PDA

View Full Version : High Security Grain Bins!

trinityhill
Apr. 5, 2011, 08:15 PM
Well last night our 3 geldings decided to play criminals and practice their breaking and entering tactics. Our medium pony gelding, Mr. I'm too smart for my own good, shimmied the front big doors enough to undo the interior latch, than found his way through the barn and into the feed cans and polished off somewhere between 25-50lbs of feed. So after an upset tummy, a vet visit, and non-stop feet icing, the little dude is feeling just fine (still being monitored and iced but is back to his normal self.)

So now we are going to install another level of feed security. Does anyone have any plans, pictures, likes/dislikes of super smart pony proof feed bins? It would be a big help in designing our new bin.

And if anyone ever gets locked out of somewhere and needs help finding a way in, I have a medium bay pony who would love to lend his services.

Zwarte
Apr. 5, 2011, 09:43 PM
I have one of these and plan to re-purpose it as a grain "safe".

They can be found on craigslist or at Home Depot in various sizes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Greenlee-3048-Flat-Top-Steel-Job-Site-Chest-Tool-Box-/390302401985?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5adfd605c1

TheOtherHorse
Apr. 5, 2011, 09:50 PM
I keep my grain in a large chest freezer, with a hinge hasp installed on the front, locked shut with a lead rope snap.
like this:
http://www.doitbest.com/Door+latches+and+safety+hasps-National+Mfg+Co-model-N129577-doitbest-sku-210275.dib

chai
Apr. 5, 2011, 10:13 PM
I'm glad your pony is ok...that's a lot of grain! I keep my grain in the house, but on my last farm, I used top loading freezers. They kept the grain fresh and they were not easy to open. I kept them in a locked tack room. Hope you can find a way to outsmart that pony!

trinityhill
Apr. 5, 2011, 10:55 PM
Zwarte... that thing is bad a**.... don't think i need one that big, but it is an option on the table...

OtherHorse: like the freezer with the hinge lock installed idea... However with this little guy around the farm, we will at least have to go combination lock. Snaps, bolt, bull, carabiner, the loops with the metal sleeve you twist over the opening, and otherwise are a joke to him. On windy days I used to hang hay bags under the overpass for the boys, but he finds it a challenge to master any snap I have found in less than 15 seconds (25 with the twisty ones...)

Chai: I am glad too. I had just started him in January and he is just an information sponge who wants to try try try his heart out. He is already jumping around little stuff like an old pro and thinks lead changes are the bees knees. Probably one of the most honest ponies I have ever come across (other than his little criminal actions while no one is around!). I was already planning his little local show debuts to get him out and about. And I had really feared the worst when I found him this morning. But luckily he is a real tough little booger, but I think we caught and treated quickly thanks to having a really awesome vet.

I had thought locking him entirely out of the barn with interior latches was going to be enough, but after this I think we will be best off to secure any hazardous to pony materials, in almost indestructible containers with locks... Looking into all options to find the best fit if there are any other ideas. At max we keep 4 bags of one type of grain and 2 bags of another on hand, so not huge amounts, but still way more than super genius pony will ever gain access to again! Thanks everyone!

ChocoMare
Apr. 6, 2011, 07:26 AM
Ditto the dead chest freezer. You can usually find a few listed on Craig's List or your local www.freecycle.org (http://www.freecycle.org) group -or- place a Wanted ad in either.

We use freezers AND keep our tack/grain room gated & securely closed at all times, since we have an open-air barn.

Alagirl
Apr. 6, 2011, 09:11 AM
somewhere there I heard the theme for Mission Impossible there as the caper went down....

Try one of these on the feed room:
Feed room door (http://www.empiresafe.com/uploads/0000/1185/2_round_vault_door_w_back_color_adj.jpg)

Actually, you might be able to get an older truck tool box, they ought to work...

trinityhill
Apr. 6, 2011, 11:04 AM
hahahaha oh I needed that good laugh Alagirl.... that made my day!

Maybe we should give up on the "Gifted" as his show name and go with "Bond, James Bond" or "Ethan Hunt".

He was kept out of the barn last night. The paddock he was in only had a fire-rated storm door with a knob lock and a dead-bolt on it to keep him out but it did the trick.

AnotherRound
Apr. 6, 2011, 11:19 AM
I second the chest freezers. Mice proof, critter proof, and horse proof. Also keeps the grain really fresh. Also can be cleaned and bleached every now and again, which is really really good.

I haven't gotten one (needed to, I board) in years, but I keep thinking if I was going to do that I would bet I could find old chest freezers on craigs list, or even at the town landfill - not 'dumped' - people bring them and they are collected on certain days of the year and shipped out for whatever way they are disposed of. I could I suppose ask the guys to hold onto one for me, or something. I would think you could find chest freezers which aren't working any more somewhere. Maybe even from a store or something. But that's the way I would go.

katarine
Apr. 6, 2011, 11:38 AM
We have a dead chest freezer - I don't have a lock on it but it's behind a closed door and that's behind four strands of coated high tensile backed up with a very hot electric strand. You can find them on Craiglist.

bludejavu
Apr. 6, 2011, 11:45 AM
We've been using a dead chest freezer for 15 years now and not one of our horses has ever gotten into it. We don't have many escapees but it's always the ones that really WANT that grain that tend to escape and go exploring. One mare, who is addicted to grain like a crack addict, was so determined that she literally destroyed everything in her path to get to the grain. She couldn't lift the lid on the freezer although she did manage to slide the feed room door open and stick her head and front feet in. So she turned her butt around and pooped right on the freezer she was so mad about it!:lol:

HPFarmette
Apr. 6, 2011, 11:46 AM
for the laugh:lol:

Alagirl
Apr. 6, 2011, 12:07 PM
Just make sure you have the coolants removed from those old freezers.

ChocoMare
Apr. 6, 2011, 02:16 PM
Just make sure you have the coolants removed from those old freezers.

Exactly and ditto!

Also, if you have a barn with wee ones trotting around, I would recommend a hasp closure of some sort. Would HATE the thought of an unattended/unsupervised child opening the lid to a freezer, peeking over the edge and the lid closing down on them. Granted, most lids have a 'stay' mechanism, but in the older/dead ones, that is often broken.