PDA

View Full Version : Kerrits 24k Jacket for show?

SprinklerBandit
Apr. 5, 2011, 12:14 PM
I'll just start by saying that I love love love Kerrits. The tights fit me like a tailor made them. I was super excited to see their 24k jacket. I'm trying to get back to showing (local, schooling, unrated). Is this coat show ring appropriate?

http://www.kerrits.com/Equestrian-Apparel/pc/24K-Riding-Jacket-22p2479.htm

Love the price, love the fit... Is there a reason not to use it?

deltawave
Apr. 5, 2011, 12:42 PM
I have a black one and a blue one, and have shown in unrecognized dressage (pouring rain) in the black one. I would have no qualms about wearing one to compete if the weather was bad and I wanted to spare my good jackets. That'snot to say the Kerrits ones are "bad" in any way. I like them very much. I just also own two very nice normal ones, and they get chosen first. :)

Zoomd
Apr. 5, 2011, 12:49 PM
Call me too traditional, but I wouldn't step into a show ring in a zip-up jacket... Why not find a suitable stretchy show coat for a similar price, that might have a similar fit and feel? Dover has a decent selection of lower priced jackets like this one:
http://www.doversaddlery.com/devon-aire-ladies-nouvelle-stretch-show-coat/p/X1-40216/cn/34/

which might fit your needs just as well with a more classic show look.
Just my opinion though. Would lovvee that jacket for daily schooling though! Nice polished look to it.

4Martini
Apr. 5, 2011, 01:40 PM
I have an Arista Modern Competitor Jacket which is similar, but I think a little more dressy that I have used at a recognized event and I even had the organizer mention my nice turnout before going in the ring. So, I don't think I offended anyone. It does have buttons on the cuffs and a flap over the zipper.

http://www.equinenow.com/store-item-44

Sonoma City
Apr. 5, 2011, 02:19 PM
I have the Kerrit's 24K jacket. It fit me a little weird (flared out too much on the sides) so I had to break out the sewing machine to tailor it a little through the hips, but it was a very minor fix! I wear it at schooling shows with a light green scarf and tan or grey breeches. It looks very nice actually. I hate breaking out my white breeches for a schooling show, and I equally hate the look of tan breeches with a black jacket and white stock, so I think the combo of this jacket for a more casual but neat look is perfect.

Pikeur is starting to make a few coats in zip up models. I've seen them mostly in the jumper circuit thus far, but the look may become more mainstream in the near future. http://www.calevo.com/cgi-bin/calevo/process/locale/en_US/page/2060212.html

Mukluk
Apr. 5, 2011, 02:36 PM
I wish they offered these types of jackets in colors other than black. Otherwise looks very comfortable! Just my opinion but I don't like the look of the exposed zipper. I think it would look more polished with a placket. I saw one that zips and has a placket with buttons that I thought looked really nice (but it was way more pricey).

allison finch
Apr. 5, 2011, 02:40 PM
The Kerrits looks sloppy to me. And the Pikeur is a trend that I greatly dislike....SHORT!! I really do not like the short coats at all. Call me traditional.....

pixietrix
Apr. 5, 2011, 03:20 PM
I have shown numerous times in this coat, usually in bad weather, did a stock tie under it, unzipped just enough to show I was trying to be a bit formal (in pouring rain). At any rate, I had a judge stop me at the end of my test once to ask me what kind of jacket it was, she thought it was very attractive.

I think they look great.

Ibex
Apr. 5, 2011, 05:02 PM
I have an Arista Modern Competitor Jacket which is similar, but I think a little more dressy that I have used at a recognized event and I even had the organizer mention my nice turnout before going in the ring. So, I don't think I offended anyone. It does have buttons on the cuffs and a flap over the zipper.

http://www.equinenow.com/store-item-44

I have the same coat, and while it looks great, it's like wearing saran wrap in the sun... :no:

SmartAlex
Apr. 6, 2011, 08:57 AM
Almost all my riding clothes are Kerrits. I love their fabric, and their tailoring fits me perfectly. I never thought about getting the 24k jacket to show in, but something like that to wear in rain and mud, then just throw in the washing machine suddenly makes brilliantly perfect sence.

Bobthehorse
Apr. 6, 2011, 01:17 PM
The picture of the Arista one makes her look like a priest.

Ibex
Apr. 6, 2011, 02:13 PM
The picture of the Arista one makes her look like a priest.

The collar turns over... works really nicely with a stock tie and gets rid of the priest collar look. A hunter coat it ain't :winkgrin:

TeamBraveheart
Apr. 25, 2012, 07:44 PM
Plus size dressage coats are more rare than Grand Prix dressage horses... until you find Kerrits 24K. I was told my prior plus sized dressage coat looked bulky and frumpy on my overweight frame. Kerrits 24 K Jacket is described as flattering and tailored.

Zipper vs. buttons? As a para-dressage rider a zipper is a LOT easier. Hey, there will always be people who make snarky comments if you don't have the most expensive everything, especially when you place higher than them in a show. Do what's right, what you like, not what's merely popular. Its not tails, but it's not meant to be.

I LOVE my Kerrits 24K jacket. Expect to see it at an FEI show. I suspect that the judges will be looking at my dazzling horse, and note a neat, tailored looking rider in a smart jacket.

THANKS KERRITS!!!!

eventer_mi
Apr. 26, 2012, 08:14 AM
I've worn mine twice to recognized shows, with two very different results. The first time was several years ago, when they first came out, and I nearly got eliminated after the dressage because my coat was considered non-traditional (and I was in 2nd place!). The judge still argued with the TD, even though we both showed her that nowhere in the rule book did it say we couldn't wear them, but she relented and we went on to show stadium in my regular jacket, and kept our placing.

The second time was this past weekend, at Longleaf. It was raining off and on during the entire day, and they allowed "inclement weather apparel". I had a standard coat in my trailer, but I warmed up in it and asked if I could wear it for stadium, and nobody batted an eye. So, i think they're becoming more acceptable now. My coat is a darker French blue with a light blue piping, so it's a little off the beaten path style-wise.