PDA

View Full Version : GPA Stinks! No literally, it smells!

SUET1999
Apr. 6, 2011, 10:05 AM
:eek:
I love my gpa, but good lord it smells. Its not an OLD hat and immediately began to smell after I started using it. My old had never smelled before and i had it for years. I tried using odor eaters, I have aired it out, dryer sheets etc but nothing seems to be helping. I have seen where people suggest putting it in the top rack of the dishwasher but I just don't know that I am comfortable with that. Any suggestions?!

Donkaloosa
Apr. 6, 2011, 10:57 AM
Have you tried spraying the inside with Lysol?

JLD
Apr. 6, 2011, 11:08 AM
maybe sprinkling the inside with baking soda and leaving it in the fresh air/sun for a few hours?

BAC
Apr. 6, 2011, 11:15 AM
I wash mine in the kitchen sink with Woolite. Swish it around in the water, rinse thoroughly and let it air dry naturally. Don't be alarmed that it will look wrinkled when wet, if you leave it alone to dry by itself it will look like new when its completely dry. Mine takes a long time before it starts to smell, maybe I wash it once a year.

doublesstable
Apr. 6, 2011, 12:18 PM
I wash the inside of mine with soapy water and a rag. I only wipe down the outside.

Brookes
Apr. 6, 2011, 12:36 PM
www.freshhelmet.com works like a charm, they have it for boots too!

kelsey97
Apr. 6, 2011, 02:13 PM
I use Febreeze on my helmets, DAILY in hot weather. Literally douse the inside of the helmet and let it dry.

DMK
Apr. 6, 2011, 02:21 PM
febreze daily... and then I started washing it in the sink... and then I progressed to putting it in the dishwasher (heated dry OFF). Now I have one that has a removable liner for use in the summer and another hat reserved just for showing. The old stinky helmet is reserved for winter when it can't be "activated" but stinky sweaty head, because eventually even the febreze and washing seems to have limited effectiveness after a while.

But a travel bottle of febreze kept with your helmet is a very useful thing to have. There is also a new "sport" version of febreze I use.

klmck63
Apr. 6, 2011, 02:24 PM
I use Febreeze on my helmets, DAILY in hot weather. Literally douse the inside of the helmet and let it dry.

Aren't you worried about all of the chemicals directly on your forehead? I couldn't do it, I hate febreeze!

The new GPAs have removable padding, which is an excellent feature. But with my old one I would get the inside wet and wash it with disinfecting soap, rinse it really well, pat the inside dry with a towel and leave it somewhere out of the sun and heat to dry.

airineek
Apr. 6, 2011, 04:08 PM
Yeah, my GPA stinks too. I dilute laundry detergent with warm water, pat down the whole inside padding with paper towels soaked in that. Next, I rinse by blotting with paper towels soaked in warm water, and then I blot with dry paper towels to remove excess water. It also seems to help to hang up the helmet somewhere where there is airflow (and not in the bag) after each ride. It at least gets stinky more slowly that way.

I am intrigued by the dishwasher method!

Viva
Apr. 6, 2011, 04:14 PM
Charles Owen hat deodorizer works great and doesn't have an icky smell like Febreze, and it won't irritate your skin.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-36143&ids=586284994

TarheelJD
Apr. 6, 2011, 04:24 PM
Charles Owen hat deodorizer works great and doesn't have an icky smell like Febreze, and it won't irritate your skin.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-36143&ids=586284994

I use the CO hat deodorizer too - I highly recommend it. Just spray a bit in there as soon as you take your helmet off.

klmck63
Apr. 6, 2011, 04:58 PM
I am intrigued by the dishwasher method!

Don't do it! The heat is bad for the part of the helmet that actually protects your head.

SMNG
Apr. 6, 2011, 06:33 PM
I put my Speed Air in the dishwasher and it came out perfectly fine! I put it in there by itself, no soap, on the top rack, and used the special china setting so that it was very gentle. Worked like a charm! :yes:

ChafedToBits
Apr. 6, 2011, 08:43 PM
Dishwasher, no heat. Based on experience, I don't recommend using laundry detergent in the dishwasher...SUDS EVERYWHERE!

I also spray a little CO hat deoderizer in between washes too.

Good luck!

rustbreeches
Apr. 6, 2011, 08:53 PM
Fill a tube sock with cat litter and sew up the top. Stick it in after you ride. Absorbs moisture and funk! I have heard of people using pantyliners where your cap meets your forehead to absorb sweat and throw it away after every use. I have really bad luck, so I never tried that. I figured it would freak owners out if I had a pantyliner accidentally stuck to my head. I am a big fan of tossing my skull cap in the washing machine on delicate and pulling it out before the spin

caevent
Apr. 6, 2011, 08:54 PM
The Charles Owen helmet cleaner works nicely, but I end up getting flakey skin on my forehead after it's been in my helmet. Just a heads up to everyone!

SMNG
Apr. 6, 2011, 09:46 PM
Dishwasher, no heat.

Yes! I forgot to add in my post earlier to make sure the heated dry is turned off. After the dishwasher cycle, I just let the helmet air dry and it looked brand new.

klmck63
Apr. 7, 2011, 01:12 AM
I put my Speed Air in the dishwasher and it came out perfectly fine! I put it in there by itself, no soap, on the top rack, and used the special china setting so that it was very gentle. Worked like a charm! :yes:

But is it still safe? I would really bet no. And out of curiosity, why did you do that when the liner comes right out? What part of the helmet needed more than a little run under the tap?

DMK
Apr. 7, 2011, 08:28 AM
just out of curiosity, if no hi temp water was used, why would you think it would not be safe? Heat, I get, that's a no duh moment, but what is it about what essentially amounts to a thorough sustained rinsing that cause you alarm? :confused:

klmck63
Apr. 7, 2011, 11:03 AM
just out of curiosity, if no hi temp water was used, why would you think it would not be safe? Heat, I get, that's a no duh moment, but what is it about what essentially amounts to a thorough sustained rinsing that cause you alarm? :confused:

SMNG said they used the china setting, not no heat. My own dishwasher, at least, keeps the heat on for china. Otherwise, if it's on cold might be a little concerned about a lot of water getting in between the shell and the protective part of the helmet, especially on a speed air when there are so many seams.

Cold is safer, I'm sure but with something designed to keep my head safe in an accident I don't think it's worth it to go very far beyond the manufacturer's recommendations to clean it.

Napoles
Apr. 7, 2011, 11:42 AM
I have heard of people using pantyliners where your cap meets your forehead to absorb sweat and throw it away after every use. I have really bad luck, so I never tried that. I figured it would freak owners out if I had a pantyliner accidentally stuck to my head.

:lol::lol:
My mum does this. She got the idea from watching a show about transvestites who used pantyliners inside their huge wigs.
My husband was completely freaked out when he saw it and completely refuses to put one on his hat for the fear of the situation described above!

pds
Apr. 7, 2011, 12:01 PM
I place a "Wet One" antibacterial wipe sheet inside my helmet just before i put it on. Take it out and toss it when I remove helmet.

Seems to help.

Chic Hunter
Apr. 7, 2011, 10:22 PM
I have has my CO Hampton over a year. I ride with a bandana over my head, under my helmet. No odors at all. The current CO's are infused with a silver ionic fabric. Great idea. If it started to smell I would get some cedar bedding anf tie it off in tulle. Put in haed hat when not using. ( I do this with all my paddock and field boots) keeps them dry, smelling good and bug free.

ridealot
Apr. 8, 2011, 11:44 AM
I agree with the baking soda. I get an old nylon and fill it with baking soda and leave it in my helmet after I ride. I find it works well. I would also agree with leaving it out in the sun.

CPPCaptain
Apr. 8, 2011, 09:44 PM
I actually use the Sport Hat and Helmet Refresher, found in the link below. It smells fresh and clean, drys quickly (so you don't have a damp helmet when you ride the next day), and really deodorizes well. I tend to sweat a lot and keep my helmet on for long periods at a time (up to 4 hours if I have a lot of horses) and this really keeps the funk out. The trick is to really make sure you douse the inside of your helmet. The nice thing about this product is that it's all natural and can be used as an astringent for your face as well!

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-36219

RegalBeagle
Apr. 9, 2011, 08:52 PM
My approach is weather dependent but it works and is absolutely free.

After riding, leave your helmet in a sunny, spot - the warmth and sunshine dry and de-stink the helmet in quick order.

usedtobeaweffer
Apr. 10, 2011, 02:13 AM
I wipe mine with a wet rag after rinding and set in the sun when I can… otherwise I also put dryer sheets like bounce in it when I'm done… that at least makes it smell better…

SUET1999
Apr. 10, 2011, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!! I feel a little bit better that it isnt just my hat that stinks! ;)