PDA

View Full Version : More fencing questions

spacytracy
Apr. 5, 2011, 12:02 PM
Some little details we have to work out, thought I'd get your input.

1. Corners: Rounded, or squared off in the corner - hard to explain, but imagine a perfect corner, and then cut off the sharp part, so horses can't get trapped.

2. Gates: Hot-Dipped Galvanized, or wood gates they make? They say that the wood ones dont' sag, my fear is that they'll be too heavy and get busted up. Or be too cumbersome to open and close quickly.

3. 3 or 4 board? Does it matter? I'm just concerned about them sticking their heads through, and just that 4 board will be more secure, obviously.

Thanks in advance!

ReSomething
Apr. 5, 2011, 12:11 PM
Rounded are nice. Not strictly necessary for adult horses that get along very well but for silly young stock or smallish paddocks they are a good choice.

I like my hot dipped galvanized gate, but get the best quality you can, heavy tubing and galvanizing.

Four boards wind up being closer together, which would be a good idea for your mini.

spacytracy
Apr. 5, 2011, 12:24 PM
Thanks!
My husband likes the look of the wood gates, but I'm just worried about the weight. And the fact that with a metal gate, you can swing it more quickly if a horse tries to sneak out.
The wood gates would look like the bottom right photo.
http://profence.org/types-of-fence-board-fence.php

And yes, I'm worried about mini-man trying to get his head through. Which he'll do, even though we'll have coated wire 1/2 way up, he doesn't feel it sometimes because of his heavy coat and mane! Little turd!

poltroon
Apr. 5, 2011, 12:37 PM
The two things that you didn't ask (and I apologize if I said them to you on another thread)

1. Make the fence 5' tall
2. Buy and measure the gates before you set the post for the opening.

I like my metal pipe gates, but here in California, that is pretty much the standard gate. Do just bite the bullet and buy the strongest tubing they sell and get the hot dipped galvanized. The econo- versions inevitably end up bent and most of the nationally distributed powder coated gates are relatively lightly built and end up rusty. Here we have many local companies that make the pipe gates and panels, and they usually offer a higher quality product than a company that is worried about shipping weight and national distribution.

I have square corners because I have a flex and mesh fence that needs tensioning, and rounded corners would have added to the cost substantially. You won't have this issue with a board fence. I have no problems related to the square corners. The rounded corners are prettier, have some advantages with horses that gang up on each other, and may be easier to mow around. I think either can be a good choice.

If you have a riding path outside your fence (I highly recommend this if your layout can accommodate it) the rounded corners would make going around the outside easier.

spacytracy
Apr. 5, 2011, 12:42 PM
I think the fence is 4.5' tall, have to double check.
The gates would be purchased and brought by the company, so no worries on the measuring.

I would LOVE to do an area outside of the fence. I probably will have that, our excavator is coming out, so I should have enough cleared to do that.

thank you for reminding me of that!

BasqueMom
Apr. 5, 2011, 01:07 PM
A good alternative to the rounded corner is the double 45 degree corner which also allows for using products which require tensioning without a lot of extra hassle setting the posts that rounded corners require.

Here's a link to a drawing of it, just scroll down to page 12.
http://centaurfencing.com/Install/2011centaurmanual.pdf

spacytracy
Apr. 5, 2011, 01:12 PM
YEs, that's what I meant by the corner chopped off...couldn't think of the name.
THANKS!

JB
Apr. 5, 2011, 01:27 PM
I wish I had done rounded corners. I don't have the entrapment issue, but it sure would make mowing easier!

poltroon
Apr. 5, 2011, 01:30 PM
I think the fence is 4.5' tall, have to double check.
The gates would be purchased and brought by the company, so no worries on the measuring.

I would LOVE to do an area outside of the fence. I probably will have that, our excavator is coming out, so I should have enough cleared to do that.

thank you for reminding me of that!

So the reason for the 5' fence is that the extra 6" makes it uncomfortable for horses to hang their heads over. If they can hang their heads over, they will lean on the top board and do a lot more damage to the fence. The taller fence will take less of that wear and tear and also is less convenient for horses to chew on.

If you stay with the lower height, you will probably want to run an electric wire on the inside to keep the horses off.

Western
Apr. 5, 2011, 01:54 PM
I thought of a fence for horses (saw this fence around a house); all you fence gurus are welcome to tell me what you think:

A 5' hurricane fence, laid over with lattice panels on the outside! The prongs along the top being absent, btw.

The fence is strong, safe, maintainence-free, & the lattice makes it look nice! The lattice can be painted white (the one I saw), or any other color.

spacytracy
Apr. 5, 2011, 02:44 PM
Hubby is a fan of rounded for that very reason - mowing. Every time we talk about doing stuff (fencing, doing a washrack, etc) his first question is 'how to mow it'

The fence will have coated wire on the inside, halfway up, to keep them off of it all together. I don't want to do it on top because my horses are smaller (a 14h pony and a mini) and I do not forsee myself getting a ginormous horse in the future - I like them small!

that's not to say that wouldn't change, but if it does we can always run the coated wire on the top after the fact.

spacytracy
Apr. 5, 2011, 02:47 PM
Western, not sure what you mean, or if its for real but I didn't know what hurricane fence was so I googled it - its chain link. From what I have read, chain link can break and be dangerous for horses. Horse-safe fence that is similar is called "no climb" which I believe is welded wire, so there are no breaks in it. someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Not sure how the lattice plays into this, though...

poltroon
Apr. 5, 2011, 03:42 PM
No-climb is a woven wire. You don't want to use welded wire around horses, because it breaks when they push on it.

I've always heard chain link is safe for horses, just overkill/expensive.

spacytracy
Apr. 5, 2011, 04:33 PM
Ah, thanks. I got the two mixed up. Makes sense - "welded" = pieced together, "woven" = one piece

Western
Apr. 5, 2011, 07:38 PM
Oh, chain-link is expensive?? THAT's too bad! The lattice is just for looks, because chain-link is ugly. It also improves visibility of the barrier, & affords a bit of shade.

tasia
Apr. 5, 2011, 08:21 PM
Go for 14 foot wide gates if you plan on having large equipment going thru, fertilizer trucks, spraying equipment etc..