patricia's site.
Just sayin'...)

Infernal Tad, anyone?
...Anyone?

I've been stalking, she doesn't seem to currently have the size I need

Green Acres
Apr. 7, 2011, 08:16 AM
Yes, maybe... not exactly what I was looking for but in the realm! If it's a 17.5, PM me.

Goddammit I hate saddle shopping!

Nope, darn it. It's a 17"... the problem is that it's a medium narrow so no one wants something that narrow.

oh well, off to Patricia it will go. Gotta get it sold since I got a HUGE vet bill yesteday.:no:

vxf111
Apr. 7, 2011, 08:54 AM
Aurgh! I feel your pain!

Spartacus
Apr. 7, 2011, 11:24 AM
Vet bill for me, too :( Thanks, everyone! I will contact Patricia right away!

STA
Apr. 7, 2011, 12:53 PM
Ligthningg, (yes two g's) and Beval have a great deal of used saddle traffic. Both buyers and consignors.

MHM
Apr. 7, 2011, 12:55 PM
Bevel also seems to sell lots of used saddles. I tried one from them a few years ago. It didn't quite fit the horse, so I didn't buy it, but they were very easy and professional.

MILOUTE55
Apr. 7, 2011, 01:17 PM
Patricia is great, I've been sending her customers for years since we don't offer consignment service (only trade in towards new custom saddles).

Everyone has been very happy with her services; she's super friendly too! She's also very careful on tracking the origins of the saddles she is selling and an active fighter of saddle thieves... A couple of years ago, we fought the same battle against an big stolen saddle network, that's how we got to become "friends" (well, professionally speaking since I never actually met Patricia, but I'd love to :yes: )

Amandine

Muffin
Apr. 7, 2011, 02:46 PM
I went the all-Albion route a few months ago, and found my close contact used online and my dressage on ebay. One tip... dig deep in the Yahoo and Google pages. I found my close contact like 10 pages in! A lot of the smaller tack shops don't have a lot of SEO juice so they don't show up on the first two pages.

I have to say, the Albions are wonderful! :)

vxf111
Apr. 7, 2011, 03:23 PM
I went the all-Albion route a few months ago, and found my close contact used online and my dressage on ebay. One tip... dig deep in the Yahoo and Google pages. I found my close contact like 10 pages in! A lot of the smaller tack shops don't have a lot of SEO juice so they don't show up on the first two pages.

I have to say, the Albions are wonderful! :)

I seem to have lots of good leads on the dressage saddle, less so on the close contact (more because it's a combo on the horse needing something particular and me not wanting a deep seated saddle, which appears to be the more popular Albion design).

I appreciate the suggestion, will keep digging!

Muffin
Apr. 7, 2011, 04:01 PM
What style are you looking for? I found a fair number of the K2s, but I wanted a Kontrol, which was harder to find. It was the closest to the SLK dressage saddle, fit-wise.

There did seem to be a bunch in England, too.