PDA

View Full Version : Most competitive zone?

FAHN
Apr. 3, 2011, 10:07 PM
So i was thinking about zones and stuff, in your opinion what is the most competitive?

War Admiral
Apr. 3, 2011, 10:20 PM
Funnily enough I was thinking about this just the other day. In my day (1970s) it would have been 2, 1, and whichever one Virginia is in (sorry ladies, too lazy to look it up! :). For nowadays, I have no basis for judgment b/c I just don't get out enough yet (baby greenie). But I was thinking that Zone 10 would have to be right up there nowadays.

HunterRider992
Apr. 3, 2011, 10:27 PM
Virginia is zone 3.

As for the question, it depends on which discipline you are talking about.

War Admiral
Apr. 3, 2011, 11:01 PM
Mmmmmm, to a point, HunterRider. But the startling statistic I remember someone from USEF giving out a couple of years ago is that California alone had TEN THOUSAND dues-paying members who checked "H/J" as their primary discipline. So, just on sheer numbers alone, I'm thinking you'd have to be really consistent and show a LOT to be in the hunt for just about any division out on the West Coast. At least that's my theory! :lol:

HunterRider992
Apr. 4, 2011, 01:01 AM
I meant hunters vs. jumpers vs. equitation, since this board tends to cover all three. It is understood that New England tends to have more of an equitation focus than the rest of the country, and I've heard that jumpers are more popular than hunters on the west coast.

monalisa
Apr. 4, 2011, 08:04 AM
I asked a judge this question, which zone she felt was the most competitive and judges a lot - all over the US. I was expecting her to say that it was a toss up between CA and Long Island (whichever zones those are) but she said that hands down it was Virginia (Zone 3).

supershorty628
Apr. 4, 2011, 08:56 AM
I checked off 2, 4, and 10.

STA
Apr. 4, 2011, 10:06 AM
I have lived and shown in zones 1, 2, 7, and 10. Zone 2 is the most competitive.

chunky munky
Apr. 4, 2011, 10:21 AM
I have lived in Zones, 2, 3, 4, and 5 and travel to 10 fairly often. I would have to say Zone 2. Zone 3 is pretty competitive in the hunters, but weak in the Eq unfortunately. Hopefully that is changing a bit :-)

Rel6
Apr. 4, 2011, 10:52 AM
Zone 2 is pretty competitive (but I don't know enough about others to say its the most!) I know that when I applied to EAP I wanted to apply to a different zone because I didn't think I'd make it into zone 2. I did make it for this year, but I was pretty surprised.

fordtraktor
Apr. 4, 2011, 11:20 AM
Zone 2 and 3 for H/J. There is basically no big eq in Virginia but the hunters are fabulous. Even the local circuits are comparable to the As in the midwest from what I've seen.

But I know nothing about California/West Coast. There are very nice hunters out there but I gather not the depth there is in the East. The jumpers in CA seem to be very competitive though, some great barns there.

RyuEquestrian
Apr. 4, 2011, 11:34 AM
I used to live in NY and found that Zone 2 was extremely competitive for the Hunters and Equitation. Probably due to the high concentration of shows in such a small area. People (including myself durng my Junior career) were chasing points every week. Some people even showed two shows a weekend.