PDA

View Full Version : Boyds cats.

riderboy
Apr. 3, 2011, 10:16 AM
Great article In the COTH about Boyd Martin and his love of cats. Who knew? Most men are dog lovers. I have to say, after we had our barn cats, I'm a big convert. House cats? Ehhh.. not so much.
I still love our dogs, but they are totally unable to catch mice in the barn. I'm still guessing dogs are more popular than cats but after reading about Boyd, maybe not.

goodmorning
Apr. 3, 2011, 10:45 AM
I liked his t-shirt ;)

pharmgirl
Apr. 3, 2011, 11:37 AM
I liked his t-shirt ;)

Me too! :D

ACMEeventing
Apr. 3, 2011, 12:20 PM
I like the KFC - breakfast of champions

JER
Apr. 3, 2011, 01:02 PM
My cat has expressed interest in joining Boyd's string.

I think it has something to do with the part where Silva says Boyd feeds his cats to the point of obesity.

KBG Eventer
Apr. 3, 2011, 01:20 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/boyd-martin-fancies-feline (In case someone needs the link).

lcw579
Apr. 3, 2011, 01:47 PM
We read that this morning. My daughter, the cat lover, adores him even more. Even the non-horsey daughter is now a bit enamored.

sandyliz
Apr. 3, 2011, 02:19 PM
Love my dogs, but the barn cat rules. I'm not sure about cats being less spook-stigating than dogs though. After the 1st out of nowhere mach speed sprint from one end of the ring to the next- tail straight up in the air (the cat's...although it was nearly my filly's as well) I've learned the benefit of knowing the whereabouts of the little orange schemer. Can be especially useful when working on a hoof :mad:

Christa P
Apr. 3, 2011, 02:48 PM
Love my dogs, but the barn cat rules. I'm not sure about cats being less spook-stigating than dogs though. After the 1st out of nowhere mach speed sprint from one end of the ring to the next- tail straight up in the air (the cat's...although it was nearly my filly's as well) I've learned the benefit of knowing the whereabouts of the little orange schemer. Can be especially useful when working on a hoof :mad:

Its especially entertaining when they are hunting (or even just walking) in the bushes and trees next to the arena :lol:.

Christa

Firmly in the feline camp.

Badger
Apr. 3, 2011, 03:23 PM
I thought this article was an April Fool's spoof, it is so over-the-top.

TuxWink
Apr. 3, 2011, 04:25 PM

I think it is. ;)

Genius article, though.

I think this is my favorite line, “I’m making a bid to get a big bronze statute of a cat at the entrance at the farm,” said Boyd. “This may or may not get in with my wife.”

Snaffle81
Apr. 3, 2011, 04:41 PM
I think it is. ;)

Genius article, though.

I think this is my favorite line, “I’m making a bid to get a big bronze statute of a cat at the entrance at the farm,” said Boyd. “This may or may not get in with my wife.”

Except this is not the first time Boyd has spoken of his love for his fancy felines. :lol:

flutie1
Apr. 3, 2011, 04:42 PM
Great article In the COTH about Boyd Martin and his love of cats. Who knew? Most men are dog lovers. I have to say, after we had our barn cats, I'm a big convert. House cats? Ehhh.. not so much.
I still love our dogs, but they are totally unable to catch mice in the barn. I'm still guessing dogs are more popular than cats but after reading about Boyd, maybe not.

I'll pit my older dachshund against any cat in the mouse killing department! The little sucker is both fast and dedicated!

TuxWink
Apr. 3, 2011, 04:51 PM
Except this is not the first time Boyd has spoken of his love for his fancy felines. :lol:
That makes this article 10x funnier to me now.

VicariousRider
Apr. 3, 2011, 05:15 PM
FYI: this is NOT an April fools joke! My boyfriend (who is very good pals with Boyd and not a rider) had to house sit the cats for the first week or so that Boyd and Silva were in Aiken. Boyd would make my boyfriend send him phone pics of the cats and "put them on the phone." And the cat gym is not a joke. I've seen it! Neither is the story about the cat that almost drive Silva away in Australia.

Boyd seriously ADORES these cats! He's a nut...

KellyS
Apr. 3, 2011, 05:16 PM
Real men love cats. :)

My husband is as big a cat lover as I am...we've been together 12 years and have had cats the entire time. It wasn't until last year that we got our first dog.

We have five cats right now--all indoor/outdoor. They are just awesome. Four of them sleep in bed along with us and the dog...good thing we have a king-size bed.

If Boyd is truly a cat lover then I've become a bigger fan. :)

Fractious Fox
Apr. 3, 2011, 06:33 PM
Oh my, I like him even more now! I often tell people "I love all cats, but I don't love all dogs." It's true - even a grouchy cat that is all spit an claws makes me giggle uncontrollably. Then again, I think most cats know I'm truly a friend of the felines and I rarely meet a cat that doesn't warm up to me at some point.

I love the photo of Boyd, in his special tee shirt, with a fancy spread of KFC, and his felines politely enjoying their dinner - and look, they didn't even have their elbows on the table! What good manners!

IFG
Apr. 3, 2011, 08:10 PM

That's what I assumed. Especially when I saw the KFC.

Gestalt
Apr. 3, 2011, 08:44 PM
I love the photo of Boyd, in his special tee shirt, with a fancy spread of KFC, and his felines politely enjoying their dinner - and look, they didn't even have their elbows on the table! What good manners!

Ditto! Cats rule the world, I love dogs, but cats are the... well they're the "cat's meow" :lol: :lol:

LookmaNohands
Apr. 3, 2011, 10:28 PM
CATS RULE! DOGS DROOL!!
:D:D:D

skip916
Apr. 3, 2011, 10:34 PM
i read this article aloud to my truckmates on the way to school XC today, and we were ROLLING laughing. it was very well written and so funny! i love hearing about the real lives of our upper level riders. next time we see boyd at an event we have a gift for him ;)

Eventer007
Apr. 3, 2011, 10:43 PM
ok, fine. like Boyd didn't have enough things going for him in my book. Now he has to love cats!! Just one more reason for me to be completly hooked... :lol:

judybigredpony
Apr. 4, 2011, 07:57 AM
My Savana Cat and Bengal will stand down a fox let alone a few Jack Russells!
7 is my barn cat herd lucky number.....

riderboy
Apr. 4, 2011, 08:06 AM
My Savana Cat and Bengal will stand down a fox let alone a few Jack Russells!
7 is my barn cat herd lucky number.....

Ours were done in by a hissing possum. Whew, it was one ugly critter. Finally got it in a Havahart and outta there!

purplnurpl
Apr. 4, 2011, 07:48 PM
yey for Boyd!!

My newish boyfriend gets along famously with my cat.
My cat is SUCH a momma's boy but when the SO entered the equation all dynamics changed. Whenever my man is around my cat totally dumps me and hangs with him.

Painted Wings
Apr. 7, 2011, 11:34 AM
I loved the article but disappointed that Boyd dropped his cat for a girl. That would have been a deal breaker at my house. I'm so lucky to have a husband that loves cats. I think he's worse than me.

leilatigress
Apr. 7, 2011, 12:25 PM
Hubby adores cats while I prefer dogs. We got a pair from a fellow COTHer and couldn't be happier. I take mine to the barn with me while I ride and they hunt the mice and play with their full time barn cohorts. Everyone is amazed when I call and they come and jump in their carriers to go back home. More interesting is the size difference between them and my mom's city cat. She's 5 lbs and their 18 and 19 lbs respectively of well honed muscle. Everyone jokes they are the corn fed variety of cats versus the city slicker small and leans.

RacetrackReject
Apr. 7, 2011, 12:29 PM
I was just going to message you and ask about the kitties LT, but I see they aren't kitties anymore..lol. I kept the long-hair calico and the male Siamese. They are such good cats!

I have to admit that I am more a dog person, but my dog loves his kitties.

flyingchange
Apr. 7, 2011, 12:33 PM
That picture is hilarious. He's off his rocker. KFC, Hooters T-shirt, kitty-cat place settings at the table. Eventers really are "different." As most cat lovers tend to be. Mine came down to Georgia with me for the winter. Although they rode in crates in the trailer dressing room and NOT in the car with us, as one of them would have driven me absolutely bonkers for the 11 hour trip (MEOWWWWWing all the way down 95). Been there done that (11 hours of MEOWWing all the way up to CT a few years ago - learned my lesson). I've been surrounded by non-cat people of late - nice to read about somebody else who is more ocd on his cats than me.

flyingchange
Apr. 7, 2011, 12:35 PM
I'm with you PW. If an SO pulled out the Kitty or Me ultimatum, that would be the end of that.

leilatigress
Apr. 7, 2011, 12:48 PM
I was just going to message you and ask about the kitties LT, but I see they aren't kitties anymore..lol. I kept the long-hair calico and the male Siamese. They are such good cats!

I have to admit that I am more a dog person, but my dog loves his kitties.

I honestly have never met such loving, affectionate, adoring cats ever. Kid(Yeah that name stuck) Orange tabby who gets a 10 min love session every morning and evening and knows several tricks and commands. He's an okay mouser and spends most of his barn time being adored and petted by whoever is closest. Skittles the Siamese sleeps at the foot of our bed in a ying yang pose with his brother. Smarter than his brother and an excellent mouser. He's a bit more shy but loves his people and will greet everyone. Both play with the dogs in tag and both fetch rather nicely. If/when I get a barn I am so scooping up whatever kitties you got on hand.