View Full Version : Yellow jacket traps that WORK?

Apr. 5, 2011, 06:13 PM
Last year I spent a lot of money on many yellow jacket traps -- and I think I only caught two yellow jackets all season!

They are in the wall of the barn next to a walkway, and last summer I sprayed an entire can of yellow jacket/wasp killer into the cracks of the barn, but didn't get rid of them. This year they are making a resurgence....

Yes, we can and will be taking the siding off the barn to get to them at some point, but it's not a small project.

In the meantime, can anyone suggest a tried and true method to capturing them in quantity? Something to buy, something homemade -- whatever! I'm just desperate!!

Apr. 5, 2011, 08:18 PM
Make that 2 of us ... as well as taking up residence in nooks and crannies everywhere, since we are on a sandy soil, the little buggers make ground nests and thousands of them take up residence there as well and you sure know it if you walk by or happen to cut the grass near where they are living!

I bought so many of those stupid wasp traps - I dont even think I caught one in there ... :no:

Apr. 6, 2011, 09:36 AM
Sprinkle "seven" dust at every entrance. Stand and watch where they come in and out and put some dust on those areas. The bees going in will drag the dust into the nest and kill the nest. Takes a few days but really works.

Apr. 6, 2011, 09:49 AM
Call an exterminator and have them diagnose and treat your barn. :)

Yellow jacket traps don't do a whole lot more than attract more yellow jackets, IME.

If you're positive of the species and know about where they're nesting or coming from, that will help an expert do some targeted eradication, but a good pest control company makes it their business to know what to do.

We have the house and barn treated once a month during the "bug" months, and we have almost no insects other than the stable flies that are MY job to eradicate. :lol: Deer flies and horse flies, too, but they are more or less kept under control with sprays before riding and bomber traps.