PDA

View Full Version : Hunt coats that aren't ovens...

Across Sicily
Apr. 3, 2011, 02:08 AM
I have a collection of perfectly nice, perfectly furnace-like wool hunt coats. They are lovely... until you wear them in 80*+ heat.

So. With the advent of all this wonderful Coolmax stuff, do they make a coat that doesn't fry the wearer these days?

sonomacounty
Apr. 3, 2011, 09:04 AM
Great question.

Although I don't have an answer for you. I'd so love a coat with Coolmax and lots of stretch.

[Eeek - can you believe, something that could make sense - horrors. Where are these companies minds at, I wonder? This is not that hard to realize we Need that. ;) ]

I adore Tropical Rider enduracool breeches, btw. That's all I buy.

Mukluk
Apr. 3, 2011, 10:22 AM
I have a collection of perfectly nice, perfectly furnace-like wool hunt coats. They are lovely... until you wear them in 80*+ heat.

So. With the advent of all this wonderful Coolmax stuff, do they make a coat that doesn't fry the wearer these days?

If they can put a man on the moon, I'd think a clever tailor could install some sort of air vent/cooling system to reduce heat. Or fashion some sort of vest to be worn under the coat in which you can place cold packs?

Jump on to my soap box....
I am excited to see that they are now manufacturing more stretch/high tech material clothing. I think of it like skiing- in the old days folks used leather boots, metal cable bindings, wooden skis, bamboo poles, and decidedly non technical jackets. Ski clothing and equipment is now amazingly high tech- it is now much safer and more efficient. Ski racers wear suits that allow virtually unrestricted movement (yay).
In our sport, Riding helmets have definitely become more technically sophisticated- I certainly hope the rest of our gear that would benefit from a tech overhaul will follow suit. And I hope the prices of those stretchy coats will come down!
Step down from soap box...

kelsey97
Apr. 3, 2011, 10:22 AM
I hear you!! I've seen higher-end coats ($500 +) like sonomacounty described, Grand Prix, Gersemi, & Animo. They are a bit too "jumper ring" for me.
Is it too much to ask for a stretchy, Coolmax coat in a traditional hunt coat style that has a reasonable price tag?!?

sonomacounty
Apr. 3, 2011, 10:48 AM
Still not enough stretch out there right now, Mukluk. JMO.

MaybeMorgan
Apr. 3, 2011, 11:28 AM
I think Lycra makes the material hot, too.
100% worsted wool is much cooler than partial synthetic.

sansibar
Apr. 3, 2011, 12:23 PM
GPA jackets are amazing! They are not hot at all. I love mine, too bad it doesn't fit me any more! :(

holaamigoalter
Apr. 3, 2011, 05:32 PM
Charles Ancona jackets are amazing. He makes a BEAUTIFUL hunt coat that is not hot, wicks sweat, and fits like a glove. Mine is on order now :)

They are only $500, so on par with pretty much all other technical fabric coats but the fabric is so much nicer.

He is very hard to get a hold of. He made mine custom but most people would fit off the rack, I just have monkey arms. Kate Levy wears hers when she is not wearing the GPA one.

Right now he only has black, but he is doing a navy one soon :) The one I ordered is black with silver thread, very subtle and not noticeable unless your standing next to me.

Across Sicily
Apr. 4, 2011, 02:58 AM
Hmmm.

I have now made it my mission to find one of these for the summer. I am highly motivated because I hate being hot...

I've found a few interesting-looking contenders, but am hesitant to bite the bullet 'til I know more!

So. With that said (and this might require a new thread....) has anyone had experience with the Grand Prix softshell? How about the RJ Classics one? (it looks much too short to me, sadly.)