PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a new show bridle - input apreciated

ohsareee
Apr. 3, 2011, 01:19 PM
Hey all,
So I've saved up a bit of cash in hopes to purchase a new show bridle and I've been doing some research on the net. I was originally looking to get an edgewood bridle but, looking through the Dover catalogue, so many look yummy. I had previously been using a Wellington(from Dover) bridle which I absolutely adored, it oiled up beautifully, very supple but the horse size didn't fit my guy as well as I'd liked. It was a bit snug. Now the wellington comes in a monocrown which I really like but I have always heard great things about edgewood and the edgewood. I went to JustBridles.com and they have a fantastic measurement chart which I measured my schooling bridle to(which fits my horse perfectly, but its just a plain raised bridle) and the edgewood horse size has almost idential specs. I had also briefly looked into the Bobby's bridles but couldn't find a good size chart for them. I really don't want to keep shipping bridles back and forth. I also had originally thought the Showmark bridles were good quality but I read some reviews that they take a while to really oil up well and become supple etc. I have a showmark fig 8 which I bought used and its wonderful quality. If any of you could give me some imput, my horse is 17.3 warmblood but has a slightly refined head so he is right inbetween horse and oversize so my schooling bridle is horse and fits him fine, the wellington bridle I have is horse but its snug and I purchased an oversize which was a bit too big from Smart Pak which I returned. Any help is greatly appreciated! I prefer a raised, fancy stitched and padded show bridle to complement his head.

indygirl2560
Apr. 3, 2011, 02:07 PM
I'm on the hunt for a new bridle as well. My friend has been letting me borrow her very nice Edgewood bridle for awhile and I love it. My horse is only 16hh but has a larger head and needs a padded bridle and my friend's bridle looks great! My friend recently bought a Nunn Finer bridle, which was a lot cheaper than the Edgewood, and it looks really nice too. If you have the money, I'd say go for the Edgewood. And maybe look into Nunn Finer as well, (I don't know how there sizing goes), since my friend's new bridle looks just as nice as the Edgewood.

STA
Apr. 3, 2011, 02:56 PM
Try a consignment shop in your area. You can find good quality tack at great prices. Saving money to go to more horse shows is always a good thing.

Rel6
Apr. 3, 2011, 04:59 PM
I *love* Arc De Triumphe. I had a 17.1 hand warmblood mare. I bought the oversize imperial figure 8 and a breastplate plus running attachment. When we started doing eq I also got a standing attachment and plain noseband. Beautiful bridle this oiled really nicely and is super soft. The only downside is the price, but for me it was totally worth it. She had a pretty thick head, but I found we had a lot of room to go up or down in sizing.

lucyeq
Apr. 3, 2011, 07:31 PM
I LOVE my Bobby's. It's my favorite bridle EVER. I recently got a new horse and I'm definitely getting one for him (my other doesn't fit him). The sizes are pretty standard. The cob size fits my overgrown pony perfectly. I've been using it on my new guy simply because I don't have anything for him right now, and it's working pretty well. I think the horse size would fit him perfectly.

pattnic
Apr. 4, 2011, 09:51 AM
Somewhere I have a size chart for Bobby's... I'll have to see if I can find it for you. I also have the measurements for the Showmark line.

As I recall, the sizing of Showmark compared to Edgewood is not the same, so I ultimately went with Edgewood for my difficult-to-fit horse, because A) the sizing was closer to what he needed, and B) there was better availability of individual pieces I could swap out.

As far as Showmark goes, the newer ones seem to be a better quality than the ones of about three years ago. They revamped the whole line; when they did that, the quality seems to have improved. I also see the in the newest Dover catalog, they now have a full line of Showmark replacement parts, which they did not when I was looking a year ago.

I would not say that Bobby's (even the higher-end) is comparable to either.

You might also look at the SmartPak bridles. I have measurements for those somewhere, too!

BAC
Apr. 4, 2011, 10:53 AM
www.PremierTackOutlet.com (http://www.PremierTackOutlet.com) discounts high end tack and Rebecca is great to work with.

I love my Edgewood, Antares and Hadfields bridles, (although not in that order) and have heard good things about the Smartpak line as well although I have no personal experience.

callie208
Apr. 4, 2011, 11:01 AM
I love my Edgewood, very classic look and supple leather. They also last forever, as long as you take decent care of them. Got a great deal on mine on eBay. My WB is also large headed and in that in-between size and I Bought him a horse size, and it fits him fine.