PDA

View Full Version : American Invitational internet broadcast

Pinto WB
Apr. 4, 2011, 01:23 PM
Does anyone know if they will be airing this Saturday's American Invitational on the internet? If so, what website? Thanks!

MHM
Apr. 4, 2011, 05:21 PM
I've been getting emails about the Invitational (not sure how I got on their email list), but I haven't seen any mention of a live feed. If I hear of anything, I'll post it.

Pinto WB
Apr. 4, 2011, 07:15 PM
thanks MHM! Do you have the start list?

MHM
Apr. 4, 2011, 07:32 PM
I don't see an order up yet, but you can check www.StadiumJumping.com as it gets closer.

Pinto WB
Apr. 4, 2011, 07:50 PM
cool...thanks - my (co-owned) horse is showing, so I am very excited! :)

MHM
Apr. 4, 2011, 08:46 PM
Wow, cool!

Good luck! Which horse is it?

Pinto WB
Apr. 4, 2011, 08:59 PM
Utan, with Angela Covert-Lawrence! This will be the biggest class of his career thus far!! :)

WEFFER
Apr. 7, 2011, 09:16 PM
www.shownet.biz for the live internet feed

MHM
Apr. 7, 2011, 09:23 PM

Do you happen to know the price? Or is it free?

M. O'Connor
Apr. 7, 2011, 11:00 PM
In the meantime, enjoy this, from the 1982 Invitational:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ-QMLF0Zfw&feature=related

JFJ
Apr. 8, 2011, 10:50 AM

Any more info on this? Live streaming? Live scoring??

Mel0309
Apr. 8, 2011, 11:59 AM
Looks like you could pay a $14.50 one time fee. I think we are having a party Saturday night and watching it!

Pinto WB
Apr. 8, 2011, 01:26 PM
Mel - where are you seeing this price? Are you sure it's not 14.50 per individual round, the way it was for WEF?

Mel0309
Apr. 9, 2011, 01:14 AM
You know what? That never occurred to me. Gosh I hope it isn't that per round! I just assumed it was for the whole thing I guess. Now I am not sure.

JFJ
Apr. 9, 2011, 07:55 AM
I tried contacting them but I've not heard anything back...

MHM
Apr. 9, 2011, 11:06 AM
Let's hope it's not $14.50 per round. That would add up to $500 to watch the whole class if there's much of a jump-off! :eek:

Stoneheart Equestrian
Apr. 9, 2011, 01:27 PM
Is it just me or is anyone else having problems accessing the shownet.biz website?

I can't seem to get it to connect.

DuffyAgain
Apr. 9, 2011, 05:33 PM
Mason Phelps, on Facebook, said that Show Net is carrying it. No other details yet...

Pinto WB
Apr. 9, 2011, 06:35 PM
having trouble too - got a still, jerky pic of some golfers?

JFJ
Apr. 9, 2011, 06:39 PM
What are you paying to watch? I can't see anything but $50 for a subscription??

MHM
Apr. 9, 2011, 06:44 PM
What are you paying to watch? I can't see anything but $50 for a subscription??

I don't know what the price plan is for tonight, but in general, even if you pay for the $50 annual subscription, I believe you still pay on top of that to watch each video.

DuffyAgain
Apr. 9, 2011, 06:59 PM
https://www.shownet.biz/Account/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fResults%2fLive.aspx%3fHors eShowID%3d466&HorseShowID=466

MoonLadyIsis
Apr. 9, 2011, 07:00 PM
for some reason the website keeps telling me to download silverlight, but I already have if on my computer...

DuffyAgain
Apr. 9, 2011, 07:18 PM
I just paid $50 - better get live stream feed!

Mel0309
Apr. 9, 2011, 07:19 PM
We ended up buying the $50 subscription. Black screen now. Hope this works!

MHM
Apr. 9, 2011, 07:20 PM
I just paid $50 - better get live stream feed!

Good luck! Please report back. :)

DuffyAgain
Apr. 9, 2011, 07:41 PM
Yay - I'm watching!

Mel0309
Apr. 9, 2011, 07:43 PM
It is working!! Watching parade of breeds. Some buffering but not too bad.

DuffyAgain
Apr. 9, 2011, 07:49 PM
Parade of Breeds going now....

They had the Paso Fino do his thing on a raised wooden platform so you could hear the very quick pittapat of his hooves!

MHM
Apr. 9, 2011, 07:50 PM
When does the first horse go? I need to kick somebody off the computer! :lol:

MHM
Apr. 9, 2011, 07:53 PM
Parade of Breeds going now....

They had the Paso Fino do his thing on a raised wooden platform so you could hear the very quick pittapat of his hooves!

One year they had them at WEF during an off week. The other horses couldn't figure out where that noise was coming from- lots of spooking and snorting!

Mel0309
Apr. 9, 2011, 07:59 PM
A lot more buffering now. Anyone else having that problem?

MHM
Apr. 9, 2011, 08:09 PM
What did you click on to get to the live feed after you logged in?

Mel0309
Apr. 9, 2011, 08:11 PM
I think live stream at the top maybe?

Buffering every 30 sec. Now. Really annoying! Hope it gets fixed soon!

DuffyAgain
Apr. 9, 2011, 08:15 PM
The buffering issues are driving me crazy. :(

MHM
Apr. 9, 2011, 08:16 PM
Got it, thanks!

I hope it plays a little smoother once the class starts.

This is a nice tribute to Gene Mische. Look how young everybody was in the old pictures. :)

And look at the salt block cell phone! :lol:

DuffyAgain
Apr. 9, 2011, 08:17 PM
My feed has been at a standstill... Anyone else?

MHM
Apr. 9, 2011, 08:20 PM
Frozen right now on the guy in the stands with a microphone.

Wait, I refreshed it and it's working. First horse on course!

Stoneheart Equestrian
Apr. 9, 2011, 08:23 PM
This is not good! Paid a $50 registration and it is frozen. Not impressed!

Stoneheart Equestrian
Apr. 9, 2011, 08:26 PM
Here we go. Its a bit better now but still buffering.

Heavensgate
Apr. 9, 2011, 08:27 PM
Anyone else having problems with buffering every 10 sec and freezing every 30 sec?

MHM
Apr. 9, 2011, 08:29 PM
Mine keeps pausing in "modern art" mode then starting again.

Backstage
Apr. 9, 2011, 08:34 PM
Has anyone watching seen an actual horse jump an actual jump?

A group of us are watching and the buffering is constant. The feed will pause to buffer and we'll miss the ENTIRE round.

Heavensgate
Apr. 9, 2011, 08:36 PM
Very poor quality picture and haven't been able to see a complete round yet even with latest silverlight, extreme high speed connection and state of the art computer. A rip off for $50

MHM
Apr. 9, 2011, 08:45 PM
Has anyone watching seen an actual horse jump an actual jump?

A group of us are watching and the buffering is constant. The feed will pause to buffer and we'll miss the ENTIRE round.

I've seen a few jumps, but never more than two in a row, and I certainly haven't seen more than a handful of jumps in each round. The sound is also very hit or miss.

I signed up for Shownet earlier this year for WEF, but if I had joined and paid just to watch this live feed, I would NOT be happy.

Stoneheart Equestrian
Apr. 9, 2011, 08:51 PM
I wonder what our chances are for getting a refund? Slim to none? :-(

JFJ
Apr. 9, 2011, 08:53 PM
That sounds really terrible! And we've seen several FREE classes on USEFnetwork. Glad I didn't pay...

DuffyAgain
Apr. 9, 2011, 08:55 PM
LOVED Uceko even before he went clear!!!! (Kent Farrington)

DuffyAgain
Apr. 9, 2011, 08:55 PM
The buffering is ridiculous.

MHM
Apr. 9, 2011, 08:59 PM
I wonder what our chances are for getting a refund? Slim to none? :-(

Zero, if you don't at least ask.

Stoneheart Equestrian
Apr. 9, 2011, 09:19 PM
I just sent an email via their "contact us" tab and requested a refund due to the buffering and freezing.

I have watched many live feeds and have never had the reception this bad and the sad part is the others were all free.

JFJ
Apr. 9, 2011, 09:22 PM
Well good luck with "contact us" I emailed them days ago trying to find out about the live feed and I still haven't heard from them, so that is money lost to them. I might have paid, had they made it clear what you had to pay!

JFJ
Apr. 9, 2011, 09:28 PM
Any updates would be good! Like who goes clear and who wins! ;)

Heavensgate
Apr. 9, 2011, 09:29 PM
I sent an email as well to request a refund. Very true about the poor quality and buffering. You can also try contacting the credit card company about it if you don't get a response

MHM
Apr. 9, 2011, 09:30 PM
So far Kent F., McLain, Ian Millar and Margie are in the jump off. About five left in the first round. I think Shane Sweetnam had one time fault, so he's fifth right now.

JFJ
Apr. 9, 2011, 09:32 PM
Yeah! Rothchild!! I used to look after his daddy, Artos!!! (who was second in the Invitational 1994!)

JFJ
Apr. 9, 2011, 09:32 PM
thanks for the update!!!!

findlymine
Apr. 9, 2011, 09:42 PM
Anybody knw how Aaron Vale is doing?? or taylor Mcmutry?/

DuffyAgain
Apr. 9, 2011, 09:44 PM
Taylor last to go and on course now.

DuffyAgain
Apr. 9, 2011, 09:44 PM
Just saw a couple rails down.

DuffyAgain
Apr. 9, 2011, 09:45 PM
And a couple more. :(

MHM
Apr. 9, 2011, 09:45 PM
I remember Artos! I didn't know he was this one's dad. :)

Aaron was not clear, although my feed is so bad I'm not sure how many rails he had. Taylor had 25 faults. 6 rails and one time fault.

desilu
Apr. 9, 2011, 09:46 PM
Jump off: Kent, Ian, Maclain and Margie

DuffyAgain
Apr. 9, 2011, 09:46 PM
Four in the jump-off

Kent Farrington & Uceko
Ian Miller & Star Power
McLain Ward & Rothchild
Margie Engle & Indigo

findlymine
Apr. 9, 2011, 09:48 PM
thans guys!!!!!!!!!!

MHM
Apr. 9, 2011, 09:51 PM
Of that jump off, I'm going to pick McLain as the most likely to. :)

Stoneheart Equestrian
Apr. 9, 2011, 10:00 PM
Oh now - just wait a minute - you never know how Captain Canada will do. LOL

MHM
Apr. 9, 2011, 10:04 PM
We'll see- if they ever get around to the jump off. They're really dragging it out....

MHM
Apr. 9, 2011, 10:11 PM
Kent clear in 36.? His horse jumped great- so careful behind!

Ian clear but slower- 41?

Stoneheart Equestrian
Apr. 9, 2011, 10:13 PM
Not Ian's night tonight. Couldn't see the ride but think he had a rail.

DuffyAgain
Apr. 9, 2011, 10:16 PM
UCEKO!!!!!

MHM
Apr. 9, 2011, 10:17 PM
I think Mclain had a rail.

Margie had a rail.

So Kent won, Ian second.

McLain third, Margie fourth.

Congrats to all! :)

And I'll be interested to hear if you guys get a refund.

And has anyone else noticed the feed seems perfect for the awards ceremony??

JFJ
Apr. 9, 2011, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the results!

MHM
Apr. 9, 2011, 10:27 PM
You're welcome!

Kent was also given the style award.

Kent's horse looked very soft and relaxed in the victory gallop, just like a hunter- until he put in one little buck. :lol:

Lori T
Apr. 10, 2011, 10:03 AM
I went and watched with my daughter and her boyfriend. Have tried to go almost every year since it started in the 1970's!
Anyhow, just some comments/observations:
1) Really disappointed in the announcer, who spent so much time getting the sections to cheer their horse (they had a contest, they would pick random sections to cheer really loud. Whichever section had the winning ride, won $100 gift card to a jeweler), that half the time there was no description of the horse...breed, sex, etc! Everyone in our section was complaining that they wanted to know more about the horse. I personally wish they would include the horse bio along with the rider in the program, especially their breed.
2)Really surprised at the number of horses that were retired.
3) Watching the old clips of Gene Mische, my daughter commented on how much fuller the stands looked...and I think she is correct. I remember that there was a time that if you didn't order your tickets in advanced, you were stuck with really lousy seats. This year, we ordered our tickets the night before and had really good seats...and there were a lot of seats that were empty.
4) Saw some really, really bad riding. Really bad. How did they make it this far?
5)Really happy with the results, though I wish Ian or Margie had won. Glad that Mclain did not win.
6) This is for the woman who sat in front of me: PLEASE, do not wear thong underwear under leggings that expose your fat a** every time you stand up...I mean, come on, did you not notice that half (and I am not exagerating) of your butt was exposed?

dags
Apr. 10, 2011, 10:20 AM
Since their downloadable videos are WMVs and look like they were encoded about 5 years ago, I'm not particularly surprised they failed at a true streaming video. Did they really use silverlight? Egads.

Tegan
Apr. 10, 2011, 10:51 AM
I went and watched with my daughter and her boyfriend. Have tried to go almost every year since it started in the 1970's!
Anyhow, just some comments/observations:
1) Really disappointed in the announcer, who spent so much time getting the sections to cheer their horse (they had a contest, they would pick random sections to cheer really loud. Whichever section had the winning ride, won $100 gift card to a jeweler), that half the time there was no description of the horse...breed, sex, etc! Everyone in our section was complaining that they wanted to know more about the horse. I personally wish they would include the horse bio along with the rider in the program, especially their breed.
2)Really surprised at the number of horses that were retired.
3) Watching the old clips of Gene Mische, my daughter commented on how much fuller the stands looked...and I think she is correct. I remember that there was a time that if you didn't order your tickets in advanced, you were stuck with really lousy seats. This year, we ordered our tickets the night before and had really good seats...and there were a lot of seats that were empty.
4) Saw some really, really bad riding. Really bad. How did they make it this far?
5)Really happy with the results, though I wish Ian or Margie had won. Glad that Mclain did not win.
6) This is for the woman who sat in front of me: PLEASE, do not wear thong underwear under leggings that expose your fat a** every time you stand up...I mean, come on, did you not notice that half (and I am not exagerating) of your butt was exposed?

I agree. I was appalled the first few rounds when they timed the cheering and the buzzer wrong, so that crowds were shrieking as the poor riders tried to start their course.

I also was shocked at how bad all of the Jaynes were. The first thoroughbred by no means had the scope or power to be competing at that level. I have some pictures of him barely able to contort himself to avoid crashing.
I can't believe Charlie Jayne used to be an eq rider, because he was all over the place. I thought he was going to fling himself off the horse.
And then the last girl got 40 faults in her round. I think when you knock over 10 fences, that should be a sign you're quite overfaced.

I was definitely impressed with Kent Farrington's jump off. He was in it to win, and no one else had a chance after that.

MHM
Apr. 10, 2011, 11:09 AM
And then the last girl got 40 faults in her round. I think when you knock over 10 fences, that should be a sign you're quite overfaced.

It was announced that she had 25 faults. Which is plenty, but nowhere near 40.

As for the quality of the competition, if they wanted to have a class with 30 in it to make it a viable spectator event, they had to take the 30 who entered. If they had more than 30 entries, they could use some sort of qualifying criteria. If they didn't have more than 30 entries, they had to take what they could get.

I do remember more people in the stands in past years, but that was also when many people attended the two weeks of Tampa shows that led up to the class, so there were a lot more horse people on hand who were keen to attend.

Platinum Equestrian
Apr. 10, 2011, 11:59 AM
I think the stands were emptier than last year...

I agree the announcer was horrible... Who came up with idea about cheering by section? This isn't hockey or Nascar ...

The poor rider from GBR basically ended up retiring because of the cheering contest since they didn't announce her cheer section until her third fence... :no: As soon as the crowd started you could see the disconnect ... and they ended up retiring.

They also need to learn to start on time. 7:30 should mean 7:30 - not 8:30. The little indians were restless in the seats around us...

Kent's grey was a lovely scopey ride. Made it look quite easy.

Great to see Ian riding, his horse made it look effortless... who doesn't love Captain Canada?

Shane Sweetnam also had a nice ride without knockdowns and only a time fault... I could be partial though since he's Irish. ;)

... and what I wouldn't give to ride Ashlee Bond's grey... drool...

holaamigoalter
Apr. 10, 2011, 04:40 PM

Awww, why don't you like Mclain? He's so lovely to watch.

Though Kent certainly is almost equally as lovely.

karlymacrae
Apr. 10, 2011, 04:56 PM

http://www.petsuppliesnow.com/product_images/e/497/zoo_med_can_o_worms_1point2oz__24481_zoom.jpg

Platinum Equestrian
Apr. 10, 2011, 05:34 PM
http://www.petsuppliesnow.com/product_images/e/497/zoo_med_can_o_worms_1point2oz__24481_zoom.jpg

:lol:

He is a beautiful rider...

Lori T
Apr. 10, 2011, 07:19 PM

Though Kent certainly is almost equally as lovely.

Read Hot Blood.
I know, he cannot be held responsible for what his dad did, but I really just don't trust him.

holaamigoalter
Apr. 10, 2011, 07:37 PM
Read Hot Blood.
I know, he cannot be held responsible for what his dad did, but I really just don't trust him.

I've read Hot Blood. I found it to be very one-sided.

You don't have to trust him. Unless you are doing business with him, you should wish him well and the utmost health and happiness for his horses, him, and his team.

Lori T
Apr. 10, 2011, 07:46 PM
I've read Hot Blood. I found it to be very one-sided.

You don't have to trust him. Unless you are doing business with him, you should wish him well and the utmost health and happiness for his horses, him, and his team.

What can possibly be one-sided about killing horses for insurance money? I remember when Barney broke the legs of that horse in Ocala..it was in the news here in Orlando. I had idolized Barney up until then. I never said I wished anything bad to happen to Mclain, I am just happy he didn't win. My 2 favorites were in the jump off (Ian and Margie), and I am very happy for Kent, he truely deserved to win. But before kids start idolizing Mclain, I wish they knew the truth about his family. I really don't think that the apple falls far from the tree. Just my own personal opinion.

RyuEquestrian
Apr. 10, 2011, 08:19 PM
Some photos (complete with bloodlines and % of TB blood) that I took at the event can be found on our fan page (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=305184&id=52119554381&saved#!/SakuraHillFarm).

supershorty628
Apr. 10, 2011, 08:37 PM
Great pictures, thanks for sharing!! Love the bloodline/TB analysis too - thanks for including that!

I just love Star Power, such an adorable horse.

ETA: The pictures of Charlie Jayne on a chestnut are not Athena - she's bay - is it Urbanus? I don't know who else he rode..

RyuEquestrian
Apr. 10, 2011, 08:43 PM
Great pictures, thanks for sharing!! Love the bloodline/TB analysis too - thanks for including that!

I just love Star Power, such an adorable horse.

ETA: The pictures of Charlie Jayne on a chestnut are not Athena - she's bay - is it Urbanus? I don't know who else he rode..

Must be, for some reason my order of go says Athena, but they must have screwed up. Thanks for catching that.

Lori T
Apr. 10, 2011, 10:09 PM
Great photos and I appreciate the bloodlines. As an eventer, I love my Thoroughbreds! The pictures of Charlie Jayner...wow, up close like that reinforces my reactions to watching him last night.

vineyridge
Apr. 11, 2011, 10:47 AM
Where is the breeding analysis? I'm not facebook literate, and couldn't find it. You know I would be very interested. :)

Direct link, please.

I also cannot find a link this morning to the results.

Darkwave
Apr. 11, 2011, 12:04 PM
Anyone know if video is up anywhere? I paid the $50, but was never able to see the class. And I don't see it archived anywhere on the site.

Emailed them to complain, never got a response. I'm going to give them a second chance, and then place a stop payment with my credit card company.

MHM
Apr. 11, 2011, 01:15 PM
I also cannot find a link this morning to the results.

Press release with results:
http://phelpsmediagroup.com/viewarticle.php?id=5751

DuffyAgain
Apr. 12, 2011, 08:45 AM
Some photos (complete with bloodlines and % of TB blood) that I took at the event can be found on our fan page (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=305184&id=52119554381&saved#!/SakuraHillFarm).

WOW :eek:- Great pics and information! Thank you so much for sharing!! :):yes:

RyuEquestrian
Apr. 12, 2011, 02:56 PM
WOW :eek:- Great pics and information! Thank you so much for sharing!! :):yes:

My pleasure!

MHM
Apr. 12, 2011, 03:05 PM

When I click on the link, the page is fuzzy and the pictures don't finish loading. What am I doing wrong? :confused:

I'm not exactly a Facebook fanatic. :lol:

Pinto WB
Apr. 12, 2011, 03:05 PM
so has anyone heard back from Shownet about a refund? A repeat broadcast? Or even an apology??

Stoneheart Equestrian
Apr. 12, 2011, 08:29 PM
I received an email from ShowNet today stating the following:

ShowNet did not advertise that we were streaming the Invitational on a public level. We sent out a message to our members only where we would be streaming on a trial basis only. We made a point of using this event as a trial for our members only. We will continue to test our streaming product, until we feel it is ready for public use. Until that time, pour streams are available to our members only, and on a trial basis.

I am pleased with the explanation and I understand and appreciate that this broadcast was not meant for anyone other than existing members.

I am also pleased with the results of my request and will give ShowNet time to work out the kinks and then re-register at a later date.

I did mention to them that once they get things running smoothly that there will probably be alot of people interested in the service.

Kudos to them for addressing my concerns and satisfying an unhappy customer.

Pinto WB
Apr. 12, 2011, 09:34 PM
Stoneheart - yes and no...Stadium Jumping posted a link on their home page advertising that Shownet was streaming the class...and I know a lot of people who paid the $50 membership fee just for this class...not acceptable service in my book.

MHM
Apr. 12, 2011, 11:01 PM
Funny, I don't remember getting any email from Shownet regarding a video feed of the class, and I've been a member for months.

I may have to go back and double check my email.

JustJump
Apr. 13, 2011, 11:24 AM
It was announced that she had 25 faults. Which is plenty, but nowhere near 40.

As for the quality of the competition, if they wanted to have a class with 30 in it to make it a viable spectator event, they had to take the 30 who entered. If they had more than 30 entries, they could use some sort of qualifying criteria. If they didn't have more than 30 entries, they had to take what they could get.

I do remember more people in the stands in past years, but that was also when many people attended the two weeks of Tampa shows that led up to the class, so there were a lot more horse people on hand who were keen to attend.

Those 30 slots used to be coveted and fiercely contested, with the list checked many times during circuit.

The American Invitational, the Gold Cup, and the Jumping Derby formed the "triple crown" of showjumping.

But that was back in the day, and those days are done, IMO.