PDA

View Full Version : Riverchase Hunter Show in Aldie VA

yellowbritches
Apr. 4, 2011, 12:17 PM
Has anyone been to any of these? Considering taking a horse I want to try getting going in the hunter world (former eventer) there instead of my original plan of Swan Lake (decided spending mucho bucks on our first attempt at a rated show would be silly), but not wild about going if it isn't a halfway decent show with decent jumps etc. Thoughts?

Mayaty02
Apr. 4, 2011, 01:10 PM
the ring is smallish and the jumps pretty plain. Foxchase is nice, the jumps are all brown so not too flashy, plus I don't love that the ring is right on the main road, especially for a green horse.

Have to plug Sunny's Corner at Takaro Farm in Middleburg, nice big ring, great footing, lots of colorful jumps and fill. The schooling area isn't great - it's in a field - but its well run show.

yellowbritches
Apr. 4, 2011, 01:27 PM
Well, bummer. Not what I was wanting to here.

The horse is only "green" in respects that he has never done a hunter round. He competed through preliminary in eventing, but he's fed up doing dressage and needs a new career. I really thought I would take him to Swan Lake, but between my potential for stupidity in the hunter ring (I canter around a hunter course about once every 2 or 3 years :lol:) and the fact that his last outing was a long format three day in October, my money might be better spent doing something less expensive to get our feet wet/knock the winter rust off.

I LOVE the Foxchase venue (done a few jumper shows there) and that would be my ideal venue. However, the 16th is the only weekend without an event and Foxchase is this weekend...unless I blow all our riders off on Sat, commandeer a truck and trailer and go.

Any suggestions for halfway decent shows with at least a 3' (preferably 3'3") division within a hour or so drive of Frederick MD on the 16th or 17th?

Mayaty02
Apr. 4, 2011, 01:31 PM
Well, bummer. Not what I was wanting to here.

The horse is only "green" in respects that he has never done a hunter round. He competed through preliminary in eventing, but he's fed up doing dressage and needs a new career. I really thought I would take him to Swan Lake, but between my potential for stupidity in the hunter ring (I canter around a hunter course about once every 2 or 3 years :lol:) and the fact that his last outing was a long format three day in October, my money might be better spent doing something less expensive to get our feet wet/knock the winter rust off.

I LOVE the Foxchase venue (done a few jumper shows there) and that would be my ideal venue. However, the 16th is the only weekend without an event and Foxchase is this weekend...unless I blow all our riders off on Sat, commandeer a truck and trailer and go.

Any suggestions for halfway decent shows with at least a 3' (preferably 3'3") division within a hour or so drive of Frederick MD on the 16th or 17th?

Well the Sunny's Corner show at Takaro Farm is on April 16th so you'd be in luck. They have a Working Hunter division at 3 ft. Here is the website, they haven't updated it for the spring/summer shows yet but the next show is the 16th, that I know for a fact. http://www.sunnyscorner.net/

yellowbritches
Apr. 4, 2011, 01:54 PM
OK. Cool. Yes, I went to their site when you mentioned it, and saw no updated list. Maybe I'll shoot them an email. Thanks for the info!

tarheelmd07
Apr. 4, 2011, 02:17 PM
The HCHSA show at McDonogh should have hunters to 3' (maybe 3'3"...can't remember) - nice rings and very nice jumps...it's over near Owings Mills, so would be probably 1-1.5hrs from you

Rockfish
Apr. 4, 2011, 02:20 PM
You're horse should be fine there-nothing particularly spooky there, esp if the horse has done eventing. My friend and I swap of announcing for their shows there. They just got some new jumps in that they debuted at their past jumper show. Footing is a sand rubber mix. I wouldn't call the ring too small-you can get a good 6 stride line in there and have plenty of turn room at the ends-have even seen large 15+pleasure classes have no trouble in there. Food truck is good, they have actual bathrooms in the barns (there are two historic ones on the property which are gorgeous btw). It's a very lovely venue, with a bunch of shade trees to stand under-definately a place I don't mind working at for 8+ hours.

Their next Hunter show is the 16th.

Janet
Apr. 4, 2011, 02:45 PM
Well the Sunny's Corner show at Takaro Farm is on April 16th so you'd be in luck. They have a Working Hunter division at 3 ft. Here is the website, they haven't updated it for the spring/summer shows yet but the next show is the 16th, that I know for a fact. http://www.sunnyscorner.net/
It is also shown for April 16 on the VHSA Associate calendar

Keep1Belle
Apr. 4, 2011, 09:44 PM
Swan lake has nice schooling shows in addition to their rated show. maybe that would be an option. The have a schooling show every month. hunters go on Sunday.

SidesaddleRider
Apr. 4, 2011, 09:54 PM
Unless River Chase has replaced the footing in the main show ring, you won't see me there again. It was ROCK HARD packed when I was there last year, and I could barely get my horse to move on it to hack around, let alone jump well.

Go to Sunny's Corner if that is the only weekend you can do it.

Everythingbutwings
Apr. 5, 2011, 08:20 AM
Sandstone Farm (Millwood, just off of Rt 50) has a jumper show on Sunday 4/16.

We noticed that River Chase is doing a jumper series this season as well as hunter shows. Between them, Sandstone, Union Ridge and Fox Chase (with Fox Chase adding two more shows) there looks to be a good choice in jumpers around here this summer. :)

We have greatly enjoyed Sandstone and Fox Chase jumpers. Union Ridge had nice shows late in the season last summer. We have noticed that UR is really getting word out this season, hopefully there will be a good turnout.

yellowbritches
Apr. 5, 2011, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking into the one at McDonogh School...sounds promising. Does anyone know if there is a prizelist online? Only one I can find is for the BCHSA show the following weekend.

Still have some people trying to convince me to take him to Swan Lake that weekend. We'll see. It sucks (in some ways) that our schedules are so packed with events for everyone else...it's hard to find good shows for this guy that are on the rare weekend we aren't at events.

HunterKatie
Apr. 6, 2011, 09:03 AM
Knowing both Sunny's Corner as well as McDonough, you will be better off at McDonough. As Sunny's Corner is a cute place, the jumps are frequently built smaller than the division standards, and the schooling area is just a large field with 3 jumps. The ring is bigger than Riverchase, but McDonough's ring is bigger and has nicer jumps. Nothing against Sunny's Corner, I like Fay and bring kids to her shows all the time, but for anything above 2'6, it is not my first choice. Good luck wherever you choose to go!

yellowbritches
Apr. 6, 2011, 11:44 AM
Knowing both Sunny's Corner as well as McDonough, you will be better off at McDonough. As Sunny's Corner is a cute place, the jumps are frequently built smaller than the division standards, and the schooling area is just a large field with 3 jumps. The ring is bigger than Riverchase, but McDonough's ring is bigger and has nicer jumps. Nothing against Sunny's Corner, I like Fay and bring kids to her shows all the time, but for anything above 2'6, it is not my first choice. Good luck wherever you choose to go!
Thanks, I appreciate it that! If this were a green horse just getting going in life, I would be less concerned about where he went and just more concerned that he went SOMEWHERE, but considering the career he is moving out of and who he is as an individual, I truly need a decent venue with decent jumps that will be built at least close to height and will be enough of a "jump" that he'll be reasonably impressed.

Now if I could only find a prizelist for McDonogh!

SidesaddleRider
Apr. 6, 2011, 01:37 PM
yellowbritches, I could be wrong, but I do not think there is a show at McDonogh on the 16th, but rather on Apr 23. http://www.horseshowing.com/show_upload/166/2.pdf

However, there is a BCHSA show at St. Timothy's School in Stevenson, MD on the 16th-17th weekend though: http://bchsa.org/pdf/st_tim_pl.pdf

yellowbritches
Apr. 7, 2011, 07:21 AM
It's on the HCHSA schedule-http://www.hchsa.net/2011ShowSchedule.htm- though, I don't know if it's true or not. Doesn't help when emailed for a prizelist, the email got kicked back to me.

We'll see. Yesterday when I was jumping him he seemed to be telling me he rather be a jumper, now. He's almost as schizophrenic about what he wants to do with his life as I am about selling him or not! :lol: