PDA

View Full Version : Adult Showing Ponies?

horsegal301
Apr. 6, 2011, 02:08 PM
Just wondering how frowned upon it is to see someone who isn't a junior riding a pony. I'm not planning on doing any rated shows, just some small hunter/jumper shows.

I'm wondering if I should find a horse to ride since I am 23, but it seems stupid since I have a pony that could jump like a pro. The thing is, I'm 4'11"... I sort of look awkward on a horse and I think i just fit her better.

Any thoughts?

STA
Apr. 6, 2011, 02:25 PM
You might fit on a pony better, but can the pony get down horse lines? Most Adult or Amatuer hunter coruses are set for horses. Also, if the pony is shown in the pony hunter division you cannot ride the pony in any class at the show.

horsegal301
Apr. 6, 2011, 02:30 PM
She might be able to if we worked on lengthening her strides, but I would be the only one riding her, no juniors in just whatever divisions i decide to ride in.

NiQi
Apr. 6, 2011, 02:39 PM
I say GO FOR IT! Dont feel wierd about it. I out grew im first pony ages ago. I have had him lease out for a few years now. When his lease is up and he comes home this summer I plan on showing him. Im a tad big on him. But I only plan on doing the local hunters with him. Since im also in my 20's probably going to do shooling hunters. Im lucky he has a pretty big step so lengthening is pretty simple for him to get the strides Im excited it should be fun. Keep in mind you could always do the jumpers to avoid the hunter rules. Anyways im rambling, Have fun.:)

kelsey97
Apr. 6, 2011, 03:06 PM
I'm a 5'3" adult and I still show ponies! I'm working on my daughter's 13.1 Haffy cross right now. Always check the prize list and local association rules, doesn't sound like your pony will be doing the pony hunters, so you should be fine. As far as strides go, I've done green ponies at local shows and added a step in the lines without penalty from the judges. I've also shown ponies with more scope and step than creatures twice their size ;)

Lucassb
Apr. 6, 2011, 03:20 PM
Just wondering how frowned upon it is to see someone who isn't a junior riding a pony. I'm not planning on doing any rated shows, just some small hunter/jumper shows.

I'm wondering if I should find a horse to ride since I am 23, but it seems stupid since I have a pony that could jump like a pro. The thing is, I'm 4'11"... I sort of look awkward on a horse and I think i just fit her better.

Any thoughts?

There is no reason for anyone to frown on an adult riding a pony. Whether it makes sense for you to show your pony or not depends a lot more on the goals you have and how you think the pony will cope with the divisions at the shows you've targeted.

If your local circuit is very competitive, and you want to, say, show for ribbons in the adult hunters... the answer may well depend on how long the pony's stride is, and how easily they will be able to get down the lines compared to the horses you will be up against. There are plenty of judges who won't necessarily refuse to use you if you add at the local level - but that can go out the window if the course includes an in and out that is simply too long for your pony to negotiate well. And the reality is that, all other things being equal, a rider who executes the course in the "normal" strides will typically place over one who rides the course just as nicely but with adds, so you have to decide if you are OK with that.

If you'd rather do jumpers, none of that matters one bit and you can just ride against the course and the clock, just like all the others.

YankeeTurnedHillbilly
Apr. 6, 2011, 03:51 PM
I showed a large pony on some of our local unrated circuits for years (when I was still an Ammy) in the Adults. I did the adds on her, and more often than not was not penalized for it, since I was on a pony in a horse division. Very rarely I wouldn't get used, and that was just how it went.

We now have a large pony in our barn that has tons of step, and does the horse step without any issue, and many times wins against the horses in mixed divisions.

I think as long as you realize that you win some and you lose some - and you are doing it to have fun and be comfortable (I am also small, only 5'1"), go for it!!!!

SkipChange
Apr. 6, 2011, 03:53 PM
I'm a 5'2" college age adult and was Champion in both hunter divisions on a 14h pony at our last local show. Won the hacks, 1 and 2nd o/f in both divisions. Local stuff it's no big. Pony did the double adds down the lines but was consistent with a good pace, correct jump, and correct leads. Class was a mix of adults and kids, horses and ponies.

Don't worry about it for the local stuff, have fun!

ETA: I placed over riders on horses doing "the numbers."

Sugarbrook
Apr. 6, 2011, 03:57 PM
Go for it and have a lot of fun!!!!!:D

PaintPony
Apr. 6, 2011, 04:19 PM
I was riding and showing a large pony up until about 5 years ago (in my mid 30's now). I did local hunter stuff and even some equitation, and then went on to do a bunch of eventing/horse trials.

I'm not tall either and the pony was awsome. Everyone at the shows always loved us.

Whistler
Apr. 6, 2011, 04:37 PM
I have a friend in her 40's who is petite and was rocking the local hunter shows with her pony a few years ago...against the big fancy guys and winning! I think it's great, and it also looks nice when someone proportionally fits their horse.

We have the Santa Barbara National every year and one of the weekends is breed focused. The ponies in the green div jumper class were mostly ridden by small adults. Probably all trainers getting them used to showing and crowds. It was fun to watch them all whipping around that arena!

TheJenners
Apr. 6, 2011, 04:53 PM
I'm peeking at 30. My pony is peeking at 14.1. Honestly, I don't give a rip what ANYONE thinks!! I'm here to have fun at this point in the game, and the pones and I fit well together. It helps that I'm 5'4'' in boots and actually fit her... ;)

For your perusal (http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/28451_1509898069007_1281017695_1416315_5707673_n.j pg).

caradino
Apr. 6, 2011, 04:56 PM
GO FOR IT!!

I'm a hair taller than 5'3", my pony is 14.1 and 1/2 with shoes on, and I can't wait to show him. :) See my profile picture for his midget cuteness. As long as you FIT the pony and they are capable of what you're asking them to do, no problems.

horsegal301
Apr. 6, 2011, 08:25 PM
Thanks everyone!

I love her and she's extremely athletic. She's Around 13.2, so she's a little small but a great little girl. She could, if I wanted to subject her to that, carry around a ton of kids in classes. She's a very "point and shoot" kind of ride.

Just to show her off - http://i.imgur.com/Nt6Cl.png (ignore my horrendous elbows, I've fixed that problem since last summer!)

RumoursFollow
Apr. 7, 2011, 12:42 AM
I have a customer that bought a very young pony prospect that at the time was stallion.. the kid is 14 so obviously we've gelded him so she can show him.. but I adore this pony and showed him some in the 2ft at schooling shows last year when he was just starting out and I joke with her all the time that I'm going to steal him and show him in the derbies. I have seen some really nice ones going around through the years that were very small horses, or maybe ponies. Especially locally, Im sure you'll do just fine. Just enjoy the pony! When they're good, they're great!

Rel6
Apr. 7, 2011, 12:46 AM
Does anyone know the rules about an ammy showing a pony at a rated show? Obviously they can't do pony hunters or childrens. For some reason I thought once you age out of being a junior you cannot show ponies at any rated show (except in jumpers). Is that true?

hj0519
Apr. 7, 2011, 01:21 AM
Does anyone know the rules about an ammy showing a pony at a rated show? Obviously they can't do pony hunters or childrens. For some reason I thought once you age out of being a junior you cannot show ponies at any rated show (except in jumpers). Is that true?

Not true, except if the pony is shown in the pony hunter division at the same show.

Rel6
Apr. 7, 2011, 01:44 AM
Not true, except if the pony is shown in the pony hunter division at the same show.

So a pony not shown in the pony hunters can be shown by an ammy in schooling hunters/low hunters/etc? Are we sure about this? Trust me, I want it to be true :)

supershorty628
Apr. 7, 2011, 09:48 AM
So a pony not shown in the pony hunters can be shown by an ammy in schooling hunters/low hunters/etc? Are we sure about this? Trust me, I want it to be true :)

Yes. Ammies can do anything that is not junior-specific (and that doesn't state that no ponies are allowed). Pros can't show the pony at all.

findeight
Apr. 7, 2011, 10:08 AM
Yes. Ammies can do anything that is not junior-specific (and that doesn't state that no ponies are allowed). Pros can't show the pony at all.

Yes they can. They can do any class defined as "open to all horses and Ponies and all riders". Low. Special. Schooling and whatever else they come up with to call them. Few do but it is not forbidden.

supershorty628
Apr. 7, 2011, 10:11 AM
Yes they can. They can do any class defined as "open to all horses and Ponies and all riders". Low. Special. Schooling and whatever else they come up with to call them. Few do but it is not forbidden.

I don't think so...my mom is a pro and was told by the USEF that she couldn't take a pony (doing nothing else at the show) in the schoolings.

findeight
Apr. 7, 2011, 10:17 AM
If the classes are not rated and defined as "open to all" and they are doing nothing else I have seen it here in zone 5 so maybe it's a zone deal????

mrsbradbury
Apr. 7, 2011, 10:21 AM
Well, back to OP for a minute. WE will have to do some research on the actual rules for pros & ponies.

I am a pro, and I have been showing my fancy large pony for a little over a year now at local non-rated hunter shows.

You may abosultely show your pony, pick the right height and do the appropriate add. PLEASE do not blaze down the line in the horse step like another poster said. That is wrong and dangerous. Unless you are on a super lovely, scopey large I don't expect to see you in the 2'6" or the 3', and you will be adding strides.

If I read you were on a medium, I would keep it to 2'-2'3" until you guys are really solid and comfortable, then take it from there. Keep in mind that our lady bodies are balanced different than girl bodies and if we are a bit big it can be hard for the animals to perform, especially if we make a big mistake.

Have fun, love your pony.

ponysize
Apr. 7, 2011, 10:47 AM
I have never seen a rule that restricts any adult (pro or ammie) from riding a pony in open divisions/classes unless the pony is being shown there in pony divisions. There are not usually any rated divisions available (with the exception of the Adult Hunters and Jumpers, zone specified), but schooling is usually open to all.

And to the OP, my large has beat some very nice horses over the years in hunters, jumpers, and dressage. She easily did the horse strides. I'm 5' and 28 and everything I own is a pony. My next show pony is my 3 year old 14.1 1/2h (if she stays there ;) ) out of the mare referenced above by another super pony.

copper1
Apr. 8, 2011, 08:05 AM
The Arabian Horse Association has recently added "14.2 and under working hunters" (heaven forbid we should call them "ponies"!!!!) These classes are open to all riders, pro, ammy, junior. No size divisions and all fences are 2'6". This class will be at Sport Horse Nationals this year in Lexington KY at the end of September. YOu will not need to qualify so any of you riding registered Arab bred ponies, bring them to the horse park and have a blast! Beautiful trophies and rose garlands to the winners!

Czar
Apr. 8, 2011, 08:16 AM

Not sure about the States but in Canada, you can show a large pony in the Adult Amateurs.

Not sure why you would however as they are judged along with the horses & adding the step would be penalized. I guess if you have a super fancy large that could walk the lines like the bigger horses but I have yet to see that.

tamarak_equestrian
Apr. 9, 2011, 12:27 AM
I'm 5'2" and sorely tempted to find a nice solid large with a big step to do the adults on, but I personally don't believe a large pony would be judged fairly in the adult ams on our A circuit. I know it should be if it does the horse striding nicely, but I don't think it would be, hence why I instead have a former small junior as my 3' hunter.

That being said, at unrated shows go for it with the pony. I've shown my large in an unrated hunter show as an adult, did the adds, and still placed well.

PineTreeFarm
Apr. 9, 2011, 11:20 AM
I don't think so...my mom is a pro and was told by the USEF that she couldn't take a pony (doing nothing else at the show) in the schoolings.

USEF rules allow ponies in Adult Amateur classes as long as the pony is not being shown in a pony class at the same show.
There is no prohibition against a pro showing a pony except for the same restriction as Adult Ammie Hunters.
Ponies can regularly be seen showing as Childrens/Adult Jumpers.
I think doing jumpers has been legal for a long time but the hunter regs are newer.

You do have to check your Zone rules. Zone II, for example, mentions ponies being allowed in A/A hunters.

If the unrated section at a rated show has specs set by a state, regional or local show association those specs may prohibit ponies.

"HU108
c. Ponies may be ridden by adults, however ponies shown by adults at a Licensed Competition cannot compete in any rated Pony Hunter sections at the same competition with a junior rider.
HU110
10. Ponies shown by adults at a Licensed Competition cannot compete in any rated Pony Hunter sections at the same competition with a junior rider "

DoubleTwistedWire
Apr. 9, 2011, 11:36 AM
Larges are set at the same 12' stride that most 3' divisions are set on (and the Larges jump 3' too) so I'm not sure why striding would be a hindrance. If the pony's not doing any other divisions, unless you go announce "I'm on a pony!" it's not like they stick you going into the Ammy ring. Go jump around nicely, and no one will know if its a small horse or a large pony.

Flash44
Apr. 10, 2011, 10:12 AM
I showed Flash Jr's pony in a couple schooling shows last year and won all 4 hack classes plus 2 out of the 4 jumping classes. It's really fun beating horses, since you feel like a bit of an underdog! Your pony is super cute - go for it and enjoy!

Czar
Apr. 11, 2011, 01:23 PM
Larges are set at the same 12' stride that most 3' divisions are set on (and the Larges jump 3' too) so I'm not sure why striding would be a hindrance. If the pony's not doing any other divisions, unless you go announce "I'm on a pony!" it's not like they stick you going into the Ammy ring. Go jump around nicely, and no one will know if its a small horse or a large pony.

Yes but in the larges, you are showing against other larges; not 17hh WB's that are walking the lines. Guaranteed you will be noticed on a pony that needs to carry more pace - it's not that it can't be done; it's just that a horse that makes the lines look easy is going to place over a pony that needs to clock around to get the striding.

Heck, people even avoid small horses for that reason. I think you can find a nice, small horse with a long step that can do well but it would be a stretch to find a large.