PDA

View Full Version : Towing with a Land Cruiser

kookicat
Apr. 6, 2011, 03:48 PM
(Please note- I'm in England, and don't have easy access to the lovely big trucks you lucky Americans do.)

I've been thinking about upgrading my towing vehicle for a little while now- I love my truck, but I'd like something with more towing ability.

My Hilux is rated to 2500kg/5500lb. The Land Cruiser is rated to 3500kg/7700lb.

That would give me the ability to tow more. I'm just not sure if the Land Cruiser is tough enough. I tow a trailer weighing 1000kg empty, and use it two or three times a week on hilly roads.

What do you guys think? :)

Thanks!

atlatl
Apr. 6, 2011, 03:53 PM
Drive carefully, go slowly and be careful. You'll probably live to tell the tale. I'd be a little concerned about the length of the wheel base so you might want talk to someone about a stabilizing hitch to avoid the trailer wagging the tow vehicle around. Of course, the trailer should have it's own electric brakes.

Ever intrepid you Brits :)

kookicat
Apr. 6, 2011, 03:57 PM
Heh. I do that already. ;)

I meant to say that I've been looking at the V8 version, (http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/generic_editorial.jsp?deepLink=LV8_Specification_n ew&nodiv=TRUE&fullwidth=TRUE&edname=specSheet_LV8&carModel=Land_Cruiser_V8&imgName=bv/CarChapter/LV8/Imagery/LV8_spec.jpg&zone=Zone%20AMAZON&navRoot=toyota_1024_root) which is a little bit bigger than the normal Land Cruiser.

GoForAGallop
Apr. 6, 2011, 05:46 PM
I <3 Land Cruisers! The ones they dump on us here in America are lovely reliable vehicles. (Like any Toyota, really.)

It sounds like a bigger, better option than what you're working with now. If you already have all the equipment for towing with a smaller vehicle, and you're using the proper trailer (one thing Americans who point at small British tow vehicles forget is that you guys use much different trailers) then you should be all set. :)

kookicat
Apr. 8, 2011, 07:17 PM
I love them too. Very reliable! My other choice would be a Range Rover, which are very nice vehicles, but some of them aren't the most reliable things ever.