PDA

View Full Version : Stables in Alpharetta,GA?

LittleMissCan'tBeWrong
Apr. 5, 2011, 01:25 PM
Hey everyone!
In May I will be moving with my family to Alpharetta,GA. Unfortunately, my family isn't willing to bring my beloved mare along, and she will be leaving with a friend of mine in a couple weeks :( So I will be looking for a nice hunter or jumper barn to ride at and hopefully lease something. I started out on my first pony doing hunter shows, but have been an eventer for years now. However, there aren't as many leasing opportunities in the eventing world as in the h/j world. I realize this will be a huge change but i'm thinking it will be fun to do something different. So i'm really just looking to hear about the ins and outs of the area and the trainers in the area. Also, are there any specifically Georgia horse sites like virginiaequestian.com for VA to look at horses for sale/lease in the area, working student positions (which i'm interested in) etc. etc. Also, this may be a silly question but what are the differences between hunter and jumper derbys? I'm really interested in it...granted I just need to get back into riding something before I think of showing in anything (my mare had surgery and had a trainer working with her before that so I haven't ridden in about a year) but if i'm going to get into this i'd really like to go through with it and work on it and not just play around at local shows forever, assuming I can find something nice to lease and assuming I actually do well at this and enjoy it lol... Oh final question haha do many people here show in both hunters and jumpers? Or do most people pick one or the other? What about EQ shows/classes i'm assuming that's completely different from both? Sorry for all the questions!! I've just been eventing for so long i'm slightly lost in this transition. But all advice and suggestions are welcome!!! I can use all the help i can get since I don't know the Alpharetta area well, and don't know a ton about the discipline either! Thanks!!

mroades
Apr. 5, 2011, 03:05 PM
www.ghja.com (http://www.ghja.com) has a trainers directory

By George!
Apr. 5, 2011, 06:28 PM
Patchwork Farm - Janet Salem (she posts here, too)

xxreddxheaddxx
Apr. 5, 2011, 07:45 PM
wow! be super gald you are moving here! alpharetta is like the horse capital of GA. farms EVERYWHERE!!! Most people around her do h/j stuff but there are still lots of dressage and other disciplines too! Definitely check out www.ghja.org and if you don't see a website, google the trainer b/c they aren't always listed! Not exactly sure what you were asking but hope this helps: hunters are based on the horse, how well they jump, move look, etc. jumpers are based on time, and you get faults based on refusals, rails, and f you go over the time allowed. equitation is based on the riders position and ability to ride the course well. Lots of kids in Alpharetta do all three divisions on multiple mounts. And there are lots of people who have one horse and show it in one division. Around here there is a good local circuit of horseshows(ghja rated) if you aren't interested in doing the A shows (usef rated). One thing to look for in your trainer is if they go to the shows you are interested in. Welcome to Alpharetta and if you have any questions PM me! :)

keepcalmandcarryon
Apr. 6, 2011, 06:12 PM
You will have absolutely zero problems finding a great trainer in Alpharetta. I used to ride with Sunny Stevens a few years back (http://www.stevehavenstables.com) and she is by far the best trainer I've ever had. She doesn't have many (if any) schoolies, so you'll probably need to be leasing something before you start riding with her, but don't quote me on that. I'm pretty sure she is at Staples Farm now (in Alpharetta). She's wonderful!

xxreddxheaddxx
Apr. 9, 2011, 06:48 PM
You will have absolutely zero problems finding a great trainer in Alpharetta. I used to ride with Sunny Stevens a few years back (http://www.stevehavenstables.com) and she is by far the best trainer I've ever had. She doesn't have many (if any) schoolies, so you'll probably need to be leasing something before you start riding with her, but don't quote me on that. I'm pretty sure she is at Staples Farm now (in Alpharetta). She's wonderful!

agreed. i ride with sunny now and love her.

LittleMissCan'tBeWrong
Apr. 9, 2011, 08:42 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions! I've been doing some digging around and generally hear the same names suggested as good trainers. The biggest issue is probably going to be finding a nice horse to lease : / It'd be so much more convenient to be able to lease at whatever barn I end up at. However, I haven't seen many leases unless you're at a true schooling barn which i'm not too interested in. I so so so wish I could bring my mare who ironically enough decided she doesn't want to event any more (doesn't like dressage) and would be much happier as a hunter or jumper.

xxreddxheaddxx
Apr. 10, 2011, 08:26 AM
my suggestion is this:find a trainer youre interested in first, and give them a call before you lease a horse. they will know some leases out there and want to see how you ride first. even trainers that don't have school horses will most likely have something you can get on. there are lots of horses in alpharetta, so no worries :)