PDA

View Full Version : for us pointy-head riders : 3 cheers for Charles Owen AYR8!

FlightCheck
Apr. 5, 2011, 08:59 AM
As per a previous post, I have been looking forever for a new helmet for my small, pointy head (husband's words).

My old Tipperary fit beautifully, but they no longer make them.

I tried on EVERY helmet in 4 large tack stores (Ocala, etc) and could not find anything.

And then....vendor at horse show had the AYR8. Tried it on - hmmm, comfortable! No pressure point at the front of my head, yet it stayed secure if I turned my head upside-down and shook it.

Had discussion with self about price.
Had discussion with self about pretentious skunk stripe helmet.
Had discussion with self about continuing to ride in Tipperary (with large crack mended with super glue in visor).
Had discussion with self about example for little children re: safety of riding with large ugly super glue crack in helmet.

End result? Bought helmet. Thought I would just use it for showing. Hah! Have used it every time I have ridden since buying it. Love it!

So for those of you with long oval pointy heads, I highly recommend it!!

eponacowgirl
Apr. 5, 2011, 09:03 AM
I love it as well! The proII skull is the same fit! I have it for XC, the AYR8 for showing and one day will have another proII for schooling!

scubed
Apr. 5, 2011, 09:38 AM
Head shape, so interesting. I tried it as well and would have been happy to spring for it, but turns out the GR8 and JR8 actually fit me better despite being a self-proclaimed pin-head, so I'll spend the money on something else