PDA

View Full Version : Spin off - Greenie in GB Clinic?

Jumper_girl221
Apr. 6, 2011, 12:06 PM
I am trying to take my OTTB to a Greg Best clinic in April. She's rising 4, has been mostly flatted and is doing x rails. I spoke with the host and they are doing a 2' "baby" class which is what I signed up for, two hour session, 3 riders. I did speak with the organizer to see if she thought it would be a fit, and thats what she recommended.

I have planned on taking her since the fall, but had some feet issues over the winter (which are COMPLETELY fixed) as well as some saddle fitting issues when I brought her back, so she's not QUITE as far along as I would like. She's been off property before, and jumped some small fences elsewhere. Her flat work is ok, good for a baby.

I've debated it back and forth in my mind, ideally, I'd take her in the baby class in April, then bring her back in the summer when he's back again to see what we've improved on/still need to work on.

I'm mostly looking for tips and tricks to get her started right since this is hopefully my derby prospect (if I can fix my riding...:D).

Is it worth taking her? Or should I just go ahead and take my sale pony, all 13.3 hands of her (I'm 5'10") thats been doing the novice jumpers and schooling 3'-3'6"?

The clinic is paid for already, my b-day present from my hubby.

This was a few weekends ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4x8kuRj3b0

moonriverfarm
Apr. 6, 2011, 12:12 PM
She is a cutie and seems very centered and calm. I'd take her!

pattnic
Apr. 6, 2011, 12:17 PM
GB is totally okay with working with super-greenies. PNWjumper (I'm sure she'll post) even started her baby over fences in a clinic with him. I would not hesitate in the least.

DMK
Apr. 6, 2011, 12:43 PM
I took my uber greenie to our GB clinic in February, partly based on your clinic organizer's recommendation (and personal experience) and I was very happy with it, so go ahead (and I had maybe jumped a handful of fences @ 2'0 ... uh, mostly the week before the clinic)

Jumper_girl221
Apr. 6, 2011, 02:17 PM
Ok, awesome! I really wanted his help getting her going "right" but was worried he would consider me a waste of time.

She was doing really well in the fall, but her feet started practically falling apart(I guess crashing from the track), and I was horrible and didn't notice it right away. I think it started giving her some pain on landing (itty bitty x rails) and she started to rush a bit. I've taken her back to ground poles and she's quiet over those, and is pretty good about x rails, but some of the bigger stuff she's a bit enthusiastic, although still controllable and its not anything scary (the video was the first time she'd done those christmas trees).

I'm hoping that Greg will have some good exercises and tips to help get her on the right track, I've always been pleased with my previous clinics :) She has a good head on her shoulders and is pretty reasonable. And theres nothing like the track for getting babies used to commotion!!!

kelsey97
Apr. 6, 2011, 02:18 PM
I took my almost 4 YO to a clinic in February and she was awesome! It was such a wonderful learning experience for us both. An experienced clinician like GB will be more than happy to help get your youngster going.

myalter1
Apr. 6, 2011, 02:28 PM
I wish I could take my green 6 year old OTTB!! We only trot jumps right now (and not many at that)....Good luck! Have fun, and oh btw, i am jealous! Let us know how it goes!

Jumper_girl221
Apr. 6, 2011, 02:30 PM
And just to show what I'm talking about with her feet, this was in July right before she was due. She had some major separation, and I had to get on my farriers butt about removing some of that toe. She was abscessing and bruising almost constantly with the shoes (my farm is a high gravel environment).

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l182/nicolemorgans/Kissey/kiey%20feet/rf3.jpg?t=1302113537

Her foot now (sound on gravel)
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l182/nicolemorgans/Kissey/kiey%20feet/2011-02-06_15-19-16_984.jpg?t=1302114112

and explaining the saddle fit issues, she went from this in July when I got her off the track
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30728076&l=aebc437cc3&id=149402250

to this in Feb, not being ridden...
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30868400&l=9fe48e7b78&id=149402250

she went from a med-narrow gullet to a wide, and I had to play around with pads. circuit half pad seems to have her fixed for now, I'll probably get my saddle custom flocked at some point.

Jumper_girl221
Apr. 6, 2011, 02:31 PM
I took my almost 4 YO to a clinic in February and she was awesome! It was such a wonderful learning experience for us both. An experienced clinician like GB will be more than happy to help get your youngster going.
thanks! Good to know :)

I wish I could take my green 6 year old OTTB!! We only trot jumps right now (and not many at that)....Good luck! Have fun, and oh btw, i am jealous! Let us know how it goes!

Well...we are mostly trotting at this point, only really cantering my small culverts and ground poles. I need to make sure she can do a trot in canter out line first I'd imagine....