PDA

View Full Version : Replacing wood floor in trailer?

MightyBobbyMagee
Apr. 5, 2011, 01:18 PM
First time trailer buyer, and I've done alot of research on the questions to ask and what to look for, but I still have a couple of questions on pricing. I'm interested in a 1990 2 horse Shoop trailer that needs the floor replaced. I'm on a tiny budget, and I'm assuming wood flooring would be the cheapest. Can anyone give me a price range for what replacing the floor with wood would be? (Assuming that's all that needs done, not frame repair or anything.) Thanks!

GoForAGallop
Apr. 5, 2011, 04:06 PM
Materials will probably run you around $2-300, depending on your area. The labor is what's going to hurt if you are unable to do it yourself/have a handy friend. That being said, total bill even with labor would probably be around $500, at least in my area.

So that could be a good bargaining tool for lowering the price of the trailer...and possibly getting a really decent setup for purchase price + a little extra.

But make sure that steel underneath is okay. Usually when the floor gets to the point where the whole thing needs to be replaced (vs just a board or two where the pee seeps through the mats/there was a leaky window/etc), then you can be pretty sure that the metal underneath has been affected too.

Bacchus
Apr. 6, 2011, 10:00 AM
For one floor board, we installed it ourselves. We couldn't get a full board in because we couldn't get under the metal lips at the front and back that hold the boards down. I'm not even sure how the pros get boards in there;)

We cut the board where it would sit on the main support of the trailer, put the board (now two pieces) in, then used a metal plate and bolts to hold it together. With the rubber mats, you can't tell at all. It's been that way for years.

Don't know if you'd want to do the entire floor this way, but I think it would be as solid as regular boards -- as long as the rest of the trailer is solid.

I know my leg is supposed to be stronger with the metal plates holding the bones together than it was without. LOL. At least that's what the doctors tell me.

MeghanDACVA
Apr. 6, 2011, 03:54 PM
To get the boards under the lip you need a cutting torch and a welder.
THAT is the hard and labor intensive part of replacing trailer floors. (Having helped hubby do several)

Be sure you use good solid wood. Oak is best. Pressure treated is second best.

Ditto check the steel under the trailer floor.

Check with trailer repair places in your area to get quotes so you can work with the seller on price.

hosspuller
Apr. 7, 2011, 01:10 AM
Best way to get suitable wood (rough sawn oak) is to call a pallet builder. They use lots of oak for pallets. Be aware that the wood is likely green and will shrink. I butted all the planks together for a trailer floor. After a year, there were nice drain spaces.