PDA

View Full Version : Halters - updated to say they are fabulous

scubed
Apr. 6, 2011, 04:40 PM
I own tack destroyers. So many of my horses go through halters very fast. Just found a great new (to me) source and have ordered. Will let you know if the quality meets expectations:

http://www.danzigbros.com/Padded_Leather_Halters.html

GutsNGlory
Apr. 6, 2011, 04:51 PM
Love the belts (http://www.mcssl.com/store/danzigbrothers/leather-belts) too! I have been needing a new belt for riding...

And a new leather halter for my boy...

I might need to do some saving. :yes:

Update on the quality when you receive yours!

deltawave
Apr. 6, 2011, 05:48 PM
Hey, Keebler hasn't wrecked one in MONTHS! :D

TXnGA
Apr. 6, 2011, 06:20 PM
ugghhh, mine go through fly masks like they think it's funny. And I get the heavy duty ones, and don't know how they tear them up like they do.

i should get stock in fly masks!:eek::eek:

retreadeventer
Apr. 6, 2011, 09:16 PM
This year I finally found something to help with the ripped sheets, blankets, rugs. Walmart, yes, Wally World to the rescue. In the sewing section I found stickyback cloth that repairs rips. Cheap. As in $2 for a packet. Nylon, waterproof, two pieces that will cover about 12 inches of rips. Navy, and green. I do not know why it took me so long to find this stuff but darn it's good and saved me a freakin' ton of repair money this winter!

OTTB FTW
Apr. 7, 2011, 09:32 AM
I own tack destroyers. So many of my horses go through halters very fast. Just found a great new (to me) source and have ordered. Will let you know if the quality meets expectations:

http://www.danzigbros.com/Padded_Leather_Halters.html

Wow! nameplate included? Pls do let us know!

goodmorning
Apr. 7, 2011, 09:46 AM
The Ocala Tack Shack makes beautiful halters, and they will take $15 off your first(?) order if you are FB friends ;) AND free shipping on orders over $50! I recently purchased two, and they are just as beautiful as my Walsh halter's (which they are replacing - old show halters & downgraded to everyday halters). Very nice people, too.

http://www.tackshackocala.com/

pattnic
Apr. 7, 2011, 10:02 AM
The Ocala Tack Shack makes beautiful halters, and they will take $15 off your first(?) order if you are FB friends ;) AND free shipping on orders over $50! I recently purchased two, and they are just as beautiful as my Walsh halter's (which they are replacing - old show halters & downgraded to everyday halters). Very nice people, too.

http://www.tackshackocala.com/

Agree on Tack Shack; I ordered one to use as an everyday halter, and then started taking it to shows with me and using it instead of my Walshes... even though I had them with me. I like it so well that I am ordering another... and I sold my Walsh halters. Wonderful to work with, as well!

Fairview Horse Center
Apr. 7, 2011, 10:09 AM
This year I finally found something to help with the ripped sheets, blankets, rugs. Walmart, yes, Wally World to the rescue. In the sewing section I found stickyback cloth that repairs rips.

Do you have the name of this? Thanks!

scubed
Apr. 18, 2011, 02:38 PM
They came today, leather is soft and lovely. I would say they are easily the equivalent of $80-90 halters that you have to pay extra for the nameplates on and come in several color combinations with brass or silver hardware and willing to customize in various ways if needed. I'll be getting all of my halters from here in the future. They can use a good conditioning. He tells me they are Amish made

purplnurpl
Apr. 18, 2011, 04:54 PM
where you do add the name that needs to be included?
~in the check out comments section?

I'm going to have my owner order a Padded Mahogany. :cool:
I was just thinking about how the new horsie needed a halter. Our others have their own leather with name plates, Abby should be no different. :yes:

lizathenag
Apr. 18, 2011, 04:56 PM
I am required to turn my horse out wearing a halter. I use leather and sometimes they break and that is ok with me.

However, once while playing halter tug of war, the nameplate came unrivited on one side and the nameplate stuck out perpendicular to his face. Needless to say, I no longer turnout with nameplates.

no one was hurt but I shudder to think how badly a horse could have been hurt.

Now I just magic marker his name on the halter when the nameplate would go.

scubed
Apr. 18, 2011, 05:05 PM
Show halters get nameplates. Turn out halters get duct tape with name in magic marker (or I duct tape over the edges of the nameplates and the rivets)

Purpl - I think I just emailed them with the specifics of what I wanted at the same time I placed the order online, but I did also put it in the comments section

Peggy
Apr. 18, 2011, 05:07 PM
Agree on Tack Shack; I ordered one to use as an everyday halter, and then started taking it to shows with me and using it instead of my Walshes... even though I had them with me. I like it so well that I am ordering another... and I sold my Walsh halters. Wonderful to work with, as well!Horse pulled back hard at a show and finally broke the pretty solid snap on the leadrope, but the Tack Shack halter held, with only a tiny (2 mm?) tear on the surface at one of the punched holes. $54.70 with nameplate and throatlatch snap and leather quality is good (no conditioning needed). Now if I'd only known about the FB thing first. Oh well.

scubed
Apr. 18, 2011, 05:11 PM
$54.70 with nameplate and throatlatch snap and leather quality is good (no conditioning needed). Now if I'd only known about the FB thing first. Oh well.

Is that for a padded halter? Because that is what I had been having trouble finding.

Fancy That
Apr. 18, 2011, 06:09 PM
I thought the Padded Leather Halther at TachShack was $85.

The one at Danzig looks lovely (Padded) and at $59, that's a crazy good deal.

I don't have a Leather Halter at all, and I've always wanted one...hmmm...which one to get :)

Horse pulled back hard at a show and finally broke the pretty solid snap on the leadrope, but the Tack Shack halter held, with only a tiny (2 mm?) tear on the surface at one of the punched holes. $54.70 with nameplate and throatlatch snap and leather quality is good (no conditioning needed). Now if I'd only known about the FB thing first. Oh well.

Peggy
Apr. 18, 2011, 07:39 PM
Is that for a padded halter? Because that is what I had been having trouble finding.No. Basic triple-stitched. I have a photo but FB isn't cooperating at the moment.

Starhouse
Apr. 18, 2011, 08:30 PM
I recently ordered a halter from Bill Danzig. It arrived a week or two ago and it was love at first sight for me! It's a gorgeous padded halter with the brass nameplate. It's not for turnout - waaaaay too nice for that! but my mare will be making a statement at her first horse show when she steps off the trailer wearing it :D

I wrote a little review on my blog with photos here: http://lucysquest.blogspot.com/2011/04/lucys-new-halter-from-danzig-bros-llc.html

Bill also emailed me to personally thank me for my business. :)

purplnurpl
Apr. 19, 2011, 09:40 AM
I don't know what to pick.

I was going to go for the mahogany but the mare would be sooooo cute with pink padding.

picture of mare:
she's plain dark bay and VERY feminine.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p189/xckaboom/abby.jpg

is pink padding gross?
what color leather?
what color buckles?

I hate having to make these life and death decisions!

scubed
Apr. 19, 2011, 10:04 AM
I vote black leather with burgundy padding and nickel hardware. I really like that look on the bays

runNjump86
Feb. 15, 2012, 06:58 PM
I think black leather with pink padding!!!

foxhavenfarm
Feb. 15, 2012, 09:25 PM
LOVE Danzig Bros. halters! After we bought a stallion halter from them, we purchased some weanling turnout halters last year and they are still in excellent condition. Very well made items and great prices.

Here (http://foxhavenfarminc.com/images/ArtrageousNov2011%20headshot.jpg)is a picture of Artrageous in his stallion halter with nameplate.