PDA

View Full Version : Can't believe I'm asking this, but....

danceronice
Apr. 5, 2011, 12:57 PM
So it's spring, Coggins-test season, and the BO asked if I were planning to take Lucky to anything. O.o

And then I got to thinking that maybe I will. I'm thinking find a little local/schooling/fun show with realtively cheap classes and at least take himself and school, even if behaviorally/mentally he isn't ready to get in the ring once he's there. Just so he has the experience of traveling and realizing he's not going to race when he gets there, no matter how many other horses and PA systems and people there are. (Number umpteen-hundred on the List Of Things I Wish I'd Known With Old OTTB.)

So. I have breeches and boots that should still work (I'm still trying to figure out how those breeches fit as I don't think they were vanity sizing way back whenver I got these, but I'm not arguing.) I have a new brown coat (no contrasting pinstriping.) I THOUGHT I had shirts. However, while I still technically have ratcatchers, the collars have long since gone wherever lost socks and tupperware lids go (interdimensional space? Stolen by gnomes? Narnia?) So I need a new shirt.

What color goes with a dark brown coat? Beyond white, obviously, white goes with everything. The horse is blood bay, the tack's all dark brown. (Boots are black, but I'm not coughing up for a new pair of those until they fall apart.) We're not talking huge rated shows here, just tooling around at least this year, so I might as well have some colorful fun while I'm at it. We'll look spiffy even if his brain breaks and we end up just walking around on the chain while he boggles at everything.

teddygirl
Apr. 5, 2011, 01:07 PM
Actually, white shirts are the thing this year, especially with the new snap collars. If you do a color it should be softer, not bright. With dark brown, you can wear a pale yellow, pink, or blue. Solids are in, or a very subtle pattern, but nothing bold. And, again, don't rule out white, it's a very clean look.

And good for you for getting out and about, and looking good doing it!

danceronice
Apr. 5, 2011, 01:09 PM
Eh, I don't do trends (in fact if told something is in I'm likely to go ou of my way to do the opposite), so I'm mostly worried about what doesn't clash! I have no sense of colors.

I wonder if he'd find his masculinity threatened by pink.

BAC
Apr. 5, 2011, 01:09 PM
I like pale blue shirts with just about any color hunt coat and will also be attractive on your bay horse. Some people will suggest yellow or peach with brown, but I hate that combination.

danceronice
Apr. 5, 2011, 01:16 PM
I'm quite tempted by blue. I was hoping that wasn't just having seen a million 'trendy' bridesmaids dresses in chocolate and blue!

Lucassb
Apr. 5, 2011, 01:30 PM
My brown coat is one of my favorites. And believe it or not, my favorite shirt combo with that coat is actually a light purple. Sounds like it would be quite loud but in reality, it reads more like a light blue. Pics attached.

teddygirl
Apr. 5, 2011, 01:30 PM
Blue is great! And no, you don't have to follow the trends. Some people are just afraid that white looks like you don't know what you're doing, but it's fine. I've seen very few geldings actually rebel against pink, but you never know. You really only have to please yourself and look neat and presentable.

I agree, BAC, not a fan of peach or yellow with brown, but lots of people like it

Mukluk
Apr. 5, 2011, 01:43 PM
My brown coat is one of my favorites. And believe it or not, my favorite shirt combo with that coat is actually a light purple. Sounds like it would be quite loud but in reality, it reads more like a light blue. Pics attached.

Love it!!! You look FABULOUS... as does your horse. So much nicer than boring old black or navy.

meupatdoes
Apr. 5, 2011, 01:49 PM

Right there with ya on the brown/lt purple combo.

It's gawgeous. (And I am horrible enough to ride around on a bright chestnut like that.)

Lucassb
Apr. 5, 2011, 02:01 PM
Love it!!! You look FABULOUS... as does your horse. So much nicer than boring old black or navy.

Right there with ya on the brown/lt purple combo.

It's gawgeous. (And I am horrible enough to ride around on a bright chestnut like that.)

Awwww, thanks. It really is pretty much my favorite combo - especially for summer shows, when my horsie fades to that seal brown color (from his normal black.) I do feel like it is a nice break from the sea of navy and grey coats, while still looking relatively conservative.

kelsey97
Apr. 5, 2011, 04:30 PM
I love my brown coat! I have a dark bay like Lucassb and a blood bay both with zero white markings. I wear every color with my beloved brown jacket, even (GASP) aqua and mint green! LOL! My favorite shirt is a dark french blue, not "in" right now, but I really don't care ;) Wear the color that looks best on you and have a great time!

Sing Mia Song
Apr. 5, 2011, 07:00 PM
I sold my brown coat, but it looked awesome with pale blue, pink or lavender. I also shudder at the thought of brown with yellow or peach.

Trixie
Apr. 5, 2011, 07:15 PM
The blue and purple are very pretty, also perhaps a nice cream.

findeight
Apr. 5, 2011, 07:27 PM
Yellow looks really sharp, IMO, with a brown coat, so do most of the pastels. Some shades of orange can look really good as well, you need to try them on with the coat and go out in the sun to see how they really look. Matter of personal taste.

Most of these colors are available in the Cool Max and other lighter weight, modern fabric blends. If your breeches are old timey "real size", you'll be surprised at all the neat things you can get in shirts since you last went shopping for a show outfit.

Sounds like fun.

NeedsAdvil
Apr. 5, 2011, 07:34 PM
I have two shirts that go with my brown jacket, and both are plaids. One is a white, dark blue, and brown plaid, and the other is a very pale white, light blue, light yellow plaid. Both look fantastic with brown OR navy jackets, which is what I have and it's important for everything to be interchangeable. :lol:

danceronice
Apr. 5, 2011, 08:57 PM
I'm liking the idea of blue! And since I'm shopping anyway (my gloves are long past shot, for a start) anyone have the Cotton Naturals Shapely fit breeches? I have something like a nine-inch difference between my waist and hips and Dover's description sounds like they'd be perfect (I nearly wept for joy when catalogs like LL Bean started introducing "curvy" fits, where someone finally noticed that wide hips doesn't automatically mean a wider waist!) I'm looking at the ones with knee patches--do they actually fit like they claim? And are the website colors comparable to what they look like in reality?

I'd really secretly like rust again (Mom seems to have given those away) but even I'm not color-blind enough to think that would go with dark brown and blue! (When I find myself a generous sugar daddy ;) I'll get a tweet coat and rust with brown field boots!)

RugBug
Apr. 5, 2011, 09:46 PM
I'd really secretly like rust again (Mom seems to have given those away) but even I'm not color-blind enough to think that would go with dark brown and blue!

Well, I can't say I was color blind (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g14/slorugbug/Bygones/Frito1.jpg) but rather a kid who had to buy all her own horse stuff..and the shirt is yellow not blue, but brown and rust can look quite nice together, depending on the colors of each. I will say that I HATED that coat and shirt. They weren't "in" at the time and I took a lot of flak for them. The coat is lovely now, though. :) So, brown and rust is a :yes: in my book. Maybe not with the blue, though.

Trixie
Apr. 6, 2011, 09:26 AM
I've done the rust and blue. (http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL936/3762429/21915079/365907659.jpg)

pattnic
Apr. 6, 2011, 09:41 AM
#1 - Gnomes. Definitely gnomes.
#2 - Cotton Naturals Shapely Fit breeches have about a 15" difference between waist and hip measurements, as opposed to the brand's standard 10".
#3 - I'm not color blind, but see my "level" above...

pattnic
Apr. 6, 2011, 09:44 AM
PS - that would be rust and *green* (yellow underneath)! :D

Lucassb
Apr. 6, 2011, 10:25 AM
I've done the rust and blue. (http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL936/3762429/21915079/365907659.jpg)

Yep, I've done rust and blue, too. With, gasp, a light blue shirt. Oh, those were the days...!

danceronice
Apr. 6, 2011, 10:51 AM
When I started, it was navy blue and rust for all...I eventually went to tan and hunter green instead! I wish my green coat still fit but that was fifteen+ years ago... :( I had a...I want to say it was a green shirt with pinstriping, and a pale violet shirt I wore with it (I swear, it worked!) Sadly, those are the two whose collars have been abducted by the sock gnomes as they'd probably do pretty well underneath the brown coat. I still have my oldest "white" shirt and collar, but it ran afoul of a very rainy show day and is now white with lovely navy blue patches where the dye bled. Stylin'.

RugBug
Apr. 6, 2011, 12:17 PM
Yep, I've done rust and blue, too. With, gasp, a light blue shirt. Oh, those were the days...!

Yep, yep, yep (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g14/slorugbug/horse%20stuff/Showtrot.jpg). And that wasn't so long ago. 2005 to be exact. I do love me some rust.

danceronice
Apr. 6, 2011, 01:14 PM
*sigh* When I had them, I didn't want them, now if only I could find them I'd wear them with the black coat...

(The little imp in me who's seen "The Horse In the Gray Flannel Suit" too many times wants tweed and canary, but it'll be a long time before I find canary breeches anywhere that also happen to be my size!)

BAC
Apr. 6, 2011, 01:45 PM
[quote=danceronice;5531939(The little imp in me who's seen "The Horse In the Gray Flannel Suit" too many times wants tweed and canary, but it'll be a long time before I find canary breeches anywhere that also happen to be my size!)[/quote]

Horse Country in Warrenton, VA has canary breeches.

I love rust breeches/navy coat/light blue shirt/ it was my favorite combinations back in the 60s. :D

Unprovoked92
Apr. 6, 2011, 01:51 PM
Tackoftheday as some lovely pastel shirts on sale today. Not sure what color size combos are left...but only $11!

http://www.tackoftheday.com/extra/default.aspx

mypaintwattie
Apr. 6, 2011, 02:47 PM
I did rust with a navy coat and light blue shirt this weekend. Looked just fabulous! Also did the same with a light pink shirt one day, stunning. I just love the rust, trying to bring it back one show at a time!:lol: