PDA

View Full Version : On tyte magnetic stirrups?

StrawberryFields
Apr. 4, 2011, 12:24 AM
Does anyone on here use them? What about in the equitation ring? Everyone is raving about them!

karlymacrae
Apr. 4, 2011, 06:06 AM
I don't like the idea of them. Never ridden in a pair though.

supershorty628
Apr. 4, 2011, 10:09 AM
I've never ridden in them, but I know a bunch of people who use them in the big jumpers. I don't think they're appropriate for the equitation ring -- if it's that hard to keep one's stirrups over fences that height, the leg and foundation need to be revisited...

StrawberryFields
Apr. 4, 2011, 11:39 AM
yeah i was thinking they were most suited to jumpers/eventing rather than equitation. although, i have heard of people using them for medical reasons. they're not just used to keep the foot in the stirrup, though. correct? aren't they also used to keep your foot in the same position in the iron? might be useful for the bigger equitation classes. or if you have a horse doing the hunters with a huge jump?

supershorty628
Apr. 4, 2011, 11:43 AM
I haven't heard about the medical reasons for the magnetic stirrups (I have for the stirrups that are flexible), I suppose it's a possibility...my understanding of the magnetic stirrups is that they stay on your foot so that in the event that you would lose the stirrup otherwise, it is still there. I don't think the magnetic pull is so strong that it would not disconnect if you were, say, falling off.

I don't think they're appropriate for the equitation for a number of reasons; one, there's no need for gimmicks like that (like I said before, if the leg and foot position cannot be maintained at 3'6, there's something wrong with the foundation); two, I think it would be a bit cheap to use something like that to artificially better your position.

Rel6
Apr. 4, 2011, 11:49 AM
I sorta of think their only place they should be is as a safety measure in cross country, and as an aid to handicapped riders.

I understand what people say about using it in huge Grand Prixs, but I think a lot of young riders look to top professionals as role models. I know as a kid if I had found out that Mclain Ward's stirrups were magnetized onto his feet I'd feel a little cheated :/ (I don't think he uses them, I just used him as an example!)

As for eq? Definitely not! And honestly I don't jumpers or hunters either.

Sonoma City
Apr. 4, 2011, 12:00 PM
Question...how do you get them off your foot? Do you have to reach down and pull them apart from your boot? I have a funny picture in my head of this :P

MoonLadyIsis
Apr. 4, 2011, 06:43 PM
I sorta of think their only place they should be is as a safety measure in cross country, and as an aid to handicapped riders.

I understand what people say about using it in huge Grand Prixs, but I think a lot of young riders look to top professionals as role models. I know as a kid if I had found out that Mclain Ward's stirrups were magnetized onto his feet I'd feel a little cheated :/ (I don't think he uses them, I just used him as an example!)

Actually I think Mclain does use them ironically..

Question...how do you get them off your foot? Do you have to reach down and pull them apart from your boot? I have a funny picture in my head of this :P

The girl I know who had them did have to pull the iron off her boot. Although she was still getting used to them the last time I saw her...

Rel6
Apr. 4, 2011, 06:48 PM
Actually I think Mclain does use them ironically..

Just looked it up...yes he does. :/

I can't help but feel like its cheating a little.

ctab
Apr. 4, 2011, 06:57 PM
The thought of me being in mid air with my boot STUCK to my stirrup as horse and I part company totally FREAKS me out.
I can remember two times I came off and as I was going off I had time to think of my foot that was still in the stirrup and shaking/kicking my foot free. The last time it stuck a millisecond too long & I thought I was going to be dragged back to the barn. I bought break away stirrups for that reason.
If you need to have something make your foot stick in the stirrup at any level you need to ride more without stirrups. Period. And that include plenty of BNT/GP riders who, while they may make it around those big fences, fling their lower legs behind on the horses ribs in mid air. Awful! What the hell is the reason for that?
I can see the reason for Vet Wrap around the stirrup going CC. Keeps it sticky as you go through the water obstacles. But should you fall does not keep your foot locked in one place.
These things are just like that contraption that is sold for dressage. The seat belt that keeps you in the saddle.
Ridiculous! For lazy people don't think they need to improve.
Not to mention looks about as safe as tying the stirrups to the girth with twine. I know its done but so unsafe & it is cheating, which is why it is illegal in shows.
Can you imagaine a child with these things on? There is not much weight to a 6 year old to pull the boot away from the stirrups.

MoonLadyIsis
Apr. 4, 2011, 08:48 PM
the supposedly come in two different magnet strengths but I still wouldn't trust it. I, too, think of it as cheating. It reminds me of that video of the little girl doing barrel racing and they tied her feet to the stirrups. (scary video)

karlymacrae
Apr. 4, 2011, 09:05 PM
In Mclain's situation (and a lot of other BNRs) they're probably sponsored by ontyte and thats why they use them.

StrawberryFields
Apr. 5, 2011, 12:09 AM
i don't think that it would hold your foot in the stirrup to the point of being dragged.:eek: I have a hard time believing they could sell that sort of gadget if that was even remotely a problem. It's not like its super glued on the bottom of the stirrup! I think mcclain is probably sponsered by them...as mentioned earlier

comingback
Apr. 5, 2011, 04:01 PM
Dover's website has a video that shows some of the logistics of using it (along with the plugs from the pros as well :winkgrin: )

http://www.doversaddlery.com/article.asp?ai=375

fearless_intheirons
Apr. 6, 2011, 12:49 AM
After the video I see them feeling like you have no stirrups because they aren't independent of your foot.

I want 'em.