PDA

View Full Version : Horse showing in the rain

AliCat
Apr. 5, 2011, 12:23 AM
I have recently started showing again after a 15 year break, and fortunately I have been lucky with the weather. That might come to an end this weekend. You guys seem to always be prepared for the elements and more at shows, so I am looking for any tips you have. How to stay dry, clean, comfortable, etc.

Fortunately, this is a "home" show, so I will not have to deal with shipping. Either way, I am hoping you guys have some suggestions for things that I might discover the hard way on Sunday :)

JustThatSimple
Apr. 5, 2011, 06:29 AM
A good rain jacket and depending on what your showing in/what level the rain pants that cover your breeches.

Other then that, bring a change of dry clothes. Be conscious of how much time your spending in the rain/warming up/etc.

Unless a big class I try to ask if I can keep my rain jacket on- most of the time it's a yes. For this reason have a well fitting, non flapping, reserved rain coat (Navy coat by Henry Lloyd or black on black Helly Hansen works for me.)

Good luck, stay dry, and remember some extra towels for your partner when he's done his days work as well.

Czar
Apr. 5, 2011, 06:53 AM
How much rain are we talking?

I was at a show a few years ago with torrential downpours but b/c it was a big show with good footing; it was not canceled. My horse slipped in behind & was never the same since :no:

I was always the "I'll show in anything" type but since then, if it's raining too hard - I suck it up & pay the scratch fee.

pm59
Apr. 5, 2011, 06:58 AM
I make sure the pony and kid have complete rain gear( rain sheet for pony, rain suit for kid) lots of towels and really check the footing, if its the least bit slippery we scratch.

mcohen416@ufl.edu
Apr. 5, 2011, 08:02 AM
I remember schooling for a show once in the pouring rain, and not only did my clothing get soaked, but my half pad, and my gloves were dripping. I was wringing out my gloves at the end of the day.

Id say just get a nice rain coat...

myalter1
Apr. 5, 2011, 08:27 AM
Me, I wouldn't show. I used show in anything. But now, eh. No reason to. If it's too cold, I don't show. If it's too hot, I don't show...you get the idea. Actually, this year, I'm NOT showing (baby horse).

BUT since that's not what you asked...invest in some rain pants that cover you breeches... I don't have a pair and boy did I wish that I did last year when I ended up showing in the rain....

FlightCheck
Apr. 5, 2011, 08:40 AM
and get the rain pants that snap or zipper all the way up - NO FUN pulling off rain pants over everything ;)

Extra towels and a complete change of clothes in your trailer will help too.

AliCat
Apr. 5, 2011, 09:36 AM
The weather as of now calls for possible thunderstorms or showers, with a high of 63*. I will be showing in the first division of the day, and as I mentioned, it is a "home" show. The footing in the ring I will be riding in is excellent, so I am not super concerned (as it doesn't sound like it will be continuous downpours).

When you guys talk about rain pants, are you schooling in them? Do you just take them off right before you show? Any links? Also, do you use different gloves? I have black leather gloves, and I get the feeling it could be a slimy humid day that does not lend itself to grip. I just want to be prepared :)

Old Fashioned
Apr. 5, 2011, 09:42 AM
Don't forget to keep a cooler near by. It's amazing how cold 63ยบ can get when your wet. Keep your horse warm, covered and dry when not riding.

TrakeGirl
Apr. 5, 2011, 10:56 AM
Had the wonderful experience of riding 2 horses last summer in a classic in between thunderstorms – ie, so no danger of lightening strikes, but it was still raining pretty good. Here is what I learned during my first show experience in the rain:

Helmet (CO) – got soaked, but dries out pretty nicely and hey, it is sorta nice for it to get “washed”. However, harness did bleed a little bit onto my white show collar and it didn’t wash out. So my new rule for riding in the rain is to wear my crappiest show shirt in case this happens again.

2. Tack – also got wet, required cleaning and conditioning afterwards and came out none worse for the wear. However, saddle was only about 2 months old and so I did have some dye bleeding issues into my breeches. That did wash out – but now I will wear my crappiest show pants if riding in the rain.

3. Most important thing – dry gloves. Very difficult gripping the reins with soaking wet gloves – learned this on horse #1. So...for horse #2...I got a dry pair of gloves, tucked them into my pants (covered by a rain coat when warming up) so they would stay dry...warmed up without gloves...and right before going into the ring, had my trainer take a dry towel...wipe my reins down real quick, wiped my hands dry..threw on the dry gloves and went for it. P.S. Don’t be surprised if you take your gloves off and your hands are black.

4. Show coat – I warmed up with a rain coat on and then took it off to show in just my normal coat (that was on under the rain coat). Just required being hung up afterwards and the normal trip to the dry cleaner. It was fine. I didn’t have a nice rain coat to show in.

5. Rain sheet – horse #2 was waiting for me after I got off horse #1 and he was all sorts of nice and dry under the sheet. That was nice. Also nice to be able to throw that back on him after I was done to walk him back to the stable to protect the saddle a little bit more.

6. I hauled them home immediately after the class and as I wasn’t expecting rain, I didn’t have extra clothes. So I got to sit in soaking wet breeches, socks, shirt and sports bra all the way home. That sucked. Have dry clothes to change into.

I actually kinda like showing in warm rain as long as the footing doesn’t turn awful – it is an adventure AND it means I don’t have to be completely fastidious about getting my horse’s 4 whites completely clean and hooves polished since they are going to be trashed immediately. :) If the footing goes bad, I scratch. Just not worth it.

findeight
Apr. 5, 2011, 11:09 AM
I never, ever figured out a way to stay dry in a steady, moderate rain. Oh, you can wear the rain pants and stuff but the minute you take them off? You are soaked. Gloves get soaked within 5 minutes and the dam color sometimes bleeds out all over your hands and anything else nearby. The water runs down the back of your neck and all the way into your breeches, the saddle gets wet, your boots get wet and so forth.

Best advice is to wait, if you can, until it lets up...mud never bothered me, getting soaked did. You can ask if you can wear the coat and rain pants and, these days, most shows don't care. But I found them hot, even at 63, too many layers plus they can be hard to move in. If you go this route, get good ones.

Many have a "sacrifice coat" because, beware, some coats never recover from a soaking. Remember to put the trees back in your damp boots too, or stuff them with something or they may not recover either...and that can get expensive.

Take the tack out when you get home and hang it to dry, don't leave it in the trunk or something. Same with the saddle, don't panic, it will even back out, let it dry then recondition.

We will all hope for nothing worse then a light drizzle for you, or that you are done before the T storms strike.

TrakeGirl
Apr. 5, 2011, 11:26 AM
I never, ever figured out a way to stay dry in a steady, moderate rain.

This. :)

The rest is damage control for all the stuff that gets wet.

Pennywell Bay
Apr. 5, 2011, 11:29 AM
[QUOTE=myalter1;5529337]Me, I wouldn't show. I used show in anything. But now, eh. No reason to. If it's too cold, I don't show. If it's too hot, I don't show...you get the idea.
QUOTE]

:) <Like>

AliCat
Apr. 5, 2011, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the tips. I love the idea of having spare gloves tucked away somewhere. Those are the obvious things that you just don't think of til you have lived it :)

Hunter Mom
Apr. 5, 2011, 04:00 PM
I'm old. I melt. I scratch.

supershorty628
Apr. 5, 2011, 04:41 PM
Do not, under any circumstance, say to yourself "it's really hot and humid and looks like it's going to rain, but I think it'll hold off until after my round. I don't need the raincoat" when you are wearing a white show shirt...Mother Nature will always take on a challenge ;)

I did that (fortunately, I wear camisoles under my shirts haha) and it would NOT have been pretty without the tank top, haha!!

AliCat
Apr. 5, 2011, 04:44 PM
Do not, under any circumstance, say to yourself "it's really hot and humid and looks like it's going to rain, but I think it'll hold off until after my round. I don't need the raincoat" when you are wearing a white show shirt...Mother Nature will always take on a challenge ;)

I did that (fortunately, I wear camisoles under my shirts haha) and it would NOT have been pretty without the tank top, haha!!
OMG. I knew there was a reason I wear a ribbed tank under my white show shirt regardless of temp!

pds
Apr. 5, 2011, 05:11 PM
I'm old. I melt. I scratch.

Exactly what I do. :)

Showing in the rain is not my (or my horses) idea of fun

AliCat
Apr. 5, 2011, 06:26 PM
Exactly what I do. :)

Showing in the rain is not my (or my horses) idea of fun

I have only been doing 2 shows per year (and this is the 2nd).

I am trying a new (to me) division at this show which is the last schooling show at the farm, and depending on how it goes will determine if I want to join USEF and do more recognized shows this summer :)

Trust me, I am not all that interested in showing in rain, but I don't have another opportunity at this price point.

Let's_Motor
Apr. 5, 2011, 06:33 PM
I bought a full rain suit from LL Bean a couple years ago (not the gore-tech one, just the normal one), and it is the best thing ever for rainy horse shows. The jacket is fitted enough to wear while riding, and I wear the pants around the horse show until I have to get on my horse

I think the jacket and pants put me back about $100, and they are worth every penny...:yes:

findeight
Apr. 5, 2011, 06:54 PM
Thought of something else-your horse. Some of them absolutely hate it when they have to gallop into the wind and the rain gets them head on in the face and can get into their ears. There is nothing like riding in a wind driven rain with the horse shaking its head every stride right up to the base of a fence and immediately start again on landing. Does not impress most judges either if it's a Hunter.

Ear bunnies or just stuffing them with cotton really helps keep the water out. For about 10 minutes until they get wet, but that's plenty of time for your round. I wouldn't use them for the first time but once they are used to them, they can really help you.

AliCat
Apr. 5, 2011, 06:58 PM
Thought of something else-your horse. Some of them absolutely hate it when they have to gallop into the wind and the rain gets them head on in the face and can get into their ears. There is nothing like riding in a wind driven rain with the horse shaking its head every stride right up to the base of a fence and immediately start again on landing. Does not impress most judges either if it's a Hunter.

Ear bunnies or just stuffing them with cotton really helps keep the water out. For about 10 minutes until they get wet, but that's plenty of time for your round. I wouldn't use them for the first time but once they are used to them, they can really help you.

Good information there. I am apparently a nervous wreck on horse show days (2 of my 4 falls in the last several years have come at shows, including one a couple weeks ago). I am moving into the hunter ring with slightly larger fences on a new to me school horse, so I will keep your words in mind when I start to panic about head shaking :lol: