PDA

View Full Version : Barns in Blacksburg, VA???

sarah88
Apr. 3, 2011, 06:49 PM
So I am posting this to help out my sister who will be a freshman at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg VA in the fall. Only problem is what to do with the horse... We have a few friends down there who ride, and have been told that there really isn't much in the way of decent barns in the area (no clue how accurate this is).. would like a stall and decent turnout and hopefully stay under 500/month (she will be paying her own board for the most part!) So suggestions on barns? Indoor/covered arena a plus though we haven't found any of those yet...
Problem 2- No Trainer...She would like to be able to have the horse in regular work and lessons would be a plus..but that is the other thing that seems to be in short supply around the area. While she events, and would like to keep doing so a quality dressage or jumper trainer would work too... preferably at same barn as boarding or one who will travel bc she doesn't have a trailer...So any suggestions?
Thanks!

piaffequeen
Apr. 3, 2011, 08:14 PM
Caroline Atherholt is in Eagle Rock, VA-4* rider-competed at Rolex and Badminton-offers boarding, training and lessons. Her phone number is 540-960-1307-best bet is to text her!

She is EXCELLENT and would be willng to take her to events. If that is too far I think its about an hour she has clients that may have openings at their barn that she teaches out of!

AliCat518
Apr. 3, 2011, 08:32 PM
When I was at Radford, I boarded at Walnut Spring Stables in Blacksburg. The Radford IHSA team rode out of there. Not the BEST facilities, but clean, safe and the horses were very well cared for. HUGE outdoor with good footing and nice jumps as well as a big lunging ring added onto the ring. No indoor, but thats typical for the area. Stall board was $375 ish for a stall in the bottom barn when I was there a few years ago. (Top barn was supposedly better, but I was very happy with the bottom barn). I'd recommend it! I think its under different management now though. I found my favorite trainer ever at that barn too!

crittertwitter
Apr. 3, 2011, 10:42 PM
There's Catawba Equestrian Center. It's about 30 minutes away from Tech (but it's a beautiful drive). There's a small indoor and the barn is absolute wonderful. The outdoor jumping arena has some issue when it rains hard. However, the care is great and the people are wonderful.