View Full Version : Critique my EQ please!

Apr. 4, 2011, 12:40 AM

^^ link to all the photos. the bay horse is my second IHSA show and the palomino is school at home. Keep in mind i just started riding again in january so i'm still out of shape and getting strong again! thanks so much...every little bit helps as I only get to ride 2-3x a week at the most. for now ;)

tidy rabbit
Apr. 4, 2011, 08:20 AM
You look like you're doing fine for only riding a 2 or 3 times a week. :) I envy your ability to get your heels so far down.

Apr. 4, 2011, 09:37 AM
Was the bay horse quick in the air?

I ask b/c it looks as if you're bracing yourself against him over fences. Your back is roached and it looks like that is b/c you are trying to "catch up" plus you appear to be pulling back a bit even over the one fence.

Over this size of jump; you don't need a huge release but your shoulder should not be over your hands.

Apr. 4, 2011, 11:36 AM
yes the bay horse was very quick over the fences....she kept calling to all her friends and would rush down the lines heading towards home. it was also a longer spot

Apr. 4, 2011, 12:05 PM
I agree, I think you eq looks good overall, but I would work on a more generous release.

Apr. 9, 2011, 12:14 AM
instead of a short release, should i use a crest release? how much farther up the neck should i place my hands?? im going to tie a ribbon in my horse's hair next time I jump to practice, practice, practice

Apr. 9, 2011, 07:26 PM
Eyes UP! My trainer likes to say "If you're looking at the ground, you're going to end up there!"

Thumbs UP! I'm seeing some piano hands.

Other than that you look great!

Apr. 9, 2011, 08:37 PM
I have the same problem as you do....try tieing a ribbon in the horse's hair as i said above! it really does help.

Apr. 9, 2011, 09:28 PM
You have a lovely leg, and overall I think your eq looks very good, especially considering that you've only been back in the tack for a few months. I agree with the person above who commented on looking up and forward, as it looks like you're looking down in many of the pictures. In a few photos, it also looks like you may be collapsing in your core just a bit, instead of stretching up through your spine. But that could just be a conditioning issue. Overall, nice job!

Apr. 13, 2011, 04:46 PM
keep you eye level up. keep yor thumbs up. arch your back a bit more your a little too rounded. Keep more contact with the horses face. have a bigger release also. legs and heels look great! :]

Apr. 13, 2011, 05:32 PM
I agree with what everyone has said here. The thing I notice most is that the bay (can't say much about the palomino) seems a bit strung out. I would say work on contact with the mouth a lot, as you see there is one photo where you have absolutely no contact, and others where it appears the mare is just pulling you along for the ride. This could be causing some issues with your release position, causing you to have to brace a bit so you don't get behind.

Overall I think you look very good. You look like you've got a pretty secure seat/leg, and know what you are doing.

Looking forward to updated pictures :)