PDA

View Full Version : jump falls, who's fault is it?

Pixie0304
Apr. 5, 2011, 05:13 PM
I heard years back from several people that when you jump, if the jump falls from the horse touching it with his front legs, it is the rider's "fault", and if it falls from touching the back legs, it is the horse's " fault" .

is there any truth to that?

when I say fault, I dont mean it is a big deal or anything. and actually instead of fault I should say mistake.

I was just wondering if it would have anything to do with the rider's position if it were to fall from touching the front leg.

or is it just a matter of luck?

I dont know if we should take into account the level of jumping the horse and rider have, and if the rider " misleading" the horse to a jump would have anything to do with it?

MHM
Apr. 5, 2011, 05:20 PM
I would say there is no truth to that theory since there are too many variables involved.

If the rider gets the horse to the perfect distance out of the perfect canter, the horse can still be a hair lazy and knock it down in front. Or the rider can get left, slam down on the horse's back on top of the jump, and cause the horse to knock it down behind.

kateh
Apr. 5, 2011, 05:20 PM
IMHO, you can't generalize whose fault it was. You'd have to look at every rail on a case by case basis. You can have a great rider and a lazy horse who just doesn't care if it rubs a rail. You can have a poor rider on a very careful horse who'd rather be eaten by bears than rub a rail. Front leg rails could be a matter of the distance the rider gets the horse to. Back leg rails could be the rider sitting back in the saddle too early, which throws their weight back.

Madaketmomma
Apr. 5, 2011, 05:28 PM
I heard the exact opposite. The reason being that if the horse hits with his back legs the rider sat too soon over the jump. The theory is probably just made up.

Pixie0304
Apr. 5, 2011, 05:53 PM
yeah, i guess it is made up then, especially if you heard the opposite :eek:

And yeah, i would think there would be lots of variable to take into account, and probably the results would not follow any pattern :no:

findeight
Apr. 5, 2011, 07:18 PM
Oh, it's not made up at all BUT it is not a simple cause and effect situation worthy of such a sweeping generalization.

A rider that gets too deep to the base and puts the horse under the fence will have a front leg rail on the way up and a rider that opens up and sits too early will bring a rail down with the back legs. But those are both rider error.

Then there is the less then enthusiastic horse that does not care to try and they can get them down with both ends. Those are both a horse's fault.

Then there are various combinations of the two with shared blame and sometimes the dam rails just fall and it's nobody's fault.

Madaketmomma
Apr. 5, 2011, 07:21 PM
I always yell "your fault" at my trainer if my horse knocks a rail with his back leg. I don't think he appreciates it. After this thread, I guess I should stop. Lol

xxreddxheaddxx
Apr. 5, 2011, 07:35 PM
hind legs = riders fault. front can be either, depends on the situation

findeight
Apr. 5, 2011, 07:47 PM
hind legs = riders fault. front can be either, depends on the situation

Not really or they would be specifically penalized in the Eq. Back leg rails are at the disgression of the judge and sometimes the judge(s) say(s) lazy horse. Much to the relief of some riders with back leg rails in Medal Regional Qualifier rounds and even a few who went on to WIN the Finals with a back leg rail.

Front leg rails, usually a bad distance and that is square on the rider.

You just cannot say X=Y about why rails drop front or back.