PDA

View Full Version : Judging Clinic

pm59
Apr. 4, 2011, 08:03 AM
My daughter is attending a judging clinic on Wednesday with a judge from our area who I HIGHLY respect. I plan to audit this clinic.
We have never attended a judging clinic and there are no details listed as far as protocol on the site where the times and dates are listed. My question is: am I correct in assuming that my daughter should be turned out as if she were entering the show ring? Properly dressed with pony sparkling and braids?
Any suggestions appreciated!!

supershorty628
Apr. 4, 2011, 08:57 AM
There's no harm in calling and asking! I was in a judging clinic and did not braid, but otherwise wore show clothes and used show tack.

alliekat
Apr. 4, 2011, 08:57 AM
My daughter has attended some of these clinics through the 4-H Saddle Club she is a member of. It was not required the braid but I think it is a great way for your daughter to show respect for a judge you both admire.I also think it is a great opportunity for your daughter to braid her pony as most kids don't get a chance to braid them for rated shows. My daughter really enjoys these clinic and gave give her a chance to see and understand what some judges are looking for and why. Have fun :)
ETA I also like braiding when I can because it is a great time for pictures. You never know when you will get the perfect picture and will be glad the pony is poilshed :)

pm59
Apr. 4, 2011, 09:03 AM
There's no harm in calling and asking! I was in a judging clinic and did not braid, but otherwise wore show clothes and used show tack.

I do have a call into the venue that is holding the clinic, so hopefully they will get back to me. I personally use any opportunity to braid so I can practice LOL the more practice the better in my case, trust me!

netg
Apr. 4, 2011, 01:16 PM
I've definitely found this varies widely depending on the group, so I think the call in is the way to go!

Judging clinics for 4-H in our area you want to look neat and tidy but definitely not in show getup most of the time... but sometimes they want everything as fancy as possible.

Have fun with it, and just remember that for this purpose they are *supposed* to point out the negatives, too, so it's not intended as insults, but rather take it as advice to work on. Sometimes it can be hard to listen to negatives which don't offer ways to fix them!