PDA

View Full Version : advice on getting fit again for riding after taking a hiatus

evntr5218
Apr. 5, 2011, 01:46 PM
what suggestions do you guys have?
i used to ride all the time and havnt in atleadt 6 years. im going to be starting back this summer but wanted to get a jumpstart on it so i am somehat ready...even tho no matter what im sure that i will be sore as all get out after the first time.

AliCat518
Apr. 5, 2011, 01:50 PM
I recently did a few personal training sessions at my gym. We focused on core strength as well as leg strength a lot. We also did cardio (blahhh.) I did one a week sessions and he suggested I work out at least 4 days a week to supplement. (30 min of cardio plus something like the TRX system or kettle bells).

It definitely helped my riding! Good luck :)

JER
Apr. 5, 2011, 02:12 PM
IME, nothing gets you 'fit' for riding like riding. 'Riding fit' is not like other forms of fitness.

Core strength is good, it helps to be in decent condition but when you start riding again, you are going to be sore. Sorry. :)

With that in mind, maybe start off with shorter but more frequent riding sessions -- like 2 half-hour lessons/week rather than 1 1-hr lesson. Put time into your fundamentals and take frequent breaks. On those breaks, take your feet out of the irons and shake out your legs.

For a 'headstart,' maybe do some simple core exercises and develop a decent aerobic base. Also consider active dynamic stretching (NOT static stretching, please), especially in the legs/back.

But you'll still be sore, so stock up on Advil. :)

paintmare
Apr. 5, 2011, 02:18 PM
IME, nothing gets you 'fit' for riding like riding. 'Riding fit' is not like other forms of fitness.

Gonna have to agree, being a person who takes every winter off from riding atleast December to March. I work out at the gym usually during those months and still manage to gain weight and be totally unfit for riding even if I do 45 mins of cardio and strength training.

When I'm ready to ride, I do tons of trotting work with lots of breaks so that both my horse and me can catch our breathe, and then back to work. I lost almost 30lbs last year from riding alone.

ltmac
Apr. 6, 2011, 02:02 PM
P90X! Also, swimming; reduces the percussion on your joints. I think you need more cardio and core strength, as well as balance, for riding more than muscling.

JER
Apr. 6, 2011, 02:13 PM
P90X! Also, swimming; reduces the percussion on your joints.

Swimming is a great form of exercise but it goes nowhere toward getting riding fit.

I swim 4-5x/week, for an hour per session. If I take a break from riding (recently I didn't ride for two whole weeks), I'm still sore when I start again.

RAyers
Apr. 6, 2011, 02:53 PM
I prefer the Blutto Blutarski method:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYqnoULgD30

Reed

evntr5218
Apr. 6, 2011, 02:55 PM
I prefer the Blutto Blutarski method:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYqnoULgD30

Reed

that is the best advice by far!!! :lol:

wolfmare
Apr. 6, 2011, 02:58 PM
If you drink Coors, does it help with core strength?