PDA

View Full Version : Post-suspensory

VAevent
Apr. 6, 2011, 09:24 AM
My guy is almost there....almost back to full turnout. It's been a LONG winter, but I guess there's a positive in that his trot is much more forward -- something we've been working on during the legging-up process. But now I'd love to get COTH'ers opinions on jumping. After your horse's injury, when did he/she go back to work over fences?

Did you start with rails, cross-rails? When did you introduce x-c fences?

midnightride
Apr. 6, 2011, 07:47 PM
Since my filly had never jumped before I just started with the basics... she is so clever that it didnt take to many times before I had to go up to about 2'3 just to avoid her getting to lazy about them. Now if she was just as smart about her dressage ;). She has jumped a few logs xc and is scheduled to do her first "event" at Kellys Ford on the 16th (the Intro division, with cross rails and itty bitty xc jumps- really its all about me staying on!)

Time frame- injury was mid June and we started jumping late Feb. She has been on 24/7 turnout since Nov.

asterix
Apr. 6, 2011, 08:00 PM
Really depends, I think. My horse knew his job really well and is a very good jumper technically. He's also middle aged. So I took re-introducing jumping VERY slowly. I did just flat work and hacking for a few months.
I wanted him to be really strong, and he wasn't going to need a lot of mental refresher work to remember his skills.

I let him hop over smallish cross country fences early on -- again, he was a seasoned campaigner, so jumping a BN log was probably easier than grid work in the ring anyway.

steelbak
Apr. 6, 2011, 09:59 PM
Go slow, then slow down. That may not be what you want to here, but its important.

When you are done working, always feel for heat in the legs. Do not increase work if you feel an increase in localized heat. Cold hose, wrap, etc.

Remember too that footing is important. Stay away from deep or soft footing. Firm footing is good.

From a farrier perspective, if you can keep the horse in bar shoes and a natural angle, probably forever, you allow for a lot more support for the suspensory injury.

Carolinadreamin'
Apr. 6, 2011, 10:14 PM
Just as the other posters said, slow and then slower!