PDA

View Full Version : Temporary paddock -- ideas please!

mg
Apr. 5, 2011, 04:03 PM
I have been cleared by the vet to set up a small paddock for my pony who is recovering from a suspensory injury. He is not very happy about being on stall rest, so hopefully this will cheer him up a little!

His stall opens up via dutch doors into a communal run-out area which runs along the length of the barn. Ideally, I would like to just partition off part of this area so it can be a run-out paddock from his stall. Here's a picture of the area I'm working with:

fenced area on the right side of the barn: http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/2617/img1340ta7.jpg
there are six stalls, he's in the third one in (the furthest left door you can fully see in this picture): http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/7205/img3070or3.jpg

I think the length of the area from the wall of the barn to the fence is okay, but I need something to section off both sides. I'm also looking for something that won't break the bank to purchase/install. The vet bills are hurting enough ;)

TIA!

Lady Counselor
Apr. 5, 2011, 04:46 PM
If you can afford it, the round pen panels work the best. They hook together, are safe and sturdy when keeping his neighbors away, and you can reuse them for other projects once this is over. You can also pretty much have a gate anyplace .Tractor Supply seems to have the most inexpensive ones, but Craigslist can sometimes offer up some reasonably too.

Kate66
Apr. 5, 2011, 10:37 PM
How would he do with hot wire? You could buy some step-in posts (around $2/each) and some Horse Guard 2" tape and string it through with a charger. Can't imagine that the whole lot would cost you > $100-$150? - if that.

Could you move him to the end stall nearest the front of the barn while he is being confined? That way you would only need to put one side of a fence up and the other horses would still have uninterrupted access to the communal outdoors.

back in the saddle
Apr. 5, 2011, 10:42 PM
Another vote for Horse Guard! They have a first time user kit that will get you started.

chai
Apr. 5, 2011, 11:16 PM
mg, what a lovely barn. I have used both round pen panels and hot tape with step in posts to make mini-paddocks and they both work well.

horsepoor
Apr. 6, 2011, 12:03 AM
I'd move him to an end stall if you can, then you just have to fence off that little section. Round pen panels or hot tape would be pretty easy; the latter the least expensive. Around here, you can find round pen panels on craigslist for fairly reasonable and since you only need a couple to do that area, that might be a good way to go. At my house, I have electric fence already set up for my cross fencing, so adding a bit of tape on temp posts to make small rehab/rest paddocks is really easy. Beware, however, if they are too short, you don't want them jumping out (I have one that does that so I had to buy extra tall temp posts for him).

mg
Apr. 6, 2011, 10:08 AM
If I do the hot tape, do I need to create a complete circuit? Since I'd only be doing three sides on hot-tape, would I have to do tape on both sides of the posts to create the full circuit?

Moving him to an end stall "could" be an option, but it would require cleaning out a bunch of junk, transferring mats, bucket hardware etc. He also would no longer share an adjoining barred wall with another horse, so I think he might get lonelier if I did that :(

Looked on Craigslist for pipe corral panels. No dice. Bummer!

horsepoor
Apr. 6, 2011, 01:11 PM
When I mentioned moving to end, I meant so you didn't have to fence the paddock on both sides, just the one, to make it easier, that's all. And you don't have to "close" the circuit. In fact, you don't want to (if I'm understanding you correctly and you mean have the hot fence run out from the charger and run around and come back to the charger --that's not what you want to do). You can have just one line (if that's all you need) running out from the charger, or it can split. A lot easier to do if you are already set up with electric fence on your place.

mg
Apr. 6, 2011, 01:22 PM
Could I nail the ends of the tape to the outside barn wall? Or should I install a post really close to the barn wall and find a way to secure the post to the wall?

Sorry for the 20-questions!! I've never had an electric fence set up at home since the horses don't bother toying with our board fencing.

horsepoor
Apr. 6, 2011, 01:53 PM
Could I nail the ends of the tape to the outside barn wall? Or should I install a post really close to the barn wall and find a way to secure the post to the wall?

Sorry for the 20-questions!! I've never had an electric fence set up at home since the horses don't bother toying with our board fencing.

You can't nail the actual tape (would short out), but could attach an insulator to the barn wall and have the tape hooked to that. That is how mine is set up that separates my paddocks outside my stalls.

StGermain
Apr. 6, 2011, 01:54 PM
mg - If you nail the tape to your barn, you'll ground it out. You need to connect it with insulators. Something like this (http://www.tractorsupply.com/electric-fencing/electric-fence-insulators/wood-post-polytape-corner-insulator-3608556) should work.

If it were up to me, I'd move him to the last open stall (not your storage area) and run a triple wire between him and his neighbors, He can still be next to horses, and you'd just have to run one line of posts. Step-ins would be best, since this isn't permanent and getting well-pounded T-posts out after you've put them in can be a pain.

_________
|.............|
|. . . . . . .|
|.............|
|.............|
|.............|
|________|

CatOnLap
Apr. 6, 2011, 03:35 PM
bite the bullet and buy 4 pipe corral panels. You will find no end of uses for them once the pony is well again.4 panels make a nice temporary stall, will subdivide a paddock, can be tossed in the back of a pickup for use at shows or overnight campng trips, etc. Brand new they are only about $75-125 a piece. Mine are 15 years old now and have been in use every single day since we got them, in dozens of different configurations. And if I wanted to sell them I'd probably still get $50 each for them, even 15 years old, and a little ugly.

The electric fences are cheap, but grounding can be a PITA. Plus I do not trust ponies to not test the fence on a daily basis and the one time you forget to turn the fence on...pony gets out and re-injures homself.

LauraKY
Apr. 7, 2011, 09:22 AM
By the time you buy a charger, the step in posts and the tape and the ground rod(s) and extra insulators, you could have probably bought several round pen panels. A round pen was our best investment ever. It can be a temporary fence repair, just chain to the posts, a temporary paddock, temporary gate, the list goes on and on. Look on craigslist...sometimes you'll get lucky.

You don't need a continuous loop of electric tape, whatever touches it completes the circuit by touching the tape and the ground simultaneously. Which is why a bird can sit on an electric wire with no problem...it's not touching the ground.

And, you do need to pound in at least one grounding rod to really have your fence work properly.