PDA

View Full Version : Armadillo deterrant needed!!!

Wraper2
Apr. 4, 2011, 12:14 AM
I have a flower garden that is mulched heavily with compost made with horse poop (keeping it horse related!). Apparently all the juicy huge worms are very attractive to a certain possum on the half shell.

I wonder if moth balls would work to keep him out of the garden? I live next to 900 acres of woods, and feed local deer (and possums, coons and dillos) so I know that killing or trapping is gonna be an ongoing thing if I tried it so would just like to deter them from this one area.

BTW.... feeding them in a specified area keeps the little marauders form going after my parrots. (We breed them and have 100 large parrots that coons can and will kill for fun) Trying to choose my battles wisely.

JanM
Apr. 4, 2011, 07:46 AM
Armadillos love grubbs and nothing will stop them from going after them. The only solution is trap and kill. I hate to say this, but it's true.

Sipsi
Apr. 4, 2011, 08:12 AM
The ONLY solution is to get rid of the juicy grubs in your yard.

We also have armadillos that love to come inside our picket fence and have put down 1' x 1' stepping stones on the outside so they can't dig under.

I would also stop feeding the wildlife. Put up an electric strand on your parrot cages or put hardware cloth on the outside of the cages to prevent those darn raccoons from getting your parrots. Feeding critters like opossums and raccoons (and skunks) just lends itself to more issues that can become potentially dangerous.

Opus1
Apr. 4, 2011, 04:29 PM
Have you tried predator urine?

Also, and I hate to ask this, but do you have a large yard dog? For whatever reason, we've never had problems with armadillos digging up anything in the yard because the dogs, uh, dispose of them for us. And that's been all of them, from the Rotties, to the Chow-Rottie cross to our current lab. And about half of them were pretty good at catching moles, too.

We have a fenced in yard, but that only does so much good. If they want in, they're coming in.

Zarafia
Apr. 4, 2011, 04:35 PM
I've heard that jack russells work well.

PRS
Apr. 4, 2011, 06:14 PM
I've heard that jack russells work well.

A friend had a 1/2 golden retriever and 1/2 rottie that worked very well. That dog could kill an armadillo with one bite. She was quick too. Her record was four in a single night. Unfortunately she felt the need to bring them home to display them. :dead:

saddleup
Apr. 4, 2011, 07:34 PM
Did anyone else read the title as 'armadillo deodorant needed' and wonder why anyone would need that?

Sigh. I'm having a bad day.