PDA

View Full Version : Back On Track Products vs Magnet Sheets? Young mare slightly back sore

Zoomd
Apr. 4, 2011, 11:29 PM
I was wondering if anyone has experience with these sheets offered that claim to reduce inflammation and muscular (and even joint?) pains through magnet sheets or BackOnTrack's ceramic fiber sheets. My mare decided she was fed up with my saddle, which doesnt fit quite right because the fitters cant get out till Summer to adjust it (ugh!), and had a meltdown in dressage at Morven over it. She's slightly reactive to palpation around where the back of my saddle/seatbones area.

Has anyone had these products really work on a sore back? I use their no-bow wraps now and then, and they seem to have an effect but I just don't want to spend $200+ on a sheet that may not do a thing.

besum1
Apr. 5, 2011, 01:52 AM
I know that my mom bought a bunch of back on track accessories (blanket, quick wraps, hock wraps?- dog blanket) and has had great success with it! Her 20+yr old quarter horse that has small feet, ringbone, arthritis, etc. has been able to stay sound with the back on track ensemble- plus she noticed he wasn't tripping as much as he did before. And her 14 year old dog with back problems wears the blanket at night and started acting like a puppy after a few hours of wearing the blanket for the 1st time! Now she tells you when it's time to put her blanket on at night :)

I bought a shirt and socks at WEG and can't say enough great things about them! The socks I swear fixed my feet- I think I had plantar faciatis (sp?) and now my feet don't bother me at all- and neck cricks that would last days- I wrap the shirt around my neck and the crick is gone by the time i wake up in the am. And pretty much any back soreness I might have is gone when i wear the shirt.

SO basically- I LOVE the back on track items. My understanding of magnets is they increase muscle spasm (which increases blood flow?) where you place them and when you take it off the muscles relax and that's the relief- and you can only have the blankets on a certain amount of time- this isn't the case with BOT- it can stay on as long as you want (aka over night)- though they do recommend starting with a couple of hours at a time at first. The ceramic fibers reflect the body heat back which increases blood flow and promotes healing.

Though this is just a temporary fix- if the saddle keeps causing a problem it'll just keep fixing the same thing- but it sounds like it's just scheduling that is keeping you from getting your saddle fixed :( (I hate it when that happens!)

Anyways good luck and I hope whatever you do works!

deltawave
Apr. 5, 2011, 08:39 AM
They claim all manner of things, because there is nothing saying they can't do so. What these products might provide is a little bit of heat, which may or may not be helpful in a given situation. Magnets essentially do NOTHING AT ALL, other than lie there and act like a blanket. The ceramic materials are good at retaining heat. You're getting nothing "extra" or secret or scientific or cutting edge from either--just a little heat.

Far better to get a diagnosis first before randomly spending money on expensive gadgets to treat something. :)

quietann
Apr. 5, 2011, 10:26 AM
My rehabbing mare (see the proximal suspensory thread) became back-sore while being brought back into work. The vet saw her and wanted to do mesotherapy, but could not set up the appointment for a couple of weeks. In the meantime, enough people had recommended BoT products that I decided to try the saddle pad -- and it made a HUGE difference. My horse loves it. The vet came all prepared to do mesotherapy and was amazed at how she was doing, so no treatment was done. I may add a blanket or sheet or something when the weather starts to get colder, because my horse gets stiff in the cold New England winters.

(Per deltawave: get a diagnosis first!)

ponysize
Apr. 5, 2011, 10:42 AM
I have had great success with back on track products, both horse and human. Have never tried the magnets and probably never will.

DraperEquine
Apr. 5, 2011, 12:34 PM
@deltawave is right, unfortunately when it comes certain things, you should always consult a veterinarian first to see if there is a deeper issue, but if you have an ill fitting saddle, no gadgets you'll get will fix the underlying problem.

There are also so many other type of therapeutic products on the market going well past magnets and ceramic fibers. You can get ionized products such as Sirona, products with Celliant, infrared therapy and so on. Equine rehabilitation centers in your area can also help teach you about the different therapies out there including a solarium, sound wave technology, etc. There is so much out there it's hard not to get lost!

Zoomd
Apr. 5, 2011, 12:37 PM
Just to note, the vet came out to look at her last night and she was definitely still reactive in certain areas and determined as likely only muscular stress... Vet recommended a daily muscle relaxing drug(the name is escaping me) for a period of time or local injections in her back if it persists after some time off and using a better fitting saddle for a while*. Either solution affects our eventing schedule, since the withdrawal period for them is significant, although obviously well be taking it easy while she is hurting.

So I'm definitely considering the BoT products to help improve her. Magnets seem like maybe a bit of BS?

*and by while, I'm implying until I can get it properly fitted to her

deltawave
Apr. 5, 2011, 12:45 PM
I would try to avoid at all costs riding in a saddle that made my horse hurt, even for "a while".Hopefully the replacement saddle fits well and she goes comfortably in it.

Zoomd
Apr. 5, 2011, 12:52 PM
Another note, my saddle is a Schleese, and therefore the tree, curvature and all other aspects are completely adjustable with their machine; hence the waiting for the fitters... Don't worry I don't plan on riding in it before it is completely fixed! I imagine wearing a heavy backpack with pointy objects in it when I think of keeping a horse in an ill-fitting saddle. Ouch!

oldenmare
Apr. 5, 2011, 01:35 PM
Agree with the posters who said you need to get the saddle fit fixed before moving on with this horse...

That said - I have used both magnetic and Back on Track products for myself as well as my horse.

I never noticed any difference with the magnets for either myself or horse, but I have noticed a significant improvement with my BOT wrist wrap (once broken, now has issues) and I've seen quite a difference with my horse and the BOT saddle pad (and I do also use a Mattes pad over it).

Just fwiw.

Zoomd
Apr. 5, 2011, 04:18 PM
Based on this, I think I'm going to go with the Back on Track products... as far as their blankets/sheets, is there a difference in the effectiveness between the mesh sheet, indoor sheet, or the other varieties they offer? I think the mesh sheet would best fit my needs.

besum1
Apr. 5, 2011, 04:29 PM
I don't think there is a difference except what the outside temp is and when you can put the blanket on. My mom got the mesh blanket so she could use it during the summer. In the winter she just puts the mesh one under Joe's blanket and it works fine.

ponysize
Apr. 5, 2011, 04:45 PM
I think the mesh sheets are the most versatile. I really like those.

WW_Queen
Apr. 5, 2011, 06:11 PM
I have the mesh blanket. Totally love it. My horse's back has actually risen after 3 months of wearing it. It was completely worth it. (I actually sold some of my old tack that I no longer used, and used that money to offset the cost of the blanket. :) )

Miichelle
Apr. 5, 2011, 06:19 PM
I agree with the BoT fans but prefer a Thinline half pad over the saddle pad to absorb shock. I think the sheepskin pads work well also but I don't like the "perched" feeling I get when using one. I prefer a thinner half pad & Thinline is a great product.

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Apr. 5, 2011, 07:45 PM
I have and like the back on track products. My young mare threw out her SI (this was properly diagnosed and any other possible source of pain was ruled out through extensive veterinary diagnosis, including a bone scan...) between passing the vet check and me picking her up, so I've been dealing with this for the last 7 months. And just when monthly chiro, massage and careful conditioning got her to be 100%, she played so hard that she fell, and we're back to the chiro.

In other words, I'd strongly recommend body work if there is soreness. The back on track stuff will definitely help, but it won't do the trick alone.