PDA

View Full Version : Tips for memorizing eq tests

To the MAX
Apr. 5, 2011, 09:16 PM
Hi all!
As some of you may have read in my other thread, I'm headed to IHSA Zones for open fences this coming weekend! We were tested last weekend at Regionals but we were allowed to leave the ring and speak with our trainers and each other, which I know isn't the norm. Before Saturday, I hadn't done an eq. class that included a test in probably almost 6 years. So, I'm looking for tips on how to quickly and accurately be able to memorize a test without consulting anyone in case I need to do so. For some reason I always end up getting confused when it's called!
Thanks!

HowDoILook
Apr. 5, 2011, 10:00 PM
What helps me the best is learning the jumps by number, not description. Then when they announce the test Im not going in my head over and over trying to figure out which jump was what number and then getting confused.

I dont know if they do this with IHSA, but with some eq classes at home Ill keep a course diagram in my pocket and follow that while they announce the tests, but I feel like that might be a no no in IHSA.

Rel6
Apr. 5, 2011, 10:33 PM
You probably know this, but just a tip: do your figure eights towards the judge! In the center, when you change direction, go towards the judge! I had friends who came from regionals and they said almost everyone (including a fair amount of open riders) did it wrong and were penalized.

Soo not what you asked for, sorry, I just thought about the conversation I had with my friend yesterday :)

Good luck at zones! Are you headed to Centenary?

To the MAX
Apr. 5, 2011, 10:37 PM
Haha, were they at my regionals? Our judge asked our intermediate flat riders to do one figure eight at the trot and then one at the canter. I was appalled that every single person (including OUR rider!! :eek:) didn't do their figure eights correctly. I guess none of them ever showed in mini-stirrup? :lol:

And I'll be going to Bridgewater.

kateh
Apr. 5, 2011, 11:09 PM
Snort. Two years ago at zones a Cacchione rider blew her diagonals on her figure eight. Twice.

The only thing I can offer for memorizing tests is to visualize it as they're saying it. So instead of just drawing the path in the air, remember what that corner looked like and where you'll be looking next.

MistyPony
Apr. 5, 2011, 11:12 PM
I was always told to memorize the test as the announcer calls it and then match it to the jumps afterwards. That way if you get stuck on a jump number when they call it you don't also realize that you missed hearing what the rest of test was!

To the MAX
Apr. 5, 2011, 11:41 PM
HowDoILook - That makes so much sense...so I should be able to point to a jump and know it's number. OK!

MistyPony - That also makes a lot of sense, because I always find myself getting stuck on a certain part then by the time I figure it out I've missed other parts. Duh!

Thanks! I'll practice at my lesson tomorrow! :)