PDA

View Full Version : Critique please!

RBJumper
Apr. 5, 2011, 08:41 PM
So second ride back after having a couple months off! We're definitely lacking impulsion and I need to sit up!!! Critique away! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAXPJ9k7ccM&feature=channel_video_title

bluebuckets
Apr. 5, 2011, 09:51 PM
Very very lovely horse!

It looks as though he is trying to pull down when you ride. Your straight arms definately don't help either! Keep a bend in your elbows, shorten your reins, and pick your hands up a little. Then, send him forward. He is jogging, he looks like a big boy who should have a nice big step. Push him forward. I see you tap-tap-tapping with your spurs, but they are little tiny baby taps. Give him a big tap, get the forward trot you want, and then leave him alone, with occasional tap-TAPS at places where he likes to loose a bit of impulsion (around corners, through circles, etc.)

Another thing that will help you bring your horse's balance off the forehand is to sit up a bit, and roll your shoulders back. Yes, in hunters you do have a more closed hip angle, but you definately shouldn't feel/look like you're leaning. Especially with a horse who wants to travel a bit more downhill.

The last thing I noticed was that he seemed a bit stiff through his hocks. Could just be the cold weather, but you might want to take a peek at that and just be sure it won't give you problems later this spring when you get into some heavier work.

Wow, I love your leg however! That's great! I'm sure you and your horse will be back in buisness in no time!

alterhorse
Apr. 5, 2011, 09:58 PM
Very nice!

IMO.

Time to let some of that suppleness develop from your upper body and shoulders down through your elbows and into your hands.

Riding with your hands wide to achieve suppleness works somewhat, but not completely, because you are bracing your upper back for stillness, and using your arms and elbows outwardly to achieve contact. This gives you what some call having little bird wings (although it's not that bad a case).

This upper body bracing for stillness makes it harder for you to use your seat and legs to effectively to drive your horse forwards (hence the lack of impulsion).

The thing to remember is that stiffening any one part of your body tends to impede the flexibility of the rest of your body, and this in turn this may also limit the motion and suppleness of the horse.

I'd say work on dressage concepts/flat lessons doing patterns and transitions, work on your contact, and learn to develop that contact from impulsion, keep your horse on the aids, listening, and forwards.

I think you ride well. :)

tidy rabbit
Apr. 6, 2011, 12:28 PM
You might think about closing the backs of your arms against your armpits and allowing your elbows to rest towards your hips.

Very interesting indoor. Do you have other pictures of it?

RBJumper
Apr. 6, 2011, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the critique! I agree we need to GO somewhere and get him off the forehand. As for the hock thing, he's got uneven hips which we're working on fixing.

Edit: And for the indoor thing, I don't have any other photos. What kind of photos are you thinking? Oh! And does my saddle look too small? It feels like it's getting on the small side :s