PDA

View Full Version : Hind end over jumping front end

CHT
Apr. 4, 2011, 08:39 PM
Watched a video of a 4 year old GP prospect free jumping. Horse just clears the jump with the front end, but is at least a foot over with the hind end. he flips his bum up so enthusiasticly that he almost falls on the land. Would you consider this an issue? Or be thrilled with how well he flips up his hind end?

CBoylen
Apr. 4, 2011, 08:46 PM
The young ones with great hind ends often overpower themselves in front. As long as you see glimpses of the front end you want to have later, it's just something to keep in mind when making them up, not an "issue". At least when the horse is under tack. I wouldn't place any money that either the front or the back will look the same under tack as they do when free jumping.

goodmorning
Apr. 5, 2011, 12:15 AM
Some horses are bred for that kick. The Q-line horses are a great example of this hind end. If you do some searching, you can probably find a stallion by this line compltete with photos/video and note the developement of the jump. There's a breeding farm up in Canada with a good website, though the name is escaping me at the moment.

Madeline
Apr. 5, 2011, 12:22 AM
I'm told that that kick makes GP folk drool....

andy.smaga
Apr. 5, 2011, 05:12 AM
he flips his bum up so enthusiasticly that he almost falls on the land. Would you consider this an issue? Or be thrilled with how well he flips up his hind end?
This is very desirable for a jumper.
Because it's almost impossible to teach a horse to do that, and on the other hand it's easy to improve the front end by using simple exercise.
Also a rider can "help" the horse to clear the jump with the front end but will have very little influence on the hind end.

RyuEquestrian
Apr. 5, 2011, 11:49 AM
Some horses are bred for that kick. The Q-line horses are a great example of this hind end. If you do some searching, you can probably find a stallion by this line compltete with photos/video and note the developement of the jump. There's a breeding farm up in Canada with a good website, though the name is escaping me at the moment.

I believe that the farm you are thinking of is Ferme Beaulieu? The C-Line is also known for giving power and good hind end technique.

I have always been told that a front end can be fixed (with gymnastics), but never mess with a horse with a poor hind end. When we free jump our horses as youngsters we look for the opening of the haunches. Sometimes they are a bit reluctant to open up behind when they are green andn tense, but as they relax and become used to the shoot, they will open up more and more (if they have it in them).

Free jumping video of one of our mares that I think opens up well behind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0A7ZT-wZJM

CHT
Apr. 5, 2011, 04:33 PM
Interesting, thanks! What you are all saying makes sense, it just looked rather odd to me as the horse almost falls down on the land as its hind end flips so freakishly high! he jumps like a cat...which I guess is a good thing!

My friends are flying down to see him as a GP/stallion prospect next week and I am very excited for them! (there trainer was drooling when he found him).

purplnurpl
Apr. 5, 2011, 06:08 PM
http://www.fermebeaulieufarm.com/id103.htm

http://www.fermebeaulieufarm.com/id97.htm

: )

doublesstable
Apr. 5, 2011, 07:48 PM
Interesting, thanks! What you are all saying makes sense, it just looked rather odd to me as the horse almost falls down on the land as its hind end flips so freakishly high! he jumps like a cat...which I guess is a good thing!

My friends are flying down to see him as a GP/stallion prospect next week and I am very excited for them! (there trainer was drooling when he found him).

How old is he? I have seen horses (jumpers) where they weight the hinds for this action.... do you think he was weighted?

I have seen horses that buck out over the top of the jump due to training with those weights.