PDA

View Full Version : Buying a TB Broodmare

Corsica80
Apr. 4, 2011, 10:40 PM
How much does a quality Thoroughbred broodmare range from?I am looking to start a bredding business.

LaurieB
Apr. 4, 2011, 11:18 PM
You would probably have to define what you mean by "quality" for people to give you an estimate.

Corsica80
Apr. 4, 2011, 11:22 PM
By quality, I mean, a mare who will produce an offspring who will have the ability to perform on the track.

spotted draft x filly
Apr. 5, 2011, 05:01 AM
Good luck. The whole breeding/racing thing is a gamble. You'll never know what you'll get. A really impressive bred mare or even one that has done spectacular on the track might not produce much of anything or she might have some really great foals. Look at the pedigrees of the horses that are winning and you can get an idea of what crosses have the higher chance of getting a decent runner.

LaurieB
Apr. 5, 2011, 09:24 AM
By quality, I mean, a mare who will produce an offspring who will have the ability to perform on the track.

With that broad a definition I would say that in the current market your range would be between $1,000 and about $2,000,000.

Acertainsmile
Apr. 5, 2011, 09:26 AM
Your going to have to do alot of research on pedigrees, what babies from a particuliar mating sell for, and how they perform. Real quality mares can be had for 6 figures and up.

Laurierace
Apr. 5, 2011, 09:27 AM
I was going to say free to $10,000,000.

selah
Apr. 5, 2011, 09:47 AM
There are also horseracing partnerships that might be a satisfying alternative to starting from ground zero aiming for the stars...

Las Olas
Apr. 5, 2011, 10:46 AM
For commercial purposes, buying in this market, you could find a decent mare for $30,000. Either a stakes-placed maiden off the track, or an older stakes producing mare. It will cost you much more for a hot pedigree.

If you are breeding to keep and race all of the foals yourself, you can find a quality mare for less.

danceronice
Apr. 5, 2011, 10:49 AM
I could pick up a mare who would probably produce something I could run in the low claimers...probably for free at the backside of any track. Why I would WANT to do that is another story.

Compete in stakes company? I don't have the eye or experience to pick that mare out of lineup and I don't have the pockets for a fashionable bloodline that goes well in the sales ring. Even if I did there's the question of having money to pay for a broodmare's upkeep.

rustbreeches
Apr. 5, 2011, 11:24 AM
Not to be rude, but there is that old saying, "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" Cheap mares are a dime a dozen, as are cheap stallions. What track do you want to be competitive at? Penn? Philly? Belmont? Are you looking to breed a cheap CT sprinter? Your best bet to find a mare worth breeding would be a sale, like Fasig-Tipton or Keeneland but all the mixed sales are over for the season.

I have a very deep seated belief that there are enough cheap horses out there without adding to the mix, so if you are intent on beginning a breeding business, I urge you to get in contact with a reputable blood stock agent to help you clearly define your goals and determine the best business plan for your finances. The initial purchase price is a drop in the bucket compared to stud fees, vet fees, mare and foal care, training fees etc.

Hunter's Rest
Apr. 5, 2011, 11:32 AM
Sincerely, please don't add any more randomly-bred Tb horses - I just picked up 6 SIX bred/in-foal/proven producers for FREE a couple months ago (for sport-type homes here in Va.) Perhaps one of the resulting foals (4 of which are already born - including the one I kept!) will race (doubtful but possible) but what each of the new owners can feel happy and responsible about is that we each offered a nice sort of mare (and the foal she was carrying) a chance at a future (all had produced starters/some winners but nothing special - hence the giveaways) without ADDING MORE HORSES unnecessarily.
Consider carefully what you're asking.
The quickest way to make a million dollars in the Thoroughbred breeding business?
Start with two million.

EponaRoan
Apr. 5, 2011, 03:08 PM
The quickest way to make a million dollars in the Thoroughbred breeding business?
Start with two million.

The version I heard was 5 million. :lol::lol:

summerhorse
Apr. 5, 2011, 10:06 PM
You can usually find good broodmares dirt cheap at Ocala mixed sales. People are still deathly afraid of supporting mares and foals. If you want to race the foal yourself you can do very well (also as above many are simply free in the sales ads!). If you want to avoid the risk of breeding I second joining a partnership to get your feet wet. Right now breeding to sell is not for the faint of heart or slight of wallet!!

KBEquine
Apr. 6, 2011, 06:17 PM
Greetings from right down I-81 in Carlisle, PA & welcome to the PA breeders' program. My answer is that you can actually find one for somewhere between free & $10,000 (I got the $10,000 figure a couple years ago from a bloodstock agent & his explanation made sense to me, so I'm willing to repeat his advice here).

Or, as other folks have said, you can also pay a whole lot more than $10,000.

But if you are watchful, you can find graded stakes-performing mares in the $5k to $10k claiming ranks toward the end of their career, in which case it is possible to find a mare whose race record is good enough to get her accepted to decent stallions & whose paper is good enough to get interest in her foals at sale for that price, assuming you do everything else right. (But if you have a good eye for pedigree & conformation, and are planning to breed the foal & take it to the racetrack as the owner, it is just as possible to find the right 'free' mare that, if you take her to the right stallion AND the right trainer, can give you a winner & a lot of satisfaction.

Somewhere I have "what to look for in a broodmare" information that I've gathered through research. If you're interested in the research, I'll be happy to share - just PM me your email address & I'll send it.

Right on Target
Apr. 9, 2011, 07:44 PM
You may also be able to do a breeding lease. There are probably a lot of good deals out there. We got our mare (black type winner) for $1 from friends and she just had her first foal last week!

We were planning to have someone do a breeding lease on her for the up coming season- but it fell through and we haven't really pursued anything else. In theory it would work out well for all parties- we don't have to pay board for her for a year and someone else gets a nice foal out of the mare w/out having to buy her.

In our situation, we were planning to require that they keep the mare at the broodmare farm in PA where she currently lives so we could keep tabs on her and her health (or another farm we approved). I'd bet that there are other situations like this out there- quality mares for free or affordable leases.