PDA

View Full Version : IHSA riders, how'd your season go?!

To the MAX
Apr. 3, 2011, 07:41 PM
Just had Regionals yesterday (my last as an undergrad!) and was third in Open Fences...so I qualified for Zones! I'm super excited. Anyone else moving on and where will your Zones be held? I'm headed down to Bridgewater College, if anyone else will be there come say hi! :D

kateh
Apr. 3, 2011, 08:06 PM
Congratulations and good luck!!

I rode western for Fall semester! We started up a western team and I joined it for kicks and giggles. I actually didn't embarrass myself either! In our region for western they do call-backs instead of giving out ribbons in multiple sections, and I made it into 9/10 callbacks, and got some ribbons! Surprisingly our team managed to pull reserve too, despite having only one "real" western rider (our open girl). My friend, a total HP who's never ridden western in her life, pointed up in her first season.

I also...er...quit IHSA this semester. Wasn't enjoying lessons, so started riding on my own somewhere else and was loving it until I got hurt. So I guess I could have had a better season :lol:

Rel6
Apr. 3, 2011, 08:18 PM
I'm always curious, fellow open rider, did you come on the team as open/open?

We seem to get a lot of riders with a open flat/intermediate fences split. I came on as open/open bc I was doing 3'6'' jumpers and had done the children's eq a few years back. What about you?

Equisis
Apr. 3, 2011, 08:29 PM
Congrats on qualifying for zones! Our regionals were held yesterday too (my last one as well!) and our team ended 2nd in our region and I'm headed to zone 6 finals this weekend at Otterbein. I haven't been to zones before so I'm excited to go. Best of luck to you! Do you have teammates who qualified with you?

To the MAX
Apr. 3, 2011, 08:38 PM
Rel6 - I started as a freshman in intermediate. I moved up to open, flat first then fences, both around the middle of Sophomore year. I had competed in children's hunters and eq, but mostly at unrated shows so my placement form actually said I should be in novice, but I clearly wasn't at novice level.

Kateh - That's so funny! Glad you had fun riding western! I never got into it, even though we had a really good western team my first two years. Sorry you weren't enjoying IHSA before you got hurt. I saw the pictures of your brace on another thread, ouch! :(

To the MAX
Apr. 3, 2011, 08:40 PM
Equisis - Congrats to you too! Sadly no teammates will be moving on with me. Actually, only one other girl on our team made it to regionals and she won't be moving on. :( Just me and my coach next weekend!

supershorty628
Apr. 3, 2011, 08:44 PM
Congratulations to everyone who had a good season!

I didn't do IHSA this year since I came back to school at the beginning of our second semester, but I'm going to try out for our western team next year to see how that goes!

Rel6, I came into IHSA doing open/open (as a freshman) because I had done a lot of medal classes/filled big eq classes and was doing the high junior jumpers at the time. Doesn't seem like a ton of people come in as open/open though.

StrawberryFields
Apr. 3, 2011, 11:12 PM
good job To the Max! i was actually at our regions finals this weekend helping out. the SU team didn't have anyone qualify this time around but it's only our second year doing it! we should have about 7 people showing in regionals next year!! How fun was the banquet??? my friends and I crashed the prom that was in the same hotel, lol.

I only did two shows this semester(because thats how much there were). First one was at UDEL and i got a 2nd in both novice fences and novice flat. My second iHSA show was at valley forge and i got a 3rd in flat. I have some points from when i rode at UMD so hopefully early next semster i'll move up to intermediate! :)
GOOD LUCK AT ZONES!!! go region 4 zone 4!!

Perfect10
Apr. 3, 2011, 11:12 PM
OP, you're in my zone! Good luck at zones!

My season went well, for the most part. I was proud of myself, which is what I wanted most out of the season. I'm only a freshman, and only in W/T/C, since I haven't shown at many rated shows. My coach was very happy with the way I rode this season, even if the judging didn't always reflect that.

HowDoILook
Apr. 4, 2011, 12:29 AM
Hey! I go to Bridgewater!!! Ill definitely see you around. I didnt point out this year but I should next year. Im riding for BC as a team rider though so Im stoked. Ill be there all day so definitely try to find me.

Are you guys planning on coming to dinner the night before?

StrawberryFields
Apr. 4, 2011, 12:38 AM
OP- was looking at your youtube videos for the regionals. you were the one the judge stopped on course bc she thought you jumped the wrong fence right?? that was SUCH terrible luck!!! good thing they let you reride

Equisis
Apr. 4, 2011, 02:01 AM
OP, I just reread your post. How many riders does each region send to your zones? For individuals, we only send first and second place from regionals on to zones, then first and second from zones to nationals (unless one of them cannot go, of course). Maybe these numbers change by zone depending on size? I watched your videos as well- rough luck getting called off course, especially at regionals where there's a bit more at stake and nerves are higher. Glad you got to re-ride!

To the MAX
Apr. 4, 2011, 08:38 AM
HowDoILook - Awesome, definitely introduce yourself! I'm Kristie from Washington College. Me and my coach will be at the dinner on Saturday night. :)

Sarah - Yep, that was me! I was devastated when my coach told me I had actually been off course after all that happened...but thankfully every single coach and even all the riders in my class thought I deserved a re-ride. It's a shame because looking at the video, my first ride was going so well (it did not feel that good in person!) and my re-ride definitely wasn't as nice. And I'm positive I wouldn't have gone off course if I hadn't been stopped. Oh well! In my four years of IHSA, we have never ever asked for a re-ride for me (even when I probably should have gotten one) so I thought it was a pretty good time to cash that in! :lol:

Equisis - Yep, our Zone sends top 3 from regionals. I think it depends on the size of the zone, because when I was part of Z3R2 we only sent the top 2 riders as well.

supershorty628
Apr. 4, 2011, 08:55 AM
I believe it's not dependent on the size of the zone (as frankly, the former Zones 8 and 9 got screwed in the re-zoning process...I won't get started on this), but on the number of riders in that zone. The Midwest and West coast zones are ridiculously large, but we only send the top 2 from regionals to zones and zones to nationals. I think many of the east coast zones send the top three because there are so many more riders.

To the MAX
Apr. 4, 2011, 08:59 AM
I believe it's not dependent on the size of the zone (as frankly, the former Zones 8 and 9 got screwed in the re-zoning process...I won't get started on this), but on the number of riders in that zone. The Midwest and West coast zones are ridiculously large, but we only send the top 2 from regionals to zones and zones to nationals. I think many of the east coast zones send the top three because there are so many more riders.

Yep, sorry I wasn't clear, I meant size in riders, not in actual area. :)

Renn/aissance
Apr. 4, 2011, 10:43 AM
My school's team had a great first year of IHSA showing. As a team Towson University only did five shows and we weren't able to field a full team at any of them; for most of the season we had holes in three classes. But we were in the top third of the competition at all but one of our horse shows (I believe that we were consistently the top out of those schools without a full team) and none of our riders ever came home empty-handed. We have three riders whom we expect to point up very quickly next year (10 points to go!) and I'd be in the hunt too if I weren't graduating :sigh: . On a personal note- I won my last-ever IHSA class, so that was nice. (I cried. :lol: )

Rel6
Apr. 4, 2011, 11:02 AM
Rel6, I came into IHSA doing open/open (as a freshman) because I had done a lot of medal classes/filled big eq classes and was doing the high junior jumpers at the time. Doesn't seem like a ton of people come in as open/open though.

Yea seems like! You do get some crazy splits though. I had a friend who was also doing the junior jumpers and came in as open fences/novice flat I think. She very rarely did flat classes but was a beast in the jumpers.

RyuEquestrian
Apr. 4, 2011, 11:36 AM
Congratulations everyone! I miss being on my collegiate team and competing in the IHSA!

To the MAX
Apr. 4, 2011, 11:44 AM
My school's team had a great first year of IHSA showing. As a team Towson University only did five shows and we weren't able to field a full team at any of them; for most of the season we had holes in three classes. But we were in the top third of the competition at all but one of our horse shows (I believe that we were consistently the top out of those schools without a full team) and none of our riders ever came home empty-handed. We have three riders whom we expect to point up very quickly next year (10 points to go!) and I'd be in the hunt too if I weren't graduating :sigh: . On a personal note- I won my last-ever IHSA class, so that was nice. (I cried. :lol: )

Awesome! You can always continue on with Alumni! =)

Talk of the Town
Apr. 4, 2011, 02:08 PM
Equisis- I'll be heading to Zone 6 finals next weekend also. What did you qualify for? I'll be showing in alumni flat and fences. Good luck!

Sarah616
Apr. 4, 2011, 07:19 PM
I go to Bridgewater as well, so I'll be sure to look out for you. I'll be taking pictures of our team all day, and can certainly take pictures for anyone else as well. :)

I didn't qualify for Regionals this year, but I showed in Intermediate flat, and one show in Novice Fences. We did qualify our team for Zones, as well as 6 individual riders.

mckenna310
Apr. 4, 2011, 07:57 PM
I didnt qualify because I didn't show enough, but was close. I had a great season, lots of reds and blues.

We had a lot of riders qualify yesterday at Regionals, and we are hosting Zone 3 Zones this weekend. (Centenary College).

I am maybe being considered for the team? Lol not sure but I will be there either way

CR Gorge Girl
Apr. 4, 2011, 10:02 PM
Definitely did better than last year!! I qualified for regionals in both flat and fences, ended up 3rd in regionals for fences, so just barely missed zones! I was really happy with my ride. Flat I ended up 4th.

Our team is sending 4 riders to Nationals this year which is pretty cool. 2 western riders (an open and a walk trotter) and 2 english (Cacchione and intermediate fences).

Western I did better this year as well, but didn't have a great ride at regionals and got 5th. It was the worst I placed all weekend. Oh well, I was FREEZING cold and really just ready to be done.

daisy_chain
Apr. 5, 2011, 03:54 PM
We've had a great year so far--we won regionals as a team by 60 points and 6 individuals moved on to Zones/Semis (W/T/C, 2 in novice flat and an open fences rider, as well as an Intermediate and Open Reining). We just wrapped up Zones at Cal Poly Pomona this weekend--our team won the Zone and sent on 3 individuals (one in Western)! We also had so much fun exploring socal!

Whoever was talking about Zone 8---I do think it's a little ridiculous that only 2 of each class get to move on when our Zone represents basically the entire western US.

Maybe I'll get to meet some of you in Kentucky in a few weeks--anyone planning on trying to dash over to the Derby??

supershorty628
Apr. 5, 2011, 04:10 PM
We've had a great year so far--we won regionals as a team by 60 points and 6 individuals moved on to Zones/Semis (W/T/C, 2 in novice flat and an open fences rider, as well as an Intermediate and Open Reining). We just wrapped up Zones at Cal Poly Pomona this weekend--our team won the Zone and sent on 3 individuals (one in Western)! We also had so much fun exploring socal!

Whoever was talking about Zone 8---I do think it's a little ridiculous that only 2 of each class get to move on when our Zone represents basically the entire western US.

Maybe I'll get to meet some of you in Kentucky in a few weeks--anyone planning on trying to dash over to the Derby??

That was me.. the new Zone 7 isn't any better - we go from the Canadian border to the Mexican border. I know the zones are structured by number of riders, but really?!

imac34
Apr. 5, 2011, 07:08 PM
my team tied for first at zone 5 finals so we'll be going to nationals! see y'all there!

HowDoILook
Apr. 10, 2011, 08:30 PM
To the Max how did you end up doing? I wish I could have come over and said hi but we were all super busy! Who did you draw?

To the MAX
Apr. 10, 2011, 08:38 PM
To the Max how did you end up doing? I wish I could have come over and said hi but we were all super busy! Who did you draw?

Haha, I sucked. Uh...kind of forgot how to ride. :lol: Oh well...guess it was the nerves. My trainer and I also grossly misjudged the length of my stirrups so that was fun.
I drew City Lights. SO COOL. Honestly, every horse that was there I would have been just as excited to ride. You guys have some seriously awesome horses! And thanks to everyone from Bridgewater who made sure it ran smoothly even after the little setback we had! :)

HowDoILook
Apr. 10, 2011, 08:45 PM
Haha City Lights is a really cool horse. Not one of ours unfortunately, but we would definitely take him off of Hollins hands if we ever got the chance :lol: We are definitely blessed with the horses we have! They know they are super stars and rightfully so! Im so glad you had a good time!

supershorty628
Apr. 10, 2011, 08:58 PM
Can a Centenary person give Graffiti a kiss for me? I rode him in the Cacchione Cup last year and loved him...saw him at HITS Saugerties later that summer, too.