PDA

View Full Version : Brenderup

Jo
Apr. 6, 2011, 12:38 PM
Two quick questions:

Is it stupid to haul a Brenderup with a full-sized 1/2 ton pickup? I've only seen them hauled by SUV's.

How much would it cost to get one repainted?

Alagirl
Apr. 6, 2011, 12:49 PM
Last I looked a truck was better for pulling.

You only have to make sure the hitch is level, as I think most truck hitches a little high.

As for repainting? Not sure. Since they are fiberglass, maybe as a boat place (then again, a lot of new cars are as well...)

Jo
Apr. 6, 2011, 01:03 PM
Well yes. I realize that a truck is a better tow vehicle. I guess I wondered why I've never seen a truck hauling a B.

Alagirl
Apr. 6, 2011, 01:07 PM
well, people who own brenderupts usually don't own a truck, and people with trucks think they are death traps :lol:

Duramax
Apr. 6, 2011, 01:21 PM
I haul the Prestige model with our F-150. The truck likes it much better than the other trailers I pulled (Trailet steel frame aluminum skin bumper pull) and gets way better gas mileage and feels less taxing on the motor & transmission. I have hauled it with the owner's Honda Pilot and it scares me a bit just b/c you don't have the wheel base length and you get whipped all over the road when a semi drives by or the horse moves around.

joiedevie99
Apr. 6, 2011, 01:32 PM
I pull mine with a V8 Hemi Jeep Grand Cherokee- hauls like a dream. No reason you can't haul it with a truck. Just like any trailer, make sure its level and that you have the right electric hook-up.

I would guess you don't see many with trucks because they are double-triple the price of other trailers, so there isn't a huge reason to spend the extra if you have a truck that can pull a standard design trailer.

Bayou Roux
Apr. 6, 2011, 01:48 PM
I would guess you don't see many with trucks because they are double-triple the price of other trailers, so there isn't a huge reason to spend the extra if you have a truck that can pull a standard design trailer.

This.

We've hauled one with a GMC Sonoma for 15 years, and no problem. Currently hauling one with a Honda Odyssey.

True, we haul Morgans topping out at 850 lbs., but it's the B'upster that makes the difference.

sandyliz
Apr. 6, 2011, 01:53 PM
My Brenderup travels nicely behind my Tundra. It's well within the truck's towing capacity- which is dependent on engine, model, extended cab or not/wheelbase, etc.

deltawave
Apr. 6, 2011, 03:42 PM
I pulled my Brenderup with a half ton pickup for several years. But I think the observation that mostbpeople buy Brenderups to accomodate a tow vehicle (as opposed to,the other way around) is probably the reason.

blaster
Apr. 6, 2011, 06:07 PM
well, people who own brenderupts usually don't own a truck, and people with trucks think they are death traps :lol:

I love one liners! Funny!

Alagirl
Apr. 6, 2011, 07:52 PM
I love one liners! Funny!
:winkgrin:

Aussie08
Apr. 7, 2011, 09:59 PM
I've heard it all in regards to the Brenderup. They are not for everyone or for that matter every horse. But can't that be said for any type/brand of trailer?

I have a Brenderup and when I first got it I hauled it with a Mazda 6cy pickup for a few years, then a Ford pu, an 8cy Jeep Grand Cherokee and now with a 2003 Toyota Tundra. Every one of those vehicles were perfect for hauling.

Don't forget why they were designed and where they originated. Europe where fuel is much higher than here, and they just don't have large pu's like we have here.

I think if your vehicle is set up for safely hauling and you use common sense, and are comfortable with it, it's a personal decision.

Good luck

Xanthoria
Apr. 9, 2011, 03:43 PM

I priced out non-Brenderups with the same dimensions as a Baron once. Turns out warmblood size trailers are about the same, or more than Brenderups!

joiedevie99
Apr. 9, 2011, 07:14 PM
I priced out non-Brenderups with the same dimensions as a Baron once. Turns out warmblood size trailers are about the same, or more than Brenderups!

It depends. I priced out a new Hawk 2H, dressing room, rumbar floor, fancy tack box. I could have had it around 14k. All in, I spent 19500 on my Baron L SL.

Xanthoria
Apr. 9, 2011, 07:25 PM
My Baron TC was $16k w tax/delivery a couple years ago. But at any rate - $19.5k is not double or triple (200-300%) the price.... more like... 20% more expensive?

deltawave
Apr. 9, 2011, 07:30 PM
My first trailer was a Brenderup Royal, bought it in 1994 for $9k. Sold/traded it 7-8 years later with about zero depreciation. They do hold their value.

MistyBlue
Apr. 9, 2011, 08:13 PM
That's awesome, no depreciation after that many years.

joiedevie99
Apr. 9, 2011, 08:24 PM
My Baron TC was $16k w tax/delivery a couple years ago. But at any rate - $19.5k is not double or triple (200-300%) the price.... more like... 20% more expensive?

Fair. But I most certainly would have bought the Hawk used for $6-8k. I couldn't find the Brenderup used to save my life.

Jo
Apr. 9, 2011, 08:30 PM
There is a Brenderup listed in-state for a song, which caused me to wonder about towing with a truck. I already have a trailer but am always looking for the next good deal. ;) It was more curiosity than anything else! Thanks for everyone's input. :)

Alagirl
Apr. 9, 2011, 10:58 PM
I saw a cheap one the other day, too...
I would preceed with caution...:)

alternity
Apr. 9, 2011, 11:38 PM
I think their price is dropping now due to the parent company bailing out of the US market - they lost their local manufacturer or something? There was a thread about it recently. Warranty/repairs are also affected - makes them a much less appealing buy all around.

Zwarte
Apr. 9, 2011, 11:39 PM
Riiiiight. You make sure you steer clear of these disasters.

Where did you see a cheap one? I'd snap it up instantly. Brenderups are still the one of the best made trailers ever. Just getting impossible to find.

alternity
Apr. 9, 2011, 11:51 PM
The thread is here (http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=290673)

The fact that they are discontinuing US sales doesn't make the trailers a disaster, but it does affect the warranties and repairs.

I suppose it depends on the individual buyer/seller how much that fact ultimately affects price, but there are people who are not going to want to buy -- or at least not pay a premium price -- under these circumstances.

Which is great for the people who don't mind. Less competition in the market.

Alagirl
Apr. 10, 2011, 01:43 AM
That should be all the more reason to snap one up now.

No, I meant the cheap trailer, if it exists is probably in a sad shape.

I saw one for pittance on the net, literally only a couple thousand bucks for a 2h.

If it's real and in good shape it won't be there for long.

cheektwocheek
Apr. 10, 2011, 01:51 PM
I see a woman dropping her kids off at school every couple of weeks with a Honda Pilot and a Brenderup. I think it would be nice and refreshing to have something so traffic friendly. I am still archaic though & like everything big and clunky!:D

anchodavis
Apr. 11, 2011, 05:18 AM
I bought a Royal in 2003 to haul with my Subaru wagon (I know - gasp). I sold it in 2008 for what I paid and I had people beating down the door to buy it! I think they're great trailers - for me, it was definitely about acommodating my tow vehicle. A few years later, I bought a used Tundra and hauled it with that for a while before I decided to buy a Trail-et with a dressing room. The Brenderup hauled great with both vehicles. But I can assure you I got more strange/panicked looks hauling with the Subaru than with the Tundra. ;)

Zwarte
Apr. 11, 2011, 09:40 AM
I haul my Brenderup with a Subaru, too. Does a very nice job. I just bought a Tundra so I can tow the Brenderup AND a carriage in the back of the pickup.

These are remarkable trailers.

jn4jenny
Apr. 11, 2011, 11:01 AM
Then I guess I'll come out of the closet and admit that I pull my Solo with a Subaru wagon too. Yes, I get a lot of panicked looks. No, I am not concerned about the safety of my rig. I researched it to the nines.

Unfortunately, I'm now hemming and hawing about selling the trailer. I absolutely LOVE it but I'm in grad school and in a boarding situation where I hardly drive the thing. But it's so COOL and I'm worried that if I sell this one, I'll never have another like it.

Jo
Apr. 12, 2011, 04:56 PM
My question is now a "moo" point because the listing has disappeared. But I thank you all for your input. :)

Alagirl
Apr. 12, 2011, 05:32 PM
My question is now a "moo" point because the listing has disappeared. But I thank you all for your input. :)

slow poke! :D

HoofaSchmigetty
Apr. 18, 2011, 05:55 PM
Would you really put your horse in a PORT-A-POTTY on wheels?

Lieselotte
Apr. 18, 2011, 06:14 PM
HoofaSchmigetty - hard to take you serious with a screen name such as this and an unqualified comment as the above.
Have you ever even seen a Brenderup, let alone towed and used one?
So just go away and let the rest of us help each other with experience-based advice.

Xanthoria
Apr. 18, 2011, 06:15 PM
HoofaSchmigetty posts this a lot and other trailer related posts, mostly bashing various brands. Ignore him/her.

sgolshani
May. 30, 2011, 04:00 PM
brenderup replacement parts -

Give Jay Martin a call. 432-556-9631 or email jayandshawnie@suddenlink.net. He is handling Brenderup parts in the USA.

paintedtrails
May. 31, 2011, 10:13 AM
I really wanted a B'rup when looking a few years back, settled on a 2H WW that I picked up at a good price in the meantime. That really bites to hear they won't be selling in the US anymore:(
I really wish they had come out with some of type of LQ hybrid for the dressing room. Then I'd def go for it!

jn4jenny
May. 31, 2011, 10:22 AM
I really wish they had come out with some of type of LQ hybrid for the dressing room. Then I'd def go for it!

Fautras makes one like that called the Olympus Voyager. No idea if it's available in the US yet (I'm guessing not.) It's a 2-horse trailer with a living quarters including kitchen with sink/propane burner/fridge and a bathroom with toilet and sink (no shower). The table/seating area in the LQ converts to a double bed. They say the fully laden weight (with horses) = 2000 kgs, which is about 4450 pounds.
http://www.horsetrailersales.co.uk/NewFautrasOlympusVoyager.htm

I'm sure it will cost a bloody fortune. Even this one, which appears to be used, is selling in Britain for the equivalent of $22K+:
http://www.horseboxandtrailer.co.uk/Horse+Trailers__+Horseboxes_Trailers/151531/van+fautras+olympus+voyager+with+living+like+equit rek-320684849911.htm

2tempe
May. 31, 2011, 10:48 AM
I had one for 8 years and my friend called it a "porta-potty on wheels" - lol, I think she was jealous!

Re the trailer, I had very few issues other than normal maintenance and the effects of winter weather on things. I hauled it w/ a Tahoe. IF anyone is looking to snap one up somewhere, I would have the following opinions.
First, I loved it; hauled well, easy to maneuver, steady.
Second, I had a 2-horse but realistically it was most appropriate for one (mine are on the larger side...). Used the second stall for hay and stuff.
Third, I'm personally not fond of hauling by myself more than an hour or two, so the issue of long term comfort was not a problem.
Fourth, all my horses were happy to load themselves - a good thing, as there's not a ton of room to be in there w/them.

Said brenderup was recently traded in as the current horse, who is the smallest of the three I've hauled, was scrambling around pretty bad on corners. I tried her in a slant load, she's 100x better, so traded the little bugger in.

tveley
May. 31, 2011, 03:01 PM
I bought my Brenderup Baron Insta-Tack new in 1997. I cannot even count the number of people who have tried to buy it from me since then. It hauls like a dream and is still in almost like new condition. I doubt I will ever decide to sell it. It is my favorite of all my trailers for ease of operation. My horses love it too!

philosoraptor
May. 31, 2011, 08:40 PM
I towed my brenderup royal tc with a F150 for years. LOVED it. Best 2-horse trailer I've ever seen, towed, or put my horse in. I eventually had to sell it, but it went to a friend who I think really enjoys it.

I would not repaint it IMHO. The sides are not steel; they're not rusting. So the cost of repainting doesn't make it worth the "pretty" factor. Are you looking at the wood-composite one or the solid sided kind? My old one was the wood-composite type of sides. The sides brightened up alot with a good cleaning and oiling.

Do check the floor of course. It doesn't have the solid wood planks you'll find in other trailers. So if it is bad, you'll want a Brenderup replacement floor.

Brenderups hold their value and an affordable used one is hard to find. I had to drive 5 states away to bring mine back when I found it. If you can find one in halfway decent shape for under $5k, jump on it.

dani0303
May. 31, 2011, 09:25 PM
I have one. Original tow vehicle purchased with it was a 2005 5.4L V8 F-150. Recently upgraded to a 2005 6L F-250. Am I WAYYY overpowered? Yeah. But I don't care, much better than being underpowered.

And for the record, I also tow a 3-horse GN with the 250, that was the real reason behind the purchase ;)

HoofaSchmigetty
Jun. 3, 2011, 09:39 PM
Actually....Its just plain stupid to haul a Brenderup...Why would anyone put their horse in an equine port-a-potty with wheels?

jn4jenny
Jun. 3, 2011, 09:43 PM
Actually....Its just plain stupid to haul a Brenderup...Why would anyone put their horse in an equine port-a-potty with wheels?

If you're going to make an unfounded remark that shows precisely how little research you've done into Brenderup trailers, at least make it legitimately funny and creative. Call it a Chinese food takeout box.

airhorse
Jun. 3, 2011, 09:52 PM

We figure most of our horses would have one of those upside down before we got out of the driveway...

baysngreys
Jun. 4, 2011, 12:59 PM
Bought my Baron TC new on 2000, absolutely love it! I've driven across country several times, up and down the East coast a dozen times.
Yes, people have tried to buy it from me but it's not for sale. EVER!
I haul 2 17 hand WB's and they love it. It doesn't matter the weather or traffic, they arrive cool and relaxed.
I've had people say their horse would never go in it - yeah, right - horse walks straight on and stands comfortably looking around!

pandorasboxx
Jun. 6, 2011, 07:54 AM
I have an 03 Baron TC. I've hauled it with a Pathfinder, QX4, F250 and a Land Rover. I felt the F250 was way too much tow vehicle for it but I camped in the back so it did double duty.

Both the Pathfinder and QX4 had towing packages with aux transmission coolers and did great, although in mts hauling a full load I could definitely tell the difference between that and the F250.

I love my Brenderup. Hauls beautifully and is easy to maintain although I did have to replace the floor last year due to "uneven cleaning practices".:( Even if I get another trailer since I just purchased a 3rd horse, I'll always keep it. I had to buy it new in 03 as I couldn't find a used one for love or money. By the time one was advertised, it was sold quickly.

While they aren't for everyone, I would rely on feedback from those who have actually owned and towed with one.

keepthelegend
Jun. 6, 2011, 08:55 PM
I pull mine with a Rav4. It's usually ponies, but it's done two horses fine. I can't imagine having another trailer and it's been so reliable and well made I have never had any repairs done so the no US manufacturer would not worry me!