PDA

View Full Version : How many saddle pads do you have/ need?

4Martini
Apr. 6, 2011, 03:37 PM
Just curious how many of those square saddle pads people have and how many they think they need. I am cleaning out my trailer tack room and am a little shamed by how many I have. I think I need to bring some of them to the local therapeutic riding center as a donation. So, I'm just trying to baseline. (I found two still in the bag that had never been used and my horse has basically been retired for 2 years.) I am guessing I have about 20 different colors.

rizzodm
Apr. 6, 2011, 03:42 PM
Wow! Do you have a thing for saddle pads? I have a thing for gloves. They are in argyle, polka dots, stripes, and different odd colors. They are so cute I want them all!

scubed
Apr. 6, 2011, 03:47 PM
I have many, probably 10-15 total but all White, Navy, Burgundy. I tend to trash my white dressage show pads at a surprisingly rapid rate. They become school pads and then when I have enough, a bunch go off to therapeutic riding, riding school or some such.

I also have a gazillion pairs of gloves and 2 gazillion left gloves only. Most are black a few are navy.

pintosrock
Apr. 6, 2011, 04:00 PM
I've got maybe a dozen square pads? Mostly boring white. How many do I absoluely need? Maybe two. Somewhere in the middle is probably a happy medium.

VicariousRider
Apr. 6, 2011, 04:12 PM
I'm a mattes + baby pad person so I have 1 mattes pad and about 10-12 baby pads (big ones for dressage saddle, small ones for jumping). It's so nice because I can use a fresh baby pad each time i ride!

VCT
Apr. 6, 2011, 04:13 PM
I dunno.... AP pads.. probably 15+
Dressage pads... 10 or so...

I do have a thing for saddle pads.

And I've got 5 horses at the moment, and a one clients in training. And a retirement boarder that I hook up with a suitable lightweight person for hack when such a person is available. It's better for his physical health if he has a "buddy" to exercise him.

So .. I have a lot of pads.... but they all get used.

MeghanDACVA
Apr. 6, 2011, 04:28 PM
Have? way too many. I would have to go out to the barn to count but there are at least 2 big stacks.
Need? Not nearly that many!

purplnurpl
Apr. 6, 2011, 05:01 PM
four.

two sheepskin all purpose pads that will also work for my dressage saddle.

1 regular AP pad

1 dressage pad.
(well, two, because I had one made for the 2nd horse last year.

FIVE!! FIVE PADS AH-AH-AH-AH
http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Everyone%20Else/images-2/count-von-count-sesame-street.jpg

Late
Apr. 6, 2011, 05:17 PM
FIVE!! FIVE PADS AH-AH-AH-AH
http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Everyone%20Else/images-2/count-von-count-sesame-street.jpg

ok, that was just too great :lol:

billiebob
Apr. 6, 2011, 05:26 PM
I have probably 20-25 between baby pads and all purpose ones. I like variety and I hate doing laundry. I can't use all of them with my current saddle due to its forward flap, so I'd say there's maybe 10 that I rotate through.

My trainer says you only need 3 pads--one to wear, one to wash, and a spare. Which explains why she has several Stanley trunks of them. :D

enjoytheride
Apr. 6, 2011, 05:36 PM
Are you counting showing pads, schooling pads, ap pads, dressage pads, trail riding pads, half pads, riser pads, or grippy pads?

deltawave
Apr. 6, 2011, 05:41 PM
Only square pads? That cuts the number down a lot, since I am fond of fitted/shaped ones.

I probably have 10-12 "normal" pads for schooling, maybe half of which are shaped, either jump-saddle or dressage-saddle shaped. The other half are an assortment of nondescript square ones of all sorts.

I have two black, trimmed dressage pads that I like for showing, and one really nice shaped sheepskin one if I'm more in the mood for that look. :lol: I have about 3 square pads that I rotate for jumping phases at shows: my blue "Save The Three Day" logo one with the smurf on it :D and one with my trainer's logo on it, plus a nice shaped sheepskin one.

Usually if I use a square pad I also use a small sheepskin half pad, too.

There are probably another half dozen floating around that I rarely use but can't bring myself to part with. :uhoh:

NEED? What a silly question. :lol:

goodmorning
Apr. 6, 2011, 05:55 PM
Oh boy! I come from h/j land & have baby pads galore. Then, I have a couple Mattes pads, a feleecworks version, and some fitted 'show' pads. Then, I started using a dressage saddle every now & then -- needed some dressage pads, of course, as well as a beatiful Champagne one too...oh, and a Back on Track pad....

I think when you own horses these things just accumulate...I like to use a new baby pad every ride in the summer, have skin issues with one horse, and laundry once a week is plenty!

EventingJ
Apr. 6, 2011, 05:59 PM
uh.... 6. Two very old ones that are on their "last legs" (one blue, one that was once white), one black one I haven't seen (lost forever?), one black dressage one that I don't have a dressage saddle for, one sort of white one thats "okay" enough for clinics and lessons but not nice enough for shows, and one perfectly white one for shows. :) I really do need to pick a few more up, and perhaps permanently retire my two older ones that are starting to become threads.

If you count half pads, too, I have two mattes correction pads as well ;)

TBrescue
Apr. 6, 2011, 07:53 PM
Somewhere around 10-15. I like to use a new pad every ride in the summer, and hate to do laundry!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Brigitte
Apr. 6, 2011, 08:22 PM
I love having that big stack of pads to use.

But, I'd love to throw in a plug to not throw out your old worn out pads and quilts. Our local animal shelters love them for their dog and cat cages. Even quite worn out they still wash up well for the strays. Maybe your local shelters could use them.

Zoomd
Apr. 6, 2011, 08:51 PM
Have? probably 15-20 that fit the forward flap jump saddle...in many many obnoxious colors, about 10-15 for dressage saddle, 2 black thinlines with sheepskin (but probably selling one; too big for saddle), a collection of various risers, gel, sheepskin, grippy and others. I definitely have a thing for pads, and I'm always on the hunt for new ones on sale. (looking into fun colored dressage pads now, since I mainly have black and white)

Need? between my 3 horses, plus a few clients maybe 4 of each type would suffice for schooling plus an extra few sacred(clean) ones that hide in my trunk for shows.

retreadeventer
Apr. 6, 2011, 09:12 PM
OMG! We need to start a Saddle Pad Support Group. I stopped counting after a quick 20...but I used to ride 5 a day, too. Help. I. Can't. Stop. Buying. Saddle. Pads. Thank goodness Dover no longer has the 9.99 deal....eeek! There's a lot of us! We're sick! :)

mandalea
Apr. 6, 2011, 09:57 PM
We have tons at work. Purple ones, navy ones, tartan ones, black ones, white ones, green ones, red ones, kersey ones, cotton ones, wool ones, burgundy ones. We have 20+, and there's only ever 4 horses in work !

I have 2 white ones and a school one and a black one for schooling, and that's it.

Beam Me Up
Apr. 6, 2011, 10:05 PM
I have (for schooling, not showing) maybe 6-7 for 2 horses? But some shouldn't count as a full pad--I had a lesson today and took the best 2, and even those were pretty threadbare and nasty.

I hadn't even thought of donating them as kitty beds though--what a great idea! I think I've just been enabled into a few more pads.

Zoomd
Apr. 6, 2011, 10:09 PM
OMG! We need to start a Saddle Pad Support Group. I stopped counting after a quick 20...but I used to ride 5 a day, too. Help. I. Can't. Stop. Buying. Saddle. Pads. Thank goodness Dover no longer has the 9.99 deal....eeek! There's a lot of us! We're sick! :)

I discovered today at Dover..... It's back!!
http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=MA-1997A

(not that this helps the addiction, but a good way to subside it for a while)

pattnic
Apr. 7, 2011, 10:14 AM
My trainer says you only need 3 pads--one to wear, one to wash, and a spare.

Victoria's Secret also says that about bras.

Currently, I really only have three AP pads that I use, three that pretty much hang around as "backup," as I don't particularly like how they fit (but two are Baker plaid, so I can't get rid of them!), and one dressage pad... it's bright pink.

I have two square pads that are for show only.

I'm not really "in love" with any of these pads, though... so I'm always on a search for my true love!

leilatigress
Apr. 7, 2011, 10:44 AM
*sigh*
I have 3 pads. 1 white, 1 purple and 1 blue. All dressage pads and all get used weekly.
DD has 5 pads 2 white, 3 various color/pattern pads one of which is blue camo. I am always on the lookout for cute saddle pads and her first pad was
http://www.horsetackco.com/childs-shaped-novelty-saddle-pad.html the ladybug one. Trainer loves this pad cause it's easy for the kids to figure out which end goes where. I just donate the pads to the barn when I get another one for DD. Supermodel is a bright bay so I have a blank canvas to jazz up which I really really like. Though she does look horrid in reds and oranges. Did I mention I don't even own a horse? These all get used on the lesson horses.

JFCeventer
Apr. 7, 2011, 10:56 AM
Need? 2 plus show pads (white dressage, white stadium, green xc)

Have? Wayyyyy more than 5 :)

I have a saddle pad obsession and have half of my trunk at the barn full of them ;) I actually just started recently giving some of them away to people at my barn because I realized I have all these pink, purple, and girly colored saddle pads from when I had my mare that I am not about to put on my gelding :)

RolyPolyPony
Apr. 7, 2011, 01:08 PM
Phew! Y'all are making me feel better about having "only" 11.

(Of course, I don't actually have a horse....but we don't need to mention that!)

Sweet Thing Eventing
Apr. 7, 2011, 01:53 PM
I love saddle pads, or atleast I thought I did until I started reading this thread :) I don't have as many as some, but I only have one show horse and a yearling colt. I also tend to donate stuff to my school when I don't use it anymore or I think I am collecting to much.

I have a Roma white/navy SJ show pad and a white/black Dressage show pad that stay in a bag in the trailer until show time.

After that lets see....
One black/lt blue Professional Choice pad
One Roma black/lt blue for XC (whatever I am feeling that day at the show)
One Roma navy/lt blue for XC (switch between this and the one above at shows)
One Roma navy/grey for schooling, probably wouldn't keep if it didn't have my intials on it
One Roma white with navy/lt blue braiding and I probably use this one the most for schooling but never shows (it's pretty "dirty")
One black dressage schooling pad
One maroon and white (school colors) pad from a memorial show of a lost college friend, never used it (my horse is chestnut) but will have it forever.
With all of the above pads (not the PC) I use my Mattes half pad.

Reading over this it looks like I might have room for another schooling dressage pad and apparently I like Roma pads :D

scubed
Apr. 7, 2011, 02:01 PM
speaking of, has anyone tried http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=9505&cm_vc=Search. I don't like the diamond quilt and think this is very attractive in the Navy.

cnvh
Apr. 7, 2011, 02:18 PM
Hi, I'm CNVH and I'm a Pad Whore. Here goes...

1. ROMA sheepskin half-pad
2. Thinline Trifecta half-pad
3. Baby pads (4) (use in summer)
4. Ghetto sheepskin pad (remnant that I DIY'ed)
5. Purple square schooling pad (used by Horse's lesson riders)
6. Purple puffy pad (don't use much anymore)
7. Fleece half-pad w/ pockets for inserts (out on loan)
8. White square pad (showing only)
9. Black square pad w/ purple piping (showing only)
10. Fleece fitted pad (bought for a hunter schooling show, used 1x)
11. Navy blue square pad (ancient, just a saddle rack cover now)
12. Trail pad with pockets (used for long trail rides, a few x/year)
13. Bareback Pad #1, suede (use maybe 1-2x/year)
14. Bareback pad #2, with stirrups (use maybe 1-2x/year)
15. Bareback pad #3 Z(never use)

I've discovered that my horse really likes sheepskin against his sensitive OTTB skin, so 99% of the time, I school in the ROMA or ghetto sheepskin + the Thinline pad. In the summer, or when he's more prone to being sweaty, I'll add the baby pad to help keep him from getting sweaty under the saddle flaps, but that's it.

bambam
Apr. 7, 2011, 02:54 PM
have? I make a point of not counting but my guess is 20 or so (not counting half pads, fleece pads, riser pads and therapeutic pads- I truly do not know how many of those). I instituted a saddle pad buying moratorium a years or so ago which has slowed down but not stopped pad purchases. I have a problem.
need? 5 or 6 plus 2 show pads (1 white for dressage and green one for jumping phases)
I "need" 5 or 6 because I have to account for the fact that it will take me at least a week to remember to bring the filthy ones home to wash, at least a week to get around to washing them and probably another week to remember to bring them back to the barn and so I need other pads in circulation while this cleaning process goes on ;):)

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Apr. 7, 2011, 03:15 PM
Lol, I was JUST counting mine in my head yesterday. I LOVE saddle pads. I only have one horse to ride now (my lovely little mare!!!), but until last year I was riding three (my now retired guy, my leased schoolmaster, and then my new mare).

I have:
2 nice sheepskin half pads
2 good white ones for show or clinic
2 nice back on track pads
1 new Passier flexi pad in white
4 colorful schooling pads (including a purple and grey one that looks super cute on her ;))
2 older pads only used under a surcingle or in an utter emergency
3 all purpose pads that are currently not being used and are waiting for the day we will jump something :)

So 14 pads total, 11 in use. And always on the lookout for more :)

Jooles
Apr. 7, 2011, 04:11 PM
I worked at a very nice tack shop when I went back to school. We got a great discount on stuff - I have more dressage and all-purpose saddle pads than I can count - piled up in my basement. All sorts of colors too. And then there was that custom saddle pad maker at Rolex one year... Since my horse retired herself - I might just have to get another (horse) and put all those pads to use!:D

Trixie
Apr. 7, 2011, 04:31 PM
Tons, so I can match my outfit. Of course. :winkgrin:

retreadeventer
Apr. 7, 2011, 04:52 PM
I discovered today at Dover..... It's back!!
http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=MA-1997A

(not that this helps the addiction, but a good way to subside it for a while)

You're a G***dam enabler, that's what you are! (I ordered 2....) :) :) :)

yellowbritches
Apr. 7, 2011, 07:53 PM
The barn has a shameful amount. I mean, seriously, the amount is ridiculous. We have a shelving unit in the tack room stuffed to the gills with square pads and poly pads (plus a few shaped pads for hunting and the occasional trip around a hunter course, and a boat load of half pads). On top of that, there is a box in the hayloft that is kinda like the skeleton in the closet- STUFFED with MORE saddle pads. For the record, this is not MY issue, but the boss'...he has a thing about saddle pads.

Obviously, I don't need many. I have a thing for sheepskin because of Vernon and I have a a few high end half pads that go right up against his back. I have two square pads that are, technically, mine. One is the pad I got for being on the winning ATC team last year (which, scubed, is a Smartpak pad, but not quite like the one you linked...I washed it for the first time last week- it had been forgotten in the trailer- and it did not wash well....blah), and a dressage pad the boss bought for me for dressage at our three day. There may have been a few pads in the pad collection from hell that at one point WERE mine...if you look close you may even see my name! I actually prefer the half pad only look or maybe a shaped pad.

pretty sneaky
Apr. 7, 2011, 08:03 PM
Have? More than I need... but I've actually gotten rid of a ton in the last year or so. The truly destroyed ones got trashed, the simply frayed ones became cat beds, and the fugly ones went to a tack swap.

I have... uh... a lot. But, I have an excuse - I live in the deep south and I'm a bit neurotic about a clean saddle pad. In the winter, I might go two or three rides before swapping to a fresh one, but in the summer? Eugh. So, when I'm working with two horses a day and don't like to reuse wet/crusty pads from yesterday, well, the stack kind of grows (esp since I don't share pads between my two horses). I have enough dressage and cc square pads to make it about a week without having to do laundry... well, I mean, I have enough in my trailer to do that. My mother's garage? Might have a few more. ;)

I've purged a lot, though, which makes me pretty pleased - at one point, my saddle pad stack could be measured in feet, not inches... and, well, that's a bit embarrassing.

Though, I'll admit it - tack sale, Rolex, anything, really.. I'm going straight to the saddle pads. It's a thing. :D

Bobthehorse
Apr. 7, 2011, 08:26 PM
I have 3 fresh clean whites ones for the show, one dressage, one AP, and one shaped CC. Then I have 4 for schooling, 3 live with my current show horse (one dressage, a trashed ex show pad with almost no binding left on it, and two APs that have also seen better days, one is currently grey but formerly black, and one is currently pinkish but formerly burgundy and was a prize from what seems like forever ago), and one lives at the retirement farm with Bob for his occasional leisurely hacks. I wouldnt say thats so bad!

I do have a couple I no longer use that live in my basement, my old xc pad in gaudy royal blue and red, and my old old xc pad in those same colours faded to light pastel blue and pink that I cant bring myself to actually ride in unless Im hurting on laundry day. I tried to sell the new looking one (along with my other gaudy former xc wear), but all I could find a home for was the vest.

Wee Dee Trrr
Apr. 7, 2011, 08:32 PM
I think I have 10... and I quit buying them about 3 years ago, and actually sold about 5 last year.

I pine after them in tack shops and online...

Simbalism
Apr. 8, 2011, 12:28 AM
I am guessing I have close to 20 square quilted pads, several fleece show pads, and 2 pads for my western endurance saddle.

KBC
Apr. 8, 2011, 12:41 AM
My poor horses are obviously deprived, I only have 3 'using' pads and 2 show pads for my two horses.

I truly need to go pad shopping, I mean I have 5 saddles, that's only one pad per saddle, sounds like an unacceptably low number to me.

indygirl2560
Apr. 8, 2011, 12:55 AM
I have too many. My friend teases me all the time about it, since I have enough for about 10+ horses! I prefer the thickness of regular a/p pads yet I still have 4-5 baby pads. And several of my pads have been sitting in my closet at home since they looked great on my old horses, (a grey and a really dark bay), but not so great on my current horse, (a bright bay). Then we have my show pads of course, several of which don't fit my current saddle and need to go! So if anyone is looking for some saddle pads....;)

ddashaq
Apr. 8, 2011, 08:04 AM
10-15, I think. I had a bunch of baby pads that I gave away last year and that substantially cut down my numbers. I buy 2-3 new at Rolex and then clear out the worst of the old some time in the summer.

RougeEmpire
Apr. 8, 2011, 11:44 AM
I have approx. a BAJILLION saddle pads and saddle blankets. You can never have to many saddle pads/blankets/harness pads! You can also never have to many quilts either!

katie+tru
Apr. 8, 2011, 12:09 PM
I think I'm one of the few that probably needs to get some more/different ones.

As of now I own only 4.

- a raggedy white fitted one, seriously should just throw it out, but I want another because I like to layer a fitted pad on top of a square pad.

- a light blue plaid square pad from Smartpak. I got it at Rolex like 4 years ago and the outside is made of the plastic-like material. It looks like regular fabric until you get up close. But it hardly wears out or looks terribly used. I love it.

- A light blue/navy Roma pad. This is another one I should probably toss. It really lost it's thickness after a couple washes. It's all soft and sort of lumpy now, like a really old pillow. Not impressed enough to buy another Roma pad.

- a white square pad which I've kept at home for shows. Not sure about the future of this one... it was very short (over the sides) on Tru and I'm wondering if it will be too small looking for anyone else. I can't remember how or when I got it that it fits so icky. I'm thinking it may have been for my last Pony Club rally, a dressage rally, in like 2006.

I currently borrow my friend's half pad for the horse I'm working with now. I really just ought to get one of those. They stay on well, no sliding back, and look a lot less bulky than putting a shaped pad on top of a square one. I'd also like a to get a square pad with the thick fleece along the spine area on the underside. I ride mostly TB's or TB crosses and we must protect those big ol' withers!

kkindley
Apr. 8, 2011, 08:24 PM
need? a white dressage, an a/p, and a shaped one.

have? uh, lemme take my shoes off for this one... and this is after I had given away all my pads after selling the last horse. Been back at this game for about 2 years now and I have a problem. I can't not buy pads!! Luckily, red is hard to find, so that has limited me some, and Dover doesn't have red, so shew... but yea, square pads, baby pads, half pads, theraputic pads, shaped pads, fun colored pads. Big reason is I won't wash them in my own washer, so I need to dirty a big enough stack to take to the laundromat. And those big washers hold a lot of pads!! So I'm blaming the laundromat!