PDA

View Full Version : Horse Insurance

DreamsofbeingaHunter
Apr. 3, 2011, 09:03 PM
Hi guys just wondering what your thoughts were on this. I have a 16yr show horse and debating on whether or not I should keep him insured. I keep going back and forward because he is older and more prone to getting hurt and actually needing to use the insurance. However, I feel he would have more risks for surgeries and less likely to come back after an injury that requires the insurance to be used.

He has been perfectly health to date minus his bowed tendon back 6 or so years ago. He only gets bare minimum maintenance because that's all he needs for now. Meanings he's on a senior joint supplement, estrone and gets accupunctured as needed, I also add MSM after a lesson, show or hard ride.

So what are your thoughts?

gottagrey
Apr. 4, 2011, 12:59 AM
Need to check w/your insurance company and/or check around because some of your options for insuring him might be limited especially for Major Medical

STA
Apr. 4, 2011, 01:14 PM
16 years old does not seem that old to me. Speak with your agent to see if there are any limitations because of your horses age or previous health issues. If not I kept my older horses insured for a nominal amount to keep the major medical coverage.

SUET1999
Apr. 4, 2011, 05:00 PM
I am a huge advocate for insurance, especially since I had the misfortune of having to make a claim:(
If I did not have insurance, there is no way I would have been able to afford another horse of the same level. I do know that my insurance carrier has limits of sorts on "older" horses, but I think that varies by carrier. Good luck

Lucassb
Apr. 4, 2011, 05:12 PM
Most carriers have strict limits on the insurance they offer a horse of that age. You may find that the available coverage is expensive and offers limited protection. If that is the case, you might consider placing the money you'd otherwise spend on a premium into a health care account to cover expenses that might be incurred due to illness or injury instead, or even looking into a low rate credit card to be reserved for that purpose.

DreamsofbeingaHunter
Apr. 4, 2011, 09:03 PM
He is currently insured for major medical and mortality, we dropped loss of use on him about 2 years ago. I am no longer required to get him a 'physical' to renew the policy which just happened about 2 years ago as well. I know that he is only insured for what we bought him for 11 years ago so I would never be able to replace him with a similar horse with the same training. Also, I'm pretty sure colic surgery would cost more than he is insured for so I wasn't sure if there was a point that's all. I believe my premium is about $800 a year.

Any other suggestions or advice is appreciated.

Thanks guys.