PDA

View Full Version : Guesstimating jumper class start times

Small Change
Apr. 6, 2011, 02:53 PM
I'm making my first foray in a long time into the jumper ring this year, so am full of questions. I can guesstimate the length of hunter classes no problem, but haven't had to do this for the jumpers. Do you still figure on about 2 minutes per round, then just multiply by the number of rounds? I know it won't account for the length of time for course walking, but am just looking for a general formula to decide when we leave the barn in the morning.
Thanks!

Jumper_girl221
Apr. 6, 2011, 03:07 PM
honestly, I'd call and ask the show manager. It really depends on the number in each division, their experience and preparedness level (do they know the course, or sit there at there going over their course), and the height/difficulty of the course.

Ray
Apr. 6, 2011, 09:54 PM
it also depends on the format of the class. speed rounds go fast, then power and speed, then table 2b

Small Change
Apr. 6, 2011, 10:14 PM
*sigh* So what you guys are telling me is that not only are the courses more complicated than what I'm used to from hunter land, but so is figuring out your timetable for the day??? My mare, who decidedly does not want to be a hunter, had better be grateful that I'm doing this for her... ;)

JinxyPoo
Apr. 6, 2011, 10:16 PM
I usually do 3 minutes per trip, half hour for course change/walk/drag and water, and add an hour to that just for fun and I usually still estimate hours early:). So yeah, definitely call the show and see what they have to tell you!

pds
Apr. 7, 2011, 01:05 PM
You can do all the figuring you want but if the ring/show is managed poorly as they seem to be are around here then it is futile.

accidental cowgirl
Apr. 7, 2011, 04:44 PM
My trainer has told me to roughly estimate 3 minutes per round for jumper rounds, and 2 minutes for hunter rounds. And I agree about adding in about 15 min per course walk and 15 min per water and drag (so a half hour between classes). Things could take longer, but at least you can figure the soonest you'd need to be ready.

Trixie
Apr. 7, 2011, 04:46 PM
So what you guys are telling me is that not only are the courses more complicated than what I'm used to from hunter land, but so is figuring out your timetable for the day??? My mare, who decidedly does not want to be a hunter, had better be grateful that I'm doing this for her...

Unfortunately... yes. :winkgrin:

usedtobeaweffer
Apr. 7, 2011, 08:57 PM
So I have always done 3 minutes for hunter rounds and 2 minutes for jumper rounds … I Usually add about 15 mins. for a walk and if they are dragging also then 30 mins…. it was usually pretty accurate unless of course it's one of those shows where there are a few trainers with the entire show and you end up waiting for one forever….. lol… but I am pretty sure the general rule of thumb is 3 for hunter and 2 for jumper… but who knows… lol… just my 2 cents