PDA

View Full Version : Who in VA wanted to keep bees?

JSwan
Apr. 4, 2011, 06:50 PM
Came across this while reading up on the extension site.

Tech offers a Master Beekeeper Program. It's a 3 tiered program offering certification. If you take it through the extension, it's offered statewide and is taken through workshops and short-courses.

www.apiculture.ento.vt.edu

Looks pretty cool.

Ridge Runner
Apr. 4, 2011, 08:18 PM
It was me that was asking last week. I'm fascinated with the idea. I'll check out that program! Thanks!

ddb
Apr. 10, 2011, 10:33 AM
Hey DayDream - was in Southern States (Chesapeake) yesterday and they had local Bee Keepers there. I've seen them a few times in there with tables full of info on how to do this. Bet if you give them a call they can hook you up with a local group.

P.S. must ask... do you know if the Va Beach black bear captured Friday was taken out to your neck of the woods for relocation?

mpsbarnmanager
Apr. 10, 2011, 04:46 PM
Hey ddb, we are neighbors, I live in chesapeake too!

ddb
Apr. 10, 2011, 06:59 PM
Well hello neighbor :) Just heard Shadow (VA Beach Bear) was relocated and released at an unnamed location in the Dismal Swamp. Hope he will be much happier there:)

Ridge Runner
Apr. 10, 2011, 10:06 PM
Oh hey...I missed the activity on the thread. Late to the party.

Poor bear...he was just going surfing! Why molest him? Va. Beach is not worth worrying about anyway! ;-)

We actually have lots of them out there. A few years ago my husband hit one in the dark and rain. Bear ran off and left his car with $4,000 worth of damage.

Interesting about the beekeepers in Chesapeake. I may not have time to really pursue this until later but I do want to learn more.

mps..I'm in South Suffolk...other side of the Swamp and closer to Corapeake, NC.