PDA

View Full Version : Aiken Spring show-pet friendly hotels nr. showgrounds?

Limerick
Apr. 4, 2011, 11:06 AM
Hi, I had located a list of hotels near the showgrounds in Aiken on the PSJshows website. Now I can't find it!! I would love some recommendations for clean, dog friendly hotels near Highfields.

Thanks so much!

gasrgoose
Apr. 4, 2011, 11:34 AM
Holiday Inn Express. Aiken, SC on Whiskey Road is where our trainers always stay with there dogs

pds
Apr. 4, 2011, 11:52 AM
I think the Holiday Inn Express on Whiskey rd. has changed names and is a diff. hotel now.

There is a Howard Johnsons on Whiskey Rd. that is pet friendly and right in the middle of restaurants.

Link: http://www.hojo.com/HowardJohnson/control/Booking/property_info?propertyId=01734

You want to stay at a hotel in South Aiken (Whiskey rd.) the ones on the other end of town (HWY 1 - Richland Ave.) are not so nice nor is the area.

MHM
Apr. 4, 2011, 12:13 PM
Hotel Aiken in the middle of town allows dogs (or used to), but only in certain rooms, so you have to tell them ahead of time. It's walking distance to restaurants, etc.

PineTreeFarm
Apr. 4, 2011, 12:37 PM
Hotel Aiken in the middle of town allows dogs (or used to), but only in certain rooms, so you have to tell them ahead of time. It's walking distance to restaurants, etc.

Hotel Aiken is very interesting but keep in mind there is no parking.You have to use public spots. Also the elevator only runs with an attendant and at certain times of the day so if you have anything heavy to carry it can be a problem.
The hotel bar has live entertainment which is very cool but it's also very noisy if your room is above the bar.
Yes, it is near lots of restaurants.

Most of the motels allow dogs but some require a 'pet deposit' and 1 or 2 have a pet size limitation.
I'm not aware of any of the Bed and Breakfasts that take dogs.

Very few rooms available till after the Masters is over so I hope the OP is looking for a room the 3rd or 4th week of April.

mroades
Apr. 4, 2011, 12:39 PM
The old HI Express is now the Aiken Inn.
They still let you bring your dog.

Limerick
Apr. 4, 2011, 01:08 PM
The choices seem quite limited. I may have to consider putting them in a kennel for the weekend. What are the nicer hotels very close to the showgrounds? I've read online that the Holiday Inn express isn't a new hotel but a renovated, older one and not very nice. I'd love to get more opinions.

And it is for the show that ends on Easter.

Thanks so much!

MHM
Apr. 4, 2011, 01:17 PM
Hotel Aiken is very interesting but keep in mind there is no parking.You have to use public spots.

Huh? When I stayed there with dogs, there was parking right in front of my room. I think they only allow dogs in the section adjacent to the original building, where you can park right at your door.

PineTreeFarm
Apr. 4, 2011, 07:45 PM
Huh? When I stayed there with dogs, there was parking right in front of my room. I think they only allow dogs in the section adjacent to the original building, where you can park right at your door.

HUH yourself LMAO.
Sorry, no hotel parking . YOU.PARK.ON.THE.STREET. Yes, you can get lucky and get a nearby spot.
From the website:
"
Parking

Due to our downtown location, Hotel Aiken does not have private hotel parking. Parking for hotel guests is public parking and therefore first come, first serve. Downtown parking
parking is free and there are no regulations."

Perhaps you are thinking of a different hotel? Or perhaps ( shudder) you stayed in the Courtyard (motel) area?

MHM
Apr. 4, 2011, 08:31 PM
Perhaps you are thinking of a different hotel? Or perhaps ( shudder) you stayed in the Courtyard (motel) area?

It was definitely the Hotel Aiken, and I was in the building where dogs were allowed, next to the original building. Is that the courtyard? If so, it was fine with me, since I could park right by my door, which made it very easy to get in and out with the dogs.

mroades
Apr. 4, 2011, 09:28 PM
The only "nice" hotel in aiken is the Wilcox...$$$$

Otherwise, I think the Sleep Inn allows dogs and it is clean.
The Quality in allows dogs,,,but NOT clean or ok in any fashion
The old HI Express is just ok

Oddjob
Apr. 5, 2011, 02:10 AM
MNH is correct. The Hotel Aiken has 2 parts. The Main Hotel that you are talking about the courtyard hotel that MNH is talking about. You can part right in front of your room at the courtyard hotel rooms.

PineTreeFarm
Apr. 5, 2011, 08:21 AM
It was definitely the Hotel Aiken, and I was in the building where dogs were allowed, next to the original building. Is that the courtyard? If so, it was fine with me, since I could park right by my door, which made it very easy to get in and out with the dogs.

Yuck, I wouldn't stay in that part on a bet.
The reason I questioned your statement was the Hotel has rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors so parking outside your Hotel room would be gravity defying.

For the OP. Simple go to PSJ's website and download a prizelist. It will list suggested hotels. Or better yet go to their FB site and ask your question.

pds
Apr. 5, 2011, 08:47 AM
Annie's Inn a B & B on Hwy 78 is really nice. I have friends that have stayed there several times and loved it. They have stalls and turnout on grounds if needed. Maybe 10 min. from Highfields show grounds.
http://www.discoversouthcarolina.com/products/1800

The Wilcox is very, very pricey but they are also very pet friendly and has a great restaurant. Even if you don't stay there I would recommend having drinks and dinner there one night. Parking can also be a problem here on certain nights.

Another place that is pet friendly that not too many know about is The Guest House at Houndlake. Mybe 10 min. from show grounds.
http://www.discoversouthcarolina.com/products/2403

MHM
Apr. 5, 2011, 09:57 AM
The Wilcox is very, very pricey but they are also very pet friendly and has a great restaurant. Even if you don't stay there I would recommend having drinks and dinner there one night.

I had dinner there not long ago- great food, lovely setting. :yes:

Summit Springs Farm
Apr. 5, 2011, 11:07 AM
We stayed at the Hotel Aiken, :eek: not again.

We also stayed at HI Express not quiet as :eek: but still no.:no:

This time I have heard you to get back on the hwy but there is a nice (new) hotel off the next exit, just need to find out exactly where and what hotel!

Limerick
Apr. 5, 2011, 03:24 PM
Annie's Inn a B & B on Hwy 78 is really nice. I have friends that have stayed there several times and loved it. They have stalls and turnout on grounds if needed. Maybe 10 min. from Highfields show grounds.
http://www.discoversouthcarolina.com/products/1800

The Wilcox is very, very pricey but they are also very pet friendly and has a great restaurant. Even if you don't stay there I would recommend having drinks and dinner there one night. Parking can also be a problem here on certain nights.

Another place that is pet friendly that not too many know about is The Guest House at Houndlake. Mybe 10 min. from show grounds.
http://www.discoversouthcarolina.com/products/2403
Thanks so much-very useful. :)

pds
Apr. 5, 2011, 04:39 PM
Glad I could help. Good luck at the show.
Was going myself but some unexpected expenses have changed that. Will be there to watch some friends ride and watch the grand prixs.

FreshAir
Apr. 8, 2011, 06:54 PM
We stayed there - for one night. It was gross. They feed you breakfast in the morning in the bar room that still stinks from the night before. Stick to the chains.