PDA

View Full Version : Can you show me your outdoor washrack?

spacytracy
Apr. 6, 2011, 08:16 AM
Sorry for the ridiculous number of posts from me.

I was wondering if you could share pictures of your outdoor wash racks. While the fence guys are here I figured they could sink some posts for me to make one.

I have never seen an outdoor washrack, though, in person, so if anyone has one, would you mind sharing photos?

This is what I am thinking
http://www.goldenstatecorrals.com/Web/index.php?act=viewDoc&docId=10

Make 4 posts, in a rectangular fashion, put rails up on the two long sides, and the front, so its sort of like a chute? How wide do you make it so you have room to get in there to wash the horse but not get squished?

I was thinking a chain butt bar with the padding could be used to "hold" the horse in.

I would also do some sort of stone base with wash rack mats on top for drainage.

Thanks in advance!

ChocoMare
Apr. 6, 2011, 08:46 AM
I prefer open-access .... just in case something happens and the horse flips out.

Mine: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2378993800015305252ERfpLU?vhost=pets

Mare is cross tied with safety snaps

Since this picture was taken, however, I've changed the mats to ones with holes for better drainage and added an Over-head Hose boom :D

AnotherRound
Apr. 6, 2011, 09:06 AM
Yes. If it was free standing away from a building, I would put up four columns (probably 6 x 6 on a cement pad, strongly scored for textured footing with a heavy textured rubber mat on top of that because all a horse has to do is whirl his head over his shoulder to watch his friend go by to snap a 4 x 4) about 12 feet apart. Between them, a strong board 4 rails, so the only 'side' would be the front end where the horse is facing. The sides open, the back open, and heavily corrugated or textured mats beneath for no slipping. The four columns would be two at the head end of the 12 x 12 or 14 x 14 pad, and two about 3 or 4 feet back for cross ties. That way the horse is facing a "fence", is cross tied, but I can get around the front of him, and the sides are open and the back is open.

I would definitely put down a cement pad with mats over it becaus I want to be able to wash it all down very well, using bleach. I don't want to have to struggle with mud or muck leaching up through the ground ventually under the mats, and I want to be able to clean the area off very well; no residual manure, etc creating new dirt/decomposing under the mats. I would want to be able to make the area very very clean to properly treat wounds or infections without having the horse standing on mud or mats sunk into mud, which even with a good base would eventually start coming up and even if the base was gravel or stone dust, would not be able to be kept clean, so I would want a cement pad poured.

Also, proably would want the pad sloped in some manner.

I would pipe the water up over the wash rack, to keep the hose off the ground from being stepped on, proably along one of the 6 x 6's to an overhead swing arm (very inexpensive small pvc pipe kinda thing) for a hose. The water doesn't actually have to be piped TO the area; a hose can be connected to the piping on either end, one end short hose for a spray attachement, the other end for the hose coming from the faucet.

bludejavu
Apr. 6, 2011, 12:00 PM
Here's ours - iron stanchion posts with rings welded on front and back, installed in concrete slab - we can prevent a horse from backing out of the cross-ties by running a steel pipe thru the rings (although we never use them for our horses as they don't need them).

http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com/horse-forums/members/bludejavu-albums-farm++family-picture43780-wash-rack-004.html