PDA

View Full Version : Tips for posting 'not so high'?

Whistler
Apr. 5, 2011, 10:21 AM
Hi there,
I have an annoying habit of posting very high, as I switched from Dressage to hunt seat only about a year ago. As a kid in the 80s I rode hunt seat but styles have changed so much since then that I really had to unlearn a lot (like not having my toes pointing perpendicular to the horse!).

Anyway, I know I should practice a lot w/out stirrups but are there any other tips you guys have for not looking like a jockey? I watched a vid of myself riding yesterday and had to shake my head...Ugh!

To the MAX
Apr. 5, 2011, 10:29 AM
Try to think about just letting the horse push you up out of the saddle instead of doing all the work yourself! :)

JetSetjr
Apr. 5, 2011, 10:33 AM
This is a great question. I am always being told to not post so high and I dont feel like I am.

Should I practice without stirrups? That's kind of difficult because he's a 7yo WB that's sometimes spooky and I'm an old lady that breaks ;-)

Loch Ness
Apr. 5, 2011, 10:55 AM
Tighten your thighs on the up. That will make you keep more contact with the saddle to stop the over "up" your getting with posting.

SaturdayNightLive
Apr. 5, 2011, 12:35 PM
Post "forward" instead of "up".

stillknotreel
Apr. 5, 2011, 01:02 PM
Post "forward" instead of "up".

This.

Horses don't move up and down. Don't post up and down. Post forward, think hands to your hips.

sthomas
Apr. 5, 2011, 01:03 PM
Agree with To the Max.

Also, try to think about allowing your heels to drop and lifting your toes as you post. You are likely pushing off your stirrups.

Whistler
Apr. 5, 2011, 01:25 PM
I like the mantra, 'hands to hips', To The Max. It actually helps me to have a little reminder to repeat in my head like that :)
I was doing fine on the smooth appendix boy that i was leasing, who got into the perfect frame, but my new TB is more of a bouncy challenge with longer faster strides and occasional giraffe neck.
Thanks all for your advice.

Bearhunter
Apr. 5, 2011, 03:10 PM
I agree about posting forward (as opposed to up) and to think of the motion coming from your thighs not your entire leg.

I rode saddleseat for 20 years before switching to hunt seat 5 years ago. It took a while for me to adjust my posting as well.

babecakes
Apr. 5, 2011, 04:44 PM
oh yeah the pelvic thrust - it's an awful visual :eek:

Think sink, down into your leg, no standing on the stirrup, no loose heels, and hold your weight back in your hips. SLOW DOWN! Like said, using a bit of thigh to hold the movement. Overall do the 'tighten up' :D now I can't get that song out of my head.

Keep in mind that this is important - a busy rider is so distracting on a horse - minimalist is best. It's like the funky white boy dancing - thrashing his body about - when the soul music plays it's so much more sexier to be subtle 'understated.' :yes:

naturalequus
Apr. 5, 2011, 11:41 PM
oh yeah the pelvic thrust - it's an awful visual :eek:

Think sink, down into your leg, no standing on the stirrup, no loose heels, and hold your weight back in your hips. SLOW DOWN! Like said, using a bit of thigh to hold the movement. Overall do the 'tighten up' :D now I can't get that song out of my head.

This. Think forward as opposed to up, thrust forward from your hips and core.

NeedsAdvil
Apr. 6, 2011, 12:19 AM
I like the mantra, 'hands to hips', To The Max. It actually helps me to have a little reminder to repeat in my head like that :)
I was doing fine on the smooth appendix boy that i was leasing, who got into the perfect frame, but my new TB is more of a bouncy challenge with longer faster strides and occasional giraffe neck.
Thanks all for your advice.

Posting higher on a horse that is already trotting longer and faster is only going to encourage more trot. Think about only leaving the saddle by 1", holding the position with your core muscles, then gently lowering yourself back to the sit part of the trot. Also, consciously slowing down your post will help you to post lower and become more aware of controlling the muscles that help with that.

Any exercises that help with developing a strong seat in general will also help with this problem: post up-up-down, two-point, ride with one stirrup dropped (then switch so you drop the other- first the outside, then the inside). All will help develop muscle memory and body control.

Whistler
Apr. 6, 2011, 01:56 AM
Ooh..these are great tips! Did not think of mixing it up with dropping one stirrup, or going up-up-down, etc. And the going higher on the post making my horse faster makes total sense! I think my trainer was just having trouble articulating how to achieve the small post. I'm all excited to try it tomorrow!

smm20
Apr. 6, 2011, 03:12 AM
Think about doing squats as you post.

When you do squats, it's not like you fling yourself up out of the squat - it is a controlled motion the entire time with your weight balanced and your muscles engaged.

purplnurpl
Apr. 6, 2011, 09:53 AM
I have the same issue with my post.

I tried to post forward instead of up last night and it only tipped me forward.

I've always had to imagine someone yelling at me "calm your post or quiet your post".

That seems to be the only thing that helps me.

Sunnyhorse
Apr. 6, 2011, 11:55 AM
Think of rolling forward onto your inner thighs rather than popping up like a jack-in-the-box.

naturalequus
Apr. 6, 2011, 12:45 PM
I have the same issue with my post.

I tried to post forward instead of up last night and it only tipped me forward.

I've always had to imagine someone yelling at me "calm your post or quiet your post".

That seems to be the only thing that helps me.

Would it help to think of it as "posting through your shoulders"? Keep your chest out, shoulders back, tighten your core, and gently but firmly thrust your hips forward.

cnvh
Apr. 6, 2011, 01:09 PM
I concentrate on lifting by squeezing the butt muscles rather than "standing" with my thighs.