PDA

View Full Version : Update on my saddle FUBAR saga!!!!!

dodedo
Apr. 4, 2011, 11:11 PM
Drum roll..............
I wanted to let everyone know what has transpired since the "train wreck" thread got closed.
Cursed Saddle arrived and was turned right back around and sent back to where it came from. As promised the seller has credited me the entire amt of the purchase and that is back on my PayPal acct as per a PP email received today.
I have no idea what is to become of that particular saddle.
The seller is supposed to return it to
<un-named saddle maker #2> who is suppoded to refund the seller (Maryland Tack Exchange) the money she paid to buy the saddle from them.
<un-named saddle maker #2> is then supposed to take care of things with the <un-named proff rider> and CWD is supposed to be taken care of as well. Phew! That is all I will say as far as details. Just wanted to let everyone know that besides the fact that I have no saddle and never even got to see this one, I at least have my money back and am happy from that perspective.
Just remember that when you buy a saddle it would be a good idea to check on the serial numbers so this crazy mess doesn't happen to you! I know I will do the same!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kryswyn
Apr. 5, 2011, 01:25 AM
Well, I for one, was dying to know what had happened. Did I see something in the original thread that CWD was going to sell you this saddle at a price lower than you paid on Ebay once they got it back? That might have just been some poster's suggestion that CWD do this for 'goodwill' that got spun as fact. Is it true?

mvp
Apr. 5, 2011, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the update.

There was so much speculation about the lyin' cheatin' done you wrong nature of people in that thread! Meh. Most of the people involved in this are long-term sellers of saddles. They probably didn't get to their positions in this industry by ripping people off very often. So I had an informed faith that they'd do right.

The professional rider that started it all? He/she oughtta be ashamed. Whether the pro didn't read the sponsorship agreement with CWD or didn't care to follow it, I just. don't. care. That person is in a position of running what I assume is a successful business, too. That means it's reasonable to expect professionalism there, too. I only rant on this point because the horse business is notorious for being fast and loose. I'm not interested in people at the top behaving badly and so that others think its ok to follow suit.

I'm also sad that the OP didn't get to even see and smell the luscious saddle. And the particular UPS guy wasn't eye candy.

SonnysMom
Apr. 5, 2011, 09:57 AM
The professional rider that started it all? He/she oughtta be ashamed. Whether the pro didn't read the sponsorship agreement with CWD or didn't care to follow it, I just. don't. care. That person is in a position of running what I assume is a successful business, too. That means it's reasonable to expect professionalism there, too. I only rant on this point because the horse business is notorious for being fast and loose. I'm not interested in people at the top behaving badly and so that others think its ok to follow suit.

Don't villify the pro rider yet. We don't know exactly what transpired there. As others have pointed out some pro riders have many saddles and they travel a lot. If this isn't a saddle that they use much it may have been stolen and traded and the pro rider may not have noticed.
They may have made a genuine mistake and traded the saddle. If most/all of her other sponsored saddles are owned outright it can be easy to make a mistake.
Hey, groom/BM/WS, I need you to take one of the saddles that isn't getting used much down to the tack store and trade it for Brand X, model Y. I need that for such and such horse right now. The CWD isn't getting used much so that is the one selected by somebody that may not be privy to the sponsorship details. OOPS.
Mistakes happen.
As is repeated on CoTH many times just because somebody is a good trainer or instructor doesn't make them the most organized business person out there.
My trainer is a LBNT and I don't know how she does it. She runs flat out all day every day and has tons of balls in the air. I can't even begin to imagine for some of these pro riders at the UL of their sport. They have bigger barns, are competing, training, giving clinics and teaching lessons all over the country or even all over the world.
Yes they will have more employees but that is one more duty they have: oversee the BM, work with WS etc....
This industry is labor intensive.

Last I checked everybody makes mistakes. Well maybe except Bark.A, Pocket Trainer and Aunt Ester.:winkgrin:

kelsey97
Apr. 5, 2011, 09:59 AM
I recently bought a used 2009 CWD from a tack shop I hadn't done business with before, so I had CWD check the serial before I bought it. You can't be too careful ;)

I'm selling it when my new one arrives, PM me if you want details on it!

Rosie
Apr. 5, 2011, 10:03 AM
I didn't get a chance to post on the original thread before it was (thankfully) closed.
OP, I thought you handled the entire thing very well - having been involved in a "stolen saddle" situation myself, I know how stressful it can be.

Without going into details - my situation was "owning" a saddle for 2 years before finding out it was stolen property. Amandine/CWD were very helpful and professional in helping me deal with it and even contacted the seller for me ( who was also shocked to learn it was stolen).
Unfortunately, stolen saddles are sold all the time - and it is easy to lose a great deal of money even if you are pretty careful in who you do business with.

I do think making people aware of the importance of checking serial numbers with saddle companies before purchasing a saddle FROM ANYONE would be really helpful is stopping these types of transactions.

In this case, I agree with mvp. Shame on the pro who "traded" the saddle in. Very unprofessional and dishonest behavior.
I think Amandine/CWD acted appropriately in this situation. Hope they get their saddle back.

ok. as Sonnysmom has a good point - I'll add: Shame on pro if they KNOWINGLY traded in a saddle they didn't own.
Although I believe as a "professional" they should be a good enough business person to either know themselves or employ people who know, what they own and what they don't. Pretty basic information when running a business.

mvp
Apr. 5, 2011, 02:49 PM
Don't villify the pro rider yet. We don't know exactly what transpired there. As others have pointed out some pro riders have many saddles and they travel a lot. If this isn't a saddle that they use much it may have been stolen and traded and the pro rider may not have noticed.
They may have made a genuine mistake and traded the saddle. If most/all of her other sponsored saddles are owned outright it can be easy to make a mistake.
Hey, groom/BM/WS, I need you to take one of the saddles that isn't getting used much down to the tack store and trade it for Brand X, model Y. I need that for such and such horse right now. The CWD isn't getting used much so that is the one selected by somebody that may not be privy to the sponsorship details. OOPS.
Mistakes happen.
As is repeated on CoTH many times just because somebody is a good trainer or instructor doesn't make them the most organized business person out there.
My trainer is a LBNT and I don't know how she does it. She runs flat out all day every day and has tons of balls in the air. I can't even begin to imagine for some of these pro riders at the UL of their sport. They have bigger barns, are competing, training, giving clinics and teaching lessons all over the country or even all over the world.
Yes they will have more employees but that is one more duty they have: oversee the BM, work with WS etc....

Last I checked everybody makes mistakes. Well maybe except Bark.A, Pocket Trainer and Aunt Ester.:winkgrin:

I know. I'm just a hard-a$$ who thinks the person at the top of the organization, the one whose name is on the product the public sees, the one who gets paid the most, that person is the Buck Stopper. It could be that the BNR is clearing this up as we speak. Hope so. If you can go to the Olympics, you can stop a buck within your own organization, right?

mvp
Apr. 5, 2011, 02:55 PM
Mistakes happen.

I know. I'm just a hard-a$$ who thinks the person at the top of the organization, the one whose name is on the product the public sees, the one who gets paid the most, that person is the Buck Stopper. It could be that the BNR is clearing this up as we speak. Hope so. If you can go to the Olympics, you can stop a buck within your own organization, right?